Macclesfield | Page 9 | Vital Football

Macclesfield

It's rumoured that Chris Farnell is putting together a consortium headed up by Steve Dale, Ken Bates and Massimo Cellini with the intention of taking over the club, re-naming it BuryField, and playing home games at Gigg Lane. Phil Neville is rumoured to be thinking over a Car Park Attendant/Programme Seller Role.

Northern gets the boot, southern club survives, it's a common theme.
Bit of a shame as Macclesfield as followed us and down the divisions more or less for the 20 odd years.
Hope this isn't the end for them and they end up like Bury.
Done before the fixtures come out I notice.
Sheffield is a lot further north than Charlton
Get where you're coming from though. Think it might be a club size thing more than location.

So Macc get their points deduction immediately to be relegated, and Sheff Weds have their points deduction rolled to next season so they avoid the drop. The whole game is in a right mess, the EFL should be running a tighter ship than this...

I really couldn't care less who has been relegated, I am bothered by the apparent inconsistency of points being deducted and when the deductions come into play. About time the EFL had it written into the rules. Into administration -20, failure to pay income tax -20 points, failure to pay another club for a player sale or cup gate receipts -9 points, failure to fulfil a fixture -6 points and if the fixture was at home the rearranged fixture to be away, failure to pay playing staff -6 points, failure to pay non-playing staff -3 points. All deductions to be applied instantly in the current season. Selling your ground to the owner to cheat FFP relegation at end of current season. Draconian? yes. Time something was in place? yes. There appears to be little or no integrity left in football.

The EFL used a flawed PPG calculation, which, because of Macc's deductions, ended up punishing them by more points than they should have done.

Even with the new deductions, I think they'd have survived.

I also felt that the lobbying by Stevenage and a clutch of other clubs left a sour taste.

Full statement:

“An independent arbitration panel has upheld the EFL’s appeal in respect of the outcome of an independent disciplinary commission who in June 2020 had considered misconduct charges brought against Macclesfield Town.

“The charges related to failing to pay a number of players on the applicable payment dates due in March 2020, failing to act with utmost good faith in respect of matters with the EFL and for breaching an order, requirement, direction or instruction of the League.

“The arbitration panel confirmed that the two-point suspended sporting sanction activated on 19 June 2020 from previous proceedings will stand and in addition the four-point deduction, originally suspended in the latest proceedings and only to be activated in the event of a further breach of Regulation 63.7 during season 2020-21, will be activated immediately and applied to the 2019-20 table.

“Today’s outcome leaves Macclesfield Town in 24th position in the table on 19 points with a points per game (PPG) total of 23.62, resulting in the club’s relegation into the National League. The arbitration panel’s decision is final and binding. The EFL will be making no further comment.”

I feel they have been incredibly harshly treated given what has gone on at several clubs over the last 12 months or so. Whereas there has been leniency - and dithering - over other clubs they have thrown the book at Macc . "The EFL will be making no further comment" is disrespectful to all Macc fans - they have closed ranks and clearly don't give a shit about the club, which is not the way that the EFL should treat its members. A degree of empathy whilst stitching them up might have been nice.

I really couldn't care less who has been relegated, I am bothered by the apparent inconsistency of points being deducted and when the deductions come into play. About time the EFL had it written into the rules. Into administration -20, failure to pay income tax -20 points, failure to pay another club for a player sale or cup gate receipts -9 points, failure to fulfil a fixture -6 points and if the fixture was at home the rearranged fixture to be away, failure to pay playing staff -6 points, failure to pay non-playing staff -3 points. All deductions to be applied instantly in the current season. Selling your ground to the owner to cheat FFP relegation at end of current season. Draconian? yes. Time something was in place? yes. There appears to be little or no integrity left in football.

So are you suggesting that the EFL should function as a league that actually has rules that exist and work?
Novel idea...

No consistency at all, Sheff wed should have had points taken now as well, this could open up a can of worms

The Sheff Wed decision was utterly bizarre.
Firstly it must take an awful lot of rule breaking for the EFL to finally get to the stage of sanctioning a club.
Secondly previous such case saw Birmingham deducted 9 points from their then current season.
Sheff Wed though get points deducted from following season!
Common factor in both verdicts - neither punishment causes relegation.
Both punishments therefore next to irrelevant. Big clubs know they can keep spending whatever they like.

Only the little clubs ever get hurt.

The EFL used a flawed PPG calculation, which, because of Macc's deductions, ended up punishing them by more points than they should have done.

Even with the new deductions, I think they'd have survived.
Saying that, I think the 4 points (initially suspended) would have relegated them by c0.5 points if the PPG was calculated correctly anyway.

Shame for Macc , i know people who will be disappointed . Mind you that could be softened by the fact that Alkadhi has stepped down . Who know what the future holds for them time will tell .