Lunny | Vital Football

Lunny

Should United continue to play Lundstram until sold in January?

• Yes

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BladesMad

Alert Team
Staff member
According to The Stir, United will allow contract-rebel John Lundstram to leave in January. It to be expected and perhaps a wise idea if he won't sign a new contract, although the report suggests that a contract will be left on the table until the end.

Burnley, Palace, and Rangers are thought to be interested.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/foo...ion-midfielder-john-lundstrams-future-3016398

I question whether United should play him when there are other players within the club who are happy to play for the club.

I have also read elsewhere, where United might go back in for Swift (at Reading), and Brooks in January - could they be a replacement for JL?

Yes if the manager thinks Lundy warrants a place in the team we should play him.If the manager thinks he needs leavin out of the team i've no doubt he'll leave him out.By the way it says the poll should've closed yesdi.Jimmy Muir strikes again.:LOL:UTMPB

Get the c**nt fucked off ASAP.

Use him only if necessary in the meantime. And that shouldn't be often with Ampadu starting CM.

I'm looking forward to us replacing him. Hopefully we dare sign someone skillful and creative.

I wouldn’t play any player who doesn’t want to be here unless we are desperate and I don’t think his performances since his bottom lip dropped last season have given me any reason to change my view. He’s been crap most of the time and I still find it hard to get my head around the fact that he’s still hanging around like a bad smell while Luke Freeman who always seemed to impress me has been shipped out to Florist. Surely he could do a better job In the creative stakes?

Last edited:
Cw's choice of course but it's two edged for both Lunny and SUFC

If he's so unhappy he needs game time to entice buyers and he's had that but shown little to entice anyone into parting with good money for him.

Will he buck his ideas up now he knows he can go ? If so, win win for SUFC.
If not then he's on the road to nowhere but we're stuck with an unhappy player whose wage money we could do with to get someone else in.

Not easy for either side. Only CW will know what he's like around the place and whether his short term contribution makes it worth persevering with him.

Any coincidence that Ampadu's weekend performance has brought the decision to release to a conclusion?

He should never play for the first team again. He is simply not what we need. We have too many triers and need more quality now. Rangers would seem his best bet in a much easier league. Bogle and Ampadu have the energy and technique that would improve on Lunny. Longer term we need more players with the quality of Berge.

How much will we get for him?

TransferMarkt has him valued at £7.2million, but I would suggest that he would go for less than that. With 6 months left on a players contract, they usually go for less than that, so I'd say between £3-4million.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/john-lundstram/profil/spieler/156941

United should take what they can for him and not force a bidding war on this one. The danger in that is that any club can offer him a contract to begin when his SUFC contract ends, meaning his leaves United for free.

He should never play for the first team again. He is simply not what we need. We have too many triers and need more quality now. Rangers would seem his best bet in a much easier league. Bogle and Ampadu have the energy and technique that would improve on Lunny. Longer term we need more players with the quality of Berge.

How can you comment on Bogle? Have you ever seen him play? Certainly not in the Prem nor as a RCM.

Re Lundstram I thought we had the option of a years extension? which I believe we have excersised. Does that not take his contract beyond the end of this season? Might be wrong, but if it does then we should be demanding north of £10m, buttons for a prem player.

Really strange that Lundstram has been involved in every game in the Premiership so far, clearly that implies Wilder thinks he can do a job for the team and that's all that matters. I have no problem with players looking for a better deal that's their right, Wilder using all the tools at his disposal for the good of the team takes precedence for me. As for Freeman Wilder wanted him and for whatever reason he changed his mind and got rid but still plays Lunny funny owd game football.

How can you comment on Bogle? Have you ever seen him play? Certainly not in the Prem nor as a RCM.

Re Lundstram I thought we had the option of a years extension? which I believe we have excersised. Does that not take his contract beyond the end of this season? Might be wrong, but if it does then we should be demanding north of £10m, buttons for a prem player.
I have seen him play for Derby, admittedly not in midfield, but technique and energy can adapt to most roles. Take Ampadu many on here did not want him in midfield due to one bad game for Wales. Against Liverpool he was miles better than Norwood and Lundstrum. Bogle has played midfield before but is not going to get in the team ahead of Baldock yet. I am not saying he is the perfect answer but he will do a better job than Lunny or Norwood and certainly have the energy to last 90 minutes without badly fading.

I have seen him play for Derby, admittedly not in midfield, but technique and energy can adapt to most roles. Take Ampadu many on here did not want him in midfield due to one bad game for Wales. Against Liverpool he was miles better than Norwood and Lundstrum. Bogle has played midfield before but is not going to get in the team ahead of Baldock yet. I am not saying he is the perfect answer but he will do a better job than Lunny or Norwood and certainly have the energy to last 90 minutes without badly fading.

Fair enough BFL but he hasn't played in the prem yet so no-one can say how he'll fair. Amps is different gravy and everyone rightly raved when we snagged him and no-one takes anything that happens with Wales as more than non league irrelevance. I mean Ben Woodburn!!! Nuff said.

Fair enough BFL but he hasn't played in the prem yet so no-one can say how he'll fair. Amps is different gravy and everyone rightly raved when we snagged him and no-one takes anything that happens with Wales as more than non league irrelevance. I mean Ben Woodburn!!! Nuff said.
The fact is we are in the shit Sean and January is a long way off (if we have any money to spend). We may have to take the gamble of trying Bogle and Lowe. Both of them are untested in the Prem but i think they both have it in them to step up.

Last edited:

I'm sure this season's the extension to Lundy's contract Sean.TT(post 5) i'm sure we'd've looked to move Lundy out of the club if he hadn't signed a new deal by January no matter how Ampadu or anyone else played at Liverpool but it's one thing wanting to move him out but if he or his agent say they're not moving till the summer there'll be nowt we can do abart it mi thinks.UTMPB

Freeman who always seemed to impress me has been shipped out to Florist. Surely he could do a better job In the creative stakes?

The defence for that, to me, baffling decision, is that Freeman isn't PL quality - which may be true, but here's the thing, neither are we as it stands. What he is is a player with qualities we completely lack.

We made just the two changes against Liverpool because we're limited with what we have on the bench, Lundstram came off for McGoldrick, rightly so because he was knackered soon into the second half. Freeman coming on, or even starting, would have been a better bet.

With resources as stretched to the limit as they are, to let Freeman go, a year after we paid 5 million for him, without a fee and without a replacement was awful planning.

As Lunny is out of contract can't he and is agent negotiate with other clubs and sign a pre contract with them. I am not sure there will be too many suitors for him especially from the PL.

The fact is we are in ths shit Sean and January is a long way off (if we have any money to spend). We may have to take the gamble of trying Bogle and Lowe. Both of them are untested in the Prem but i think they both have it in them to step up.

Not saying Bogle shouldn't feature, just that I've no idea if he's ready.

As Lunny is out of contract can't he and is agent negotiate with other clubs and sign a pre contract with them. I am not sure there will be too many suitors for him especially from the PL.
I believe in January they'd be able to speak to foreign clubs,whether Scotland is considered foreign or not i don't know.The agent will have summat lined up possibly/probably.UTMPB

I'm sure this season's the extension to Lundy's contract Sean.TT(post 5) i'm sure we'd've looked to move Lundy out of the club if he hadn't signed a new deal by January no matter how Ampadu or anyone else played at Liverpool but it's one thing wanting to move him out but if he or his agent say they're not moving till the summer there'll be nowt we can do abart it mi thinks.UTMPB

I'm fine with him leaving. Just want as much dosh as poss to replace or put to JOCs replacement.