Maguire | Vital Football

Maguire

Shouldn’t have been in the squad never mind starting based on his form lately. Easy to say now he’s been sent off I know but for the record I did say to friends against Belgium I wouldn’t have had him in the squad.

Southgate needs to drop his agenda against Grealish, man of the match against Wales and ripped the champions apart days earlier but can’t get a start in a competitive (sorta) game when Gareth allegedly picks on form.

On a side note the penalty decision is absolutely embarrassing.

VAR doesn’t over turn yellows does it?

1 down at Wembley, 20 mins left and he’s bringing Jordan Henderson on. I fucking despair.

You are right Luke

The VAR will not intervene for an incident where a second yellow card leads to a red card, unless the VAR believes the second yellow card should be upgraded to a red

Did Reece James get sent off as well then after the full time whistle? Put the game on after 75 mins and could see Denmark had gone to five at the back to frustrate and the England players were mouthing off at the ref all the time because they weren't getting their own way.

Watched 20 mins of the Norway / N Ireland game Ballard did very well kept a close eye on Haaland - after Evans went off he was very vocal looked comfortable on the ball - based on the opposition tonight he is definitely a large step up for our back four and Div 1

He did. I watched the first 70 mins of that. Ballard did OK on the right of a back three with a five in front, wing backs dropping in and Jonny Evans (first half) & Tom Flanagan alongside. But he was playing in a very deep set up and wasn't being exposed to holding a high line as a two with full backs who aren't full backs even further up like he might do here (unless things change).

Haaland got in behind him in the first minute but his attempt was cleared off the line. Settled after he clobbered him in the back of the head in the 10th and put him out of the game briefly. Looked OK on the ball and organised his bit of the pitch, and he can kick long. Which is what I think might be what NC has mainly looked at with both the new CB's before the defending part. Only downside was he miss-timed a sort of diving header on the corner that ended up in the net as an OG off a teammate. Not sure what he was trying for really with that but just one of those. A full 90 minutes in that environment should hopefully help him be ready for whatever is next here, whenever the next game is.

He did. I watched the first 70 mins of that. Ballard did OK on the right of a back three with a five in front, wing backs dropping in and Jonny Evans (first half) & Tom Flanagan alongside. But he was playing in a very deep set up and wasn't being exposed to holding a high line as a two with full backs who aren't full backs even further up like he might do here (unless things change).

Haaland got in behind him in the first minute but his attempt was cleared off the line. Settled after he clobbered him in the back of the head in the 10th and put him out of the game briefly. Looked OK on the ball and organised his bit of the pitch, and he can kick long. Which is what I think might be what NC has mainly looked at with both the new CB's before the defending part. Only downside was he miss-timed a sort of diving header on the corner that ended up in the net as an OG off a teammate. Not sure what he was trying for really with that but just one of those. A full 90 minutes in that environment should hopefully help him be ready for whatever is next here, whenever the next game is.

Fair review Pool - I actually saw the goal slightly differently Ballard saw the ball was played from the corner to mid box and the tall defender was favorite over Dallas and he made a late hurling dive in attempt to nick it he didn't make it - what encouraged me was he didn't just stand guarding Haaland and the keeper he saw danger and attempted to deal with it he certainly was unsuccessful - but not flat footed like the goals we have conceded from crosses this season - my fingers are crossed but I am hopeful he will make a positive difference

Hope so. Not seen the goal back yet as I switched over to England but I thought it might have maybe got a slight deflection in between him setting off to try to get in the way and it flying past. The instinct to defend was obviously OK but just looked a bit odd. Their big lump striker was lurking who caused problems in the first game, one eye on him and another on everything else.

I pretty much just want to see him (and anyone else) to just be determined to defend here, like he did tonight, and not being expected to be stood near the halfway line waving for offsides and farting about, and like a whippet to get back if it goes wrong, but hopefully he can do both sides.

Last edited:
Thought England gave it a go last night second half.
I like Mount but his final delivery was missing last night. Set pieces - looked like they had watched ours and copied them..

I wonder if NC has a coach specifically looking/working on set pieces delivery + defending.

For me we have never looked like scoring from a corner since we had Liam Dickinson up front.

I was not impressed by the England manager,s comments regarding Maguire .....Time to stop pandering to these over paid spoilt players ..