Luke James and Josh Hawkes gone | Vital Football

Luke James and Josh Hawkes gone

Alfalf2

Vital Reserves Team
The Mail have revealed that two of the best players on our books have left due to Pools being unable to offer them acceptable contracts because of financial constraints. It breaks my heart. If the National League ever does get underway again it seems likely another season of mediocracy is awaits.

Don't think the loss of James or Hawkes is that disastrous; neither have been consistent goalscorers or kingpins in influencing matches for Pools.
Kitching is a bigger loss as he was the main attacking outlet on the left.

Should there be a 2020/21 season I have confidence that we will have a competitive squad assembled.

James had blistering pace which caused the opposition concern so they had to be careful how to counter it. He won us more than a few penalties. I agree he was inconsistent and didnt score enough goals but I do think he will be a big loss. Hawkes was one for the future and may well have worth a few quid to us. Kitchen a good player but final ball let him down and was caught out defensively a little too often. Very upset about James.:shake:

I think your assessment of James is probably correct, Alf2, in that it was his pace which made him a threat. However, after his season ending injury I would doubt he will have that pace anymore!

For me of more concern is whether there will in fact be a 2020/21 season. I guess we won't know this until the League 2 playoffs are concluded and the EFL make known their intentions regarding supporter attendance at matches.

Yes, the fact there may not be any football at all at our level is actually devastating and puts concerns about players into perspective. I keep hoping that they cant just scrap all professional football below League 2 can they?

If supporters are unable to attend matches, it will end football for all professional clubs (with a few exceptions) from EFL League 1 down over.
I can't imagine clubs such as Fleetwood, Macclesfield, Forest Green, etc being able to survive on revenue derived from online matches in empty stadiums!

Kitching has signed for Stockport.
My concerns at the lack of news coming out of Vic Park regarding signings is getting higher. Perhaps the announcement by Johnson of outdoor sports support being possible from October might allow the EFL and NL to indicate a start date for the 2020/21 season.

Luke James has signed for Barrow, so at least one of last season's squad will be playing in the EFL next season!

Wow people, what a year and still 5 months of it left.

Been awol for a while due to unforeseen and foreseen circumstances and cannot wait for normal services to be resumed.

Been a lot of movement on the playing personnel front, does anyone know how many players we have on the books and who they are??
:red:

The squad currently, I think:
Ben Killip
Cunningham, Odisinia, Liddle
Mufuta, Shelton, Featherstone, Donaldson, Holohan
Oates, Ofoso, MacDonald, Molyneaux

Plus, a couple of youth players - Gray, Young, etc

Apologies for any misspelling!

Added a left back and a forward, plus potential MSH season long loan we’re only short of what every other club wants.... a regular goal scorer, unless Oates turns out to be a 20 a season striker? You never know Bloomfield might bring the best out of him. :red:

Josh has now, apparently, signed to be part of Sunderland's U23 squad. As with Kenton Richardson, I doubt he'll ever get close to the first team squad, but will at least be on a good contract.

The disappointment is that where Pools have nurtured these players they just walk away without Pools getting any financial consideration for their efforts. Even more frustrating is that a club like Sunderland are happy to implement this strategy. A good example of what is wrong with football, and the reason for clubs like Pools scrapping their youth set ups.

Absolutely. Just seems wrong. We nurture these players and bring them to somewhere near professional standard then they just walk away. Surely a rule change is called for.