Maidstone AKA The Squatters | Vital Football

Maidstone AKA The Squatters

HarrowGill

Vital Youth Team
How is it that they have managed to secure a lucrative home friendly against Crystal Palace?!
They have already sold well over 4,000 tickets meaning they are guaranteed a new record attendance at the Gallagher/3G-Lego stadium.

Sure, Palace are unlikely to risk injuries to Bolassie, Cabaye, Benteke, and other first teamers etc, but I still can't see how they can pull this off whilst we deal with a familiar, run-of-the-mill home friendly against Ipswich Town.

If we were in the conference, we'd sell 4000 tickets to a game against Palace. In reality though, if we did have them here, we'd sell no more than 2000 at a push.

If 4,000 want to turn out to watch a training session, then good luck to them.
Not for me I'm afraid.
I probably wouldn't go if it was free entrance.
Friendlies are valuable for the players, but hardly a spectator sport.

shotshy - 4/7/2017 15:28

If 4,000 want to turn out to watch a training session, then good luck to them.
Not for me I'm afraid.
I probably wouldn't go if it was free entrance.
Friendlies are valuable for the players, but hardly a spectator sport.
Ah, I remember going to some pre-season friendlies with ridiculous attendances. Wasn't there something like 4,000 at a Dover vs Gills game?

Palace probably realise that the "artificial pitches causes cancer and WWIII" fearmongering is bollocks.

Disrespectful fuckwits...After what happened in the 90's the current owners have done amazing to get Maidstone back on their own patch and climbed up the leagues again! They have had to do further work on the stadium due to overachieving and I hope they get back in the football league before too long! I hope Ebbsfleet get in the league too for that matter!

Don't bother me in the slightest,if Ebbsfleet,Maidstone,Dover or Bromley get into Football League,they have all put in huge efforts recently.

mozzer59 - 4/7/2017 18:42

Disrespectful fuckwits...After what happened in the 90's the current owners have done amazing to get Maidstone back on their own patch and climbed up the leagues again! They have had to do further work on the stadium due to overachieving and I hope they get back in the football league before too long! I hope Ebbsfleet get in the league too for that matter!
While I agree with your comments about Maidstone there's no way you can say Ebbsfleet deserve the Football League. They're only being bankrolled and if their previous attendances in the Conference are anything to go by they simply won't have as much potential.

Want our unique claim to fame as the only league team in God's own county to remain.

I doubt very much they'd risk playing Bolasie, especially when he plays for Everton and is a long term injury casualty :14:

Good luck to the three Kent National League teams. Ebbsfleet are the highest Kent ranked club in betting stakes for promotion to the EFL. I don`t begrudge them success, no-one has an absolute right to be in the top British leagues. Yes, Ebbsfleet is backed by a large corporation but the infrastructure they are providing includes housing, hotels etc. and in a few years time Ebbsfleet may well be in a large stadium and be a bigger club than us, with more fans than us, that doesn`t bother me, good luck to them. Good luck to Dover and Maidstone too, the latter could also be an EFL club within two or three years. Has to be good for Kent football.

Sky are bankrolling the Premiership, why should "localised" football loving entrepreneurs not put money into football. The many, mainly foreign, investors that put money into the Premiership are doing it for profit, not for the love of British football.

National League fixtures are being released at 1pm today. There could well be some decent games to watch in Kent when the Gills are away, why not give it a try !

No way am I interested in any other team than the Gills or spending my entertainment money on any other team either

Arthurly - 5/7/2017 11:12

Good luck to Ebbsfleet, Dover and Maidstone. As long as they're 3 divisions below us !

Arthurly, As there`s only one division between us at this time, i`m thinking you have a bet on us going up this season ? :45: :45:

Good luck to all three of them, having local competition always seems to improve both teams, having three local rivals would see large crowds and some good matches, bring it on.

When fixtures permit, I quite fancy a gander down at Ebsfleet, be interesting to see how other players in that league compare to the likes of Payne and Kedwell.

Oops, I forgot Bolasie had trucked off to Everton but that just goes to show how out-of-the-loop I am with Premiership football nowadays! :23:

To be honest, I would love for amother Kent club to come up into the football league and many older Gills fans remark how they miss the 'A229 derby' with Maidstone (they disappeared before I started supporting the Gills back in the mid 90's).

That said, I might make an exception for Dover- some of their large contingent of away fans at Priestfield in THAT fa cup game were obnoxious struggle-and-grunts to say the least (although a numher were self-identifying as Palace/Charlton/Millwall along for the bantz that day). Even if the Crabble is a pretty scenic and atmospheric away ground to visit...

I was looking forward to watching Ebbsfleet play at AFC Fylde - but would you Adam & Eve it, that fixture is now Sat 23rd December - the same day that the Gills play ten miles down the road at Fleetwood !