Maidenhead - Saturday 10th November | Vital Football

Maidenhead - Saturday 10th November

pompeyrug

Alert Team
We Can’t Realy Win, Right?

I was going to say “we can’t really lose,” as surely Pompey will beat Maidenhead in the FA Cup first round on Saturday, won’t we? However, the reality is we can’t really win; odd as that sounds.

Pompey will, whatever spin we put on it – “the magic of the FA Cup” or “we want to concentrate on the league” etc. – go into this tie as the overwhelming favourites to progress into the second round.

Ok, being top of League One doesn’t give us any divine right to think we’ll see off our Non-League opposition, nor does the fact we’ve only suffered defeat against a side outside of the Football League once, but I’m pretty sure we’ll be in the draw for the second round.

Being the favourites, as I say, means we can’t really win. Yes, many would prefer us to focus on the league, but you can’t beat a run in the FA Cup, so why shouldn’t we be able to do a job on both fronts? I definitely want a cup run, I always do.

With all due respect to Maidenhead, as much as Kenny Jackett will take this game seriously, I would anticipate the boss will make a fair few changes to give some of the fringe players an outing, which they could do with.

Yes, all things considered, as much as we “can’t really win”, I would be very surprised, whatever XI is selected, if Pompey aren’t victorious on Saturday afternoon in the live BT Sport game.