Macclesfield | Page 5 | Vital Football

Macclesfield

Southern clubs always seem to get lighter penalties than the northern clubs for similar offences.
In the old re-election days if a team went they were normally from the north, normally Cumbria!

Southern clubs always seem to get lighter penalties than the northern clubs for similar offences.
In the old re-election days if a team went they were normally from the north, normally Cumbria!
In division 4 every club that failed to get reelected was replaced by a club geographically further south Wigan replaced Southport not a lot of difference N and S but still further South.

Workington, Barrow and Southport all had crap gates and far away from most places.

Gateshead were also distant.

In those days, gate receipts were shared, so they were a long way to go for small financial reward.

Ashington is the furthest north of any club to have played in the league - 20 miles north of Newcastle. But that was only for a handful of seasons in the 20s!

The playoffs in the national league could be proper farcical, they haven't played for months and some of the players may well have left.
Boston are in the national league north playoffs if they are playing in that league?

Play offs shouldn't be happening , football shouldn't be happening . seasons should have been voided and concentrate on getting things ready for next season . seems football is more important than the general public meeting family , friends etc . But if the must go ahead , an early defeat for Harrogate would be rather lovely .

As for Macc , i sincerely hope they do ok and are back next season

Last edited:
The playoffs in the national league could be proper farcical, they haven't played for months and some of the players may well have left.
Boston are in the national league north playoffs if they are playing in that league?

The last I saw, there will be no play offs in National League North or South, so only one team promoted from each.

As it stands, Chorley will be the only team below the EFL to be relegated this season

The last I saw, there will be no play offs in National League North or South, so only one team promoted from each.

As it stands, Chorley will be the only team below the EFL to be relegated this season
Ta, wasn't sure if all three were having playoffs, so Boston have missed out, tough on them that, granted they'll probably be a darn site more gracious than Peterborough!

Interesting - the last I saw was that the government had scuppered the NLN and S play-offs because those leagues were not considered to be "elite" sport, being composed of mostly part time teams

So is this an ambiguous press release, or another government U turn?

Last edited:
Interesting - the last I saw was that the government had scuppered the NLN and S play-offs because those leagues were not considered to be "elite" sport, being composed of mostly part time teams
It turns out there was no such guidance and the NL were given incorrect information from the FA (who themselves, you'd think, would have easy access to the government to clarify it!).

Elite sport, in this instance, are teams whose player derive a living from playing football so in theory the NLN and NLS, along with most of the football pyramid, fall under that (I suppose the grey area is whether or not its a liveable income). The National League Premier was slightly different in all of this because there are more FT sides and they're linked to the EFL as well, so they had to protect the two up. That said, their rules and regs state that if the PO's don't happen in the NLP then second place will be promoted so the PO's weren't the be all and end all there.

NL PO's due to be played between July 18th and July 31st, but only if at least four of the six clubs agree to participate (all 18 teams, to my knowledge, have said they will). Those who won't or can't won't be punished for not doing so as they would under a normal season.

So as it stands, Chorley and Fylde are down because of Wealdstone and Kings Lynn being promoted, but Maidenhead and Ebbsfleet, strictly speaking, aren't yet but are likely to be when the PO's go ahead.

I think the NL are sending guidance to the PO Club's outlining costs etc and then leave it to the individual Clubs to decide if they're happy to continue.

I don't think Fylde are down yet because they need to keep the NL at 24 teams, with Bury not available.

It turns out there was no such guidance and the NL were given incorrect information from the FA (who themselves, you'd think, would have easy access to the government to clarify it!).

Elite sport, in this instance, are teams whose player derive a living from playing football so in theory the NLN and NLS, along with most of the football pyramid, fall under that (I suppose the grey area is whether or not its a liveable income). The National League Premier was slightly different in all of this because there are more FT sides and they're linked to the EFL as well, so they had to protect the two up. That said, their rules and regs state that if the PO's don't happen in the NLP then second place will be promoted so the PO's weren't the be all and end all there.

NL PO's due to be played between July 18th and July 31st, but only if at least four of the six clubs agree to participate (all 18 teams, to my knowledge, have said they will). Those who won't or can't won't be punished for not doing so as they would under a normal season.

So as it stands, Chorley and Fylde are down because of Wealdstone and Kings Lynn being promoted, but Maidenhead and Ebbsfleet, strictly speaking, aren't yet but are likely to be when the PO's go ahead.

I think the NL are sending guidance to the PO Club's outlining costs etc and then leave it to the individual Clubs to decide if they're happy to continue.

OK thanks - I know this issue has caused a great deal of angst at Step 2

I don't think Fylde are down yet because they need to keep the NL at 24 teams, with Bury not available.

However Fylde are currently second from bottom in the actual table and also the PPG table....with play offs now taking place to promote additional teams from south and north I think they look screwed...

However Fylde are currently second from bottom in the actual table and also the PPG table....with play offs now taking place to promote additional teams from south and north I think they look screwed...

If the play offs tale place, then yes they are screwed (good!), as presumably are Ebbsfleet.