Maddison v Ipshitch | Vital Football

Maddison v Ipshitch

fanforlife

Alert Team
Physological....maybe!
Whatever well done to him, here`s to another win on Sunday against that lot down the road..OTBC

Norwich City star James Maddison has won the Sky Bet Championship Goal of the Month award for January. Picture: Robbie Stephenson/JMP
Norwich City star James Maddison has won the Sky Bet Championship Goal of the Month award for January.
James Maddison has landed the first blow for Norwich City ahead of derby day, by claiming the Sky Bet Championship Goal of the Month award ahead of an Ipswich player.

Maddison and Town forward Bersant Celina were both nominated for the January award, alongside Millwall’s forrmer City striker Steve Morison, as a shortlist was put to a public vote on the Sky Sports website.

Canaries star Maddison comfortably topped that with 51% of the vote after a wonderful 25-yard strike, following a cheeky nutmeg, which earned a 1-0 victory at Brentford.

It is the second time this season that City’s highly rated 21-year-old has won the award, with his long-range strike in a 1-0 win at Middlesbrough in September also voted the best of that month.

“It was a special goal, to add to the collection of mine this season, and it was a match-winning goal again like the one in September,” Maddison said. “That always gives that extra addition to it and makes it even better, if you score the winning goal and you get the three points away from home. It was a lovely strike, so I’m delighted.

He added: “I think the Brentford one was better (than his strike at Boro), the one for this award, just because of the nutmeg before it and the finish.

“It’s the sort of thing I’ve done in training a lot so to put it into a game and let everyone see what I can do was a good feeling.”

Lead Sky Bet EFL Goal of the Month judge and Sky Sports pundit, Don Goodman, added: “James Maddison has blossomed this season into one of the most talked-about, exciting prospects in the EFL and with goals like this it’s not hard to see why.

“After a particularly messy phase of play, Maddison’s classy touch, nutmeg and shot stand out even more, such is the beauty in their simplicity.”

Amid continuing speculation of Premier League interest in the England U21 international, the award continues to push his transfer value up to the £20m+ mark.

His current focus is Sunday’s derby at Carrow Road though, as he looks to down Town for the second time this season, after his strike settled a 1-0 win at Portman Road in October.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 0