Madness | Vital Football

Madness

Billy Goatham

Vital Reserves Team
We need to protect the old and vulnerable as much as we can and carry on.
Who remembers the flu epidemic of 68/69 ?
Nearly 80000 died but nothing changed in our lives except i think the post office closed an hour earlier.
Then we have a Govt. who's members had fought inWW1and were in Govt admin in Ww2 and were,frankly, used to tough times as were my parents and everyone elses too it seemed.
I know this has all been posted but we’ve done the hard part,we’ve seen the map and we know now where its at, tough as it appears.
Internationally no Govt. has the bollox to court the reality and start the ball rolling

The 80000 deaths from Hong Kong flu were spread over 2 years I believe. Covid is more contagious than flu the average person will infect 2.5 others as opposed to 1.3 for flu. Without restrictions covid is likely to cause as many deaths in a far shorter time and overwhelm the NHS and that's the problem. Even the much vaunted herd immunity can only work if there is gradual infection of the community- allowing the virus to just run riot would be disastrous in more ways than one.

The only madness are those in complete denial about Covid. We heard the government rightly criticised for acting too slowly when the initial outbreak occurred, yet most of the criticism now seems to be stating that we shouldn't be taking the measures to stop the spread that we should have taken in the first place and should be acting more leniently and slower and should not be trying to stop the virus. I am confused?

We are now going the same way again - we had almost 5000 new cases yesterday, about double the new cases from this time last week and about 5 times that at the start of September. Scotland today announced that it's had the most new cases since the outbreak started and Spain, who we previously tracked a few weeks behind is regularly hitting 10,000 cases. Death rates are creeping up, but are unlikely to rocket until a week or two after the large increase in new cases, which is happening now.

I must say that I am getting increasingly frustrated at hearing the Covid-denial propaganda I keep hearing from self-centred commentators - a lot of whom I usually agree with, but have stopped listening to - the likes of Mike Graham and Julia Hartley-Brewer, who I switched to in recent times from LBC as it has chronically started to lean to the left. As the government has had its own slogans to deal with Covid, this lot should have their own, something like "go back to the office, get on with life as normal and spread that virus". I keep hearing comparisons to the flu, without any mention that the flu has a vaccine, which everyone has access to and is rolled out to kids, over 50s and the vulnerable for free. No such vaccine exists for Covid. It's time for people to stop being selfish and think of the health of others as until we have a vaccine, we need to stop this virus spreading.

The only madness are those in complete denial about Covid. We heard the government rightly criticised for acting too slowly when the initial outbreak occurred, yet most of the criticism now seems to be stating that we shouldn't be taking the measures to stop the spread that we should have taken in the first place and should be acting more leniently and slower and should not be trying to stop the virus. I am confused?
Well said.

Certain folk will always say we should be doing the opposite to what the government says. It's amusing because to a lot of people this is a government "that doesn't care about people", but now it appears they care too much?

We are now going the same way again - we had almost 5000 new cases yesterday, about double the new cases from this time last week and about 5 times that at the start of September. Scotland today announced that it's had the most new cases since the outbreak started and Spain, who we previously tracked a few weeks behind is regularly hitting 10,000 cases. Death rates are creeping up, but are unlikely to rocket until a week or two after the large increase in new cases, which is happening now.

I must say that I am getting increasingly frustrated at hearing the Covid-denial propaganda I keep hearing from self-centred commentators - a lot of whom I usually agree with, but have stopped listening to - the likes of Mike Graham and Julia Hartley-Brewer, who I switched to in recent times from LBC as it has chronically started to lean to the left. As the government has had its own slogans to deal with Covid, this lot should have their own, something like "go back to the office, get on with life as normal and spread that virus". I keep hearing comparisons to the flu, without any mention that the flu has a vaccine, which everyone has access to and is rolled out to kids, over 50s and the vulnerable for free. No such vaccine exists for Covid. It's time for people to stop being selfish and think of the health of others as until we have a vaccine, we need to stop this virus spreading.
Who is "in complete denial about Covid ?"
(I don't trawl the lower reaches of the blogosphere, so I suppose there might be a handful.....)

Most of those who complain about restrictions are not "deniers". They just think that the response is OTT ... and / or inconsistent.

As others have said, flu deaths have been higher in living memory.
Our initial ignorance (and uncertain response) about Covid is being replaced by information from research and evidence and thousands more tests (so more cases).

Few people are suggesting "business as usual" until a vaccine arrives .....
...or until test results in minutes is possible.

But In what universe is it safer for 6 people from different households to:
- sit inside a pub
- face 2 or more people
- breathe on the table
- touch the table

....compared with football fans who are:
- outside
- at least one seat apart , but more likely two
- face people's backs
- have no reason to touch anything

How many dedicated "stewards" does a pub have to manage people entering and steering round tables ?

Personally, I'm fed up with the doom-mongers, the "computer says no" nay-sayers.

We can do this !(y)

....compared with football fans who are:
- outside
- at least one seat apart , but more likely two
- face people's backs
- have no reason to touch anything
I believe that experiences from other European countries is that football fans don't adhere to the social distancing rules, and instead group together?

I agree with the rest of your post regarding the doom-mongers though.

The 80000 deaths from Hong Kong flu were spread over 2 years I believe. Covid is more contagious than flu the average person will infect 2.5 others as opposed to 1.3 for flu. Without restrictions covid is likely to cause as many deaths in a far shorter time and overwhelm the NHS and that's the problem. Even the much vaunted herd immunity can only work if there is gradual infection of the community- allowing the virus to just run riot would be disastrous in more ways than one.

I believe the 68/69 pandemic killed between 34k and 100k in the USA - covid has already killed 200k and I suspect that will double before it is fully under control. Also we knew that if you had had the flu
virus in 1957/58 you were very unlikely to get it in 68/69. Also covid has some very nasty side effects for some people - they can linger from 3 to 5+ months afterwards.

I sympathise with your frustration with these Covid deniers. However, please don't claim they are 'going left'. They are the opposite (apart from Anarchists). Graham and Hate-Brewer are classic far right libertarians. They demand the "freedom" to cause other people's death.

On the Covid issue generally I can see all points of view as having some validity (apart from the denier nutters).

Ironic that these nutters are turning on their erstwhile hero Alexander Johnson. If I didn't loathe the bullshitting amoral phoney so much I'd almost feel sorry for him.

On a more serious note, just done the weekly shop with Mrs N and found that Tesco are out of bog roll.

Ffs, here we go again 😒

I sympathise with your frustration with these Covid deniers. However, please don't claim they are 'going left'. They are the opposite (apart from Anarchists). Graham and Hate-Brewer are classic far right libertarians. They demand the "freedom" to cause other people's death.

On the Covid issue generally I can see all points of view as having some validity (apart from the denier nutters).

Ironic that these nutters are turning on their erstwhile hero Alexander Johnson. If I didn't loathe the bullshitting amoral phoney so much I'd almost feel sorry for him.

I didn't say that the Covid deniers are "going left". What I said was that I turned to Talkradio (i.e. Graham and Brewer) as LBC (my previous radio station of choice) has gone pretty leftie. I wouldn't say that Graham and Brewer are "far right" any more than I'd say that James O'Brien or Shelagh Fogarty on LBC are "far left" - they are just right/left leaning. I think we all need to cut out this describing anyone who they don't agree with, whether left or right leaning as "far left" or "far right".

For the record, I agree that a lot of those Covid deniers are people on the right, like Brewer, Graham and the tool, Dan Wooton, on Talkradio. However, I don't think it's a left/right thing overall - I think it's just a selfish thing, as I have seen a lot of comment from selfish, uber oh so hard done by, left-leaning millenials, who are equally denying Covid or just ignoring the restrictions to stop it spreading as they don't want to and think it's their right to do what they want.

Sorry, but I think you are wrong - on two counts.

Genuine Libertarians subscribe to " do no harm to others".
To believe anything else would be illogical.

The vast majority of reasonable people want to live their lives without constantly looking over their shoulders - whether for an overbearing state OR anti-social others.
Genuine libertarians believe in voluntary co-operation (as do free-market capitalists)

Furthermore, what's with the "far right" tag ??
I thought that was supposed to be for authoritarian racists .

No wonder we keep having to ask people to define "far right" ??:rolleyes: