Maheto Malango | Vital Football

Maheto Malango

Of all Lincoln's previous players, Molango wouldn't be the one I thought would be the next PFA chairman! I can recall seeing him play for us a few times. One of those occasions I got excited because we signed an overseas player. The excitement didn't last long.

Of all Lincoln's previous players, Molango wouldn't be the one I thought would be the next PFA chairman! I can recall seeing him play for us a few times. One of those occasions I got excited because we signed an overseas player. The excitement didn't last long.

Patrick Kanyuka was oversees too....I wish he had stayed there....I never got excited about him until he left.

With a name like that you thought he has to be good.
We soon learnt that lesson.

Molango is considered a very efficient and intelligent administrator, so we could see some changes at the PFA in due course. Sounds like a good appointment to me.

I think this was around the time Keith could have named a starting 11 of strikers...!

Yes at the start of the 2005-06 season,we had 8 strikers ,so not far off a full side :

Garry Birch
Danny Bacon
Franny Green
Maheta Molongo
Omari Coleman
Ollie Ryan
Derek Asamoah
Marvin Robinson

Yes at the start of the 2005-06 season,we had 8 strikers ,so not far off a full side :

Garry Birch
Danny Bacon
Franny Green
Maheta Molongo
Omari Coleman
Ollie Ryan
Derek Asamoah
Marvin Robinson

That sums up the phrase "Quantity rather than quality".

Step forward Franny Green as the only one worthy of a starting spot!

Garry Birch
Danny Bacon
Franny Green
Maheta Molongo
Omari Coleman
Ollie Ryan
Derek Asamoah
Marvin Robinson
Was that the season Birch scored in 7 or 8 consecutive games? Or was the record scoring in the first 7 or 8 games or something? He was definitely had a purple patch one season.

Was that the season Birch scored in 7 or 8 consecutive games? Or was the record scoring in the first 7 or 8 games or something? He was definitely had a purple patch one season.
It's one of those myths that has grown up over time. Birch scored in the first two games of the season but not in the third. He scored in four of the first five league and cup games (five goals in total, two in the cup against Crewe) but tailed away badly after that. Scored only 5 more in his next 38 games and was released in July 2006 when he could not agree terms. Career went like a stone thereafter, playing for a series of junior non-league clubs in the Midlands. Be careful what you wish for.

Gary Taylor-Fletcher scored in the first six games of the previous season, 2004-05, and I think that is where the misconception comes from.

Is this someone to finally replace the dreadful Gordon Taylor?