Luke James and Josh Hawkes gone | Vital Football

Luke James and Josh Hawkes gone

Alfalf2

Vital Youth Team
The Mail have revealed that two of the best players on our books have left due to Pools being unable to offer them acceptable contracts because of financial constraints. It breaks my heart. If the National League ever does get underway again it seems likely another season of mediocracy is awaits.

Old Poolie

Vital Reserves Team
Don't think the loss of James or Hawkes is that disastrous; neither have been consistent goalscorers or kingpins in influencing matches for Pools.
Kitching is a bigger loss as he was the main attacking outlet on the left.

Should there be a 2020/21 season I have confidence that we will have a competitive squad assembled.

Alfalf2

Vital Youth Team
James had blistering pace which caused the opposition concern so they had to be careful how to counter it. He won us more than a few penalties. I agree he was inconsistent and didnt score enough goals but I do think he will be a big loss. Hawkes was one for the future and may well have worth a few quid to us. Kitchen a good player but final ball let him down and was caught out defensively a little too often. Very upset about James.:shake:

Old Poolie

Vital Reserves Team
I think your assessment of James is probably correct, Alf2, in that it was his pace which made him a threat. However, after his season ending injury I would doubt he will have that pace anymore!

For me of more concern is whether there will in fact be a 2020/21 season. I guess we won't know this until the League 2 playoffs are concluded and the EFL make known their intentions regarding supporter attendance at matches.

Yes, the fact there may not be any football at all at our level is actually devastating and puts concerns about players into perspective. I keep hoping that they cant just scrap all professional football below League 2 can they?

Old Poolie

Vital Reserves Team
If supporters are unable to attend matches, it will end football for all professional clubs (with a few exceptions) from EFL League 1 down over.
I can't imagine clubs such as Fleetwood, Macclesfield, Forest Green, etc being able to survive on revenue derived from online matches in empty stadiums!