Lucas Moura - Player Thread | Page 6 | Vital Football

Lucas Moura - Player Thread

Problem as I see it with all our 'attacking' players......they are all basically 10 or 20 min (if we are lucky) players. There is not one player that we can say will virtually always be a 8 or a 9/10. We are lucky to get a regular 7 out of them. There is our problem....inconsistency runs thru the team.
What I did notice against Boro was that Lamela & Gio & Lucas all seemed to give and bring intensity.....in fairness Lamela normally always does. Too early to say about Gio and of course Lucas is a 10-20 min man....along with the rest!

I have always said he is a impact sub not a starter . He is better when the opponent's are tiring then he can use his pace .Son and Lamela are still better bets

Moura is what you get when you spend £25m on 25 year old rejects from other clubs. You delude yourself that they will be better at your club and try to pretend they were just unlucky and haven't found their happy place yet. You clearly think you are getting a £50m player and you're chuffed you only spent £25m.

2 years later you're staring into your pint thinking "why was I so stupid?"

This one is completely on Levy. He once again left one of his managers shopping in the wrong stores and we bought an average squad player. With Lamela's constant injuries we were down to Eriksen, Dele and Son as the only credible AM's. We panicked.

Moura is what you get when you spend £25m on 25 year old rejects from other clubs. You delude yourself that they will be better at your club and try to pretend they were just unlucky and haven't found their happy place yet. You clearly think you are getting a £50m player and you're chuffed you only spent £25m.

2 years later you're staring into your pint thinking "why was I so stupid?"

This one is completely on Levy. He once again left one of his managers shopping in the wrong stores and we bought an average squad player. With Lamela's constant injuries we were down to Eriksen, Dele and Son as the only credible AM's. We panicked.

The amount of money we have wasted over the years is staggering.

Why can't we just buy players to play in there best position?

Lucas playing as a striker is embarrassing. School play ground stuff.

He's a big game player that will get us where we need to go. Perhaps a 20 minute player but massive impact.
Exactly. We can never expect anything more than an impact sub role from him. Let’s get the player in that position developing properly and get him doing what he does for a 20min spell. Or get him out of the club so we can get someone better

Exactly. We can never expect anything more than an impact sub role from him. Let’s get the player in that position developing properly and get him doing what he does for a 20min spell. Or get him out of the club so we can get someone better

The mentality Moura has, even if it is somewhat misdirected is missing from just about every other player right now. He never quits. I'll take that character over Eriksen's any day.

Also, Moura tends to deliver when we really need it.

Why would you get rid of him when there are more important priorities to be dealt with? We are a long way from needing to discard a Lucas Moura.

The mentality Moura has, even if it is somewhat misdirected is missing from just about every other player right now. He never quits. I'll take that character over Eriksen's any day.

Also, Moura tends to deliver when we really need it.

Why would you get rid of him when there are more important priorities to be dealt with? We are a long way from needing to discard a Lucas Moura.

It depends on which Moura we're talking about. The one that wins 3 big headers in his own 18 yard box in the last match. The one that makes things happen in the final third and scores important goals for the club. Then there's the other one. The guy that watches his marker, the assister for the Norwich goal run past him whilst he stands close to the half way line as the ball hits the net. The guy that runs into cul-de-sacs and plays like an under 10 footballer.

The guy infuriates me. He could be so good but I doubt he ever will be at 27.

It depends on which Moura we're talking about. The one that wins 3 big headers in his own 18 yard box in the last match. The one that makes things happen in the final third and scores important goals for the club. Then there's the other one. The guy that watches his marker, the assister for the Norwich goal run past him whilst he stands close to the half way line as the ball hits the net. The guy that runs into cul-de-sacs and plays like an under 10 footballer.

The guy infuriates me. He could be so good but I doubt he ever will be at 27.

Yes. But my point is that he is way down the list of priorities and until somebody with more consistency and the same talent is found let's keep him. If we make any finals I would certainly want him on the pitch right now.

Right now in the league Moura has been given 17 starts and 8 sub appearances and has a return of 4 goals and 2 assists. He has managed 11 shots on target in the league all season. He has 1 goal and 1 assist in our entire CL campaign so far.

I always find with Moura that fans happily defend him. Dele and Lamela will take bullets every week, but Moura has a sympathy vote perhaps because of the Ajax game. It's about the manager not playing a system that suits him and he's apparently being played out of position. Before that, it was about him getting used to the Prem having joined from foreign leagues. Even now, it's apparently unfair to be putting him in the number 9 position. If he's playing in a 2 with Dele or Bergwijn then he would be better on the right cutting in. If he's on the right then he's burdened with too much defending and needs to be running at the defence more. There's always excuses for him.

Moura is now at a great age, 27, and should be at the height of his powers and he's had a long run in the side. He should be stepping up to become the new talisman in the absence of Kane and Son. A massive disappointment for me.

He has had a long enough run in the team now to get an understanding of what he is about. He is an average footballer simple as that.

This is such a futile way to do anything but a disservice to the player.

Mohamed Salah would do just about as much, and just about as well as Lucas has under the current circumstances he's playing under.

Because he is forced to play in a role and with a responsibility upon him that was never intended when we signed him, this overdramatic whinging about how damn shitty he really is, is unfair.

Take a moment and apply a shred of context. If you please.

This is such a futile way to do anything but a disservice to the player.

Mohamed Salah would do just about as much, and just about as well as Lucas has under the current circumstances he's playing under.

Because he is forced to play in a role and with a responsibility upon him that was never intended when we signed him, this overdramatic whinging about how damn shitty he really is, is unfair.

Take a moment and apply a shred of context. If you please.

Rather than take the condescending tone, perhaps you consider that our conversation about Moura is genuine. I'd love him to do well, but the data points over 6 or 7 years at 2 massive clubs don't read well for him. It's not a disservice when you share the facts right? In our minds, he is the one incapable of producing any useful result i.e. the pure definition of futile.

We're just fans having a chat on a forum about it.

Rather than take the condescending tone, perhaps you consider that our conversation about Moura is genuine. I'd love him to do well, but the data points over 6 or 7 years at 2 massive clubs don't read well for him. It's not a disservice when you share the facts right? In our minds, he is the one incapable of producing any useful result i.e. the pure definition of futile.

We're just fans having a chat on a forum about it.

My point being that the expectations of the player are completely unreasonable.

Based upon your own comment, why'd you'd expect more from him is a bit silly, isn't it?

So why so upset that he's not what he isn't? Seems unreasonable to me.

Any sense of condescension you felt was prolly sourced in your own opinion. I'm not arguing facts, just the silliness that just because the #1 Striker got injured, that Lucas is expected to suddenly be the World Class #9 that he isn't. HE HAS EVEN SAID AS MUCH HIMSELF.

Take the guy for what he is, use him to his best strengths, and he will be a very valuable player.

Try and turn him into something he isn't, well again, why so surprised & disappointed?

And finally, to denigrate the player and totally ignore the massive contributions he has made, whilst engaging in such a trope of a conversation seems spiteful for no reason.

I might not start him, but he'd definitely be one of the first in the daily squad for me.

My point being that the expectations of the player are completely unreasonable.

Based upon your own comment, why'd you'd expect more from him is a bit silly, isn't it?

So why so upset that he's not what he isn't? Seems unreasonable to me.

Any sense of condescension you felt was prolly sourced in your own opinion. I'm not arguing facts, just the silliness that just because the #1 Striker got injured, that Lucas is expected to suddenly be the World Class #9 that he isn't. HE HAS EVEN SAID AS MUCH HIMSELF.

Take the guy for what he is, use him to his best strengths, and he will be a very valuable player.

Try and turn him into something he isn't, well again, why so surprised & disappointed?

And finally, to denigrate the player and totally ignore the massive contributions he has made, whilst engaging in such a trope of a conversation seems spiteful for no reason.

I might not start him, but he'd definitely be one of the first in the daily squad for me.

For the record, it's never meant as denigration for the sake of it with me. Nor spite. Shared opinions with fellow bloggers in a way to see a better Spurs, 100%.

So please don't ever think I don't see the good in Moura. Him and Sonny have amazing external persona's to the outside world and there's no 2 guys at the club that a Spurs fan wouldn't want to succeed. However, I remain unconvinced on Moura despite all these mitigating circumstances he finds himself in with the tactical setup.

If I focus on this setup, I believe there's more that he can contribute within his abilities and needs to find that level. Even if goals don't come, I'd love to see that assist column go up if he applies his talents better. Beyond that, I think he'll eventually revert back to supersub at some stage.

Useless, done with him

Cant shoot, Doesnt pass, doesnt work back, runs like a headless chick and is braindead.

Absolutely no. He's our ONLY big game playerl
To me he's a player who plays likes he's living off the glory of the Ajax semi final. He's largely coasted through the season.

I want to see a player who will contribute and influence games if not every week then most weeks throughout the season.

Having said that, I don't think he's that player anyway. His style of play is largely individual. Should we ever get the likes of Lo Celso, Ndombele, Kane gelling together, playing intelligent, creative football, Moura will be a fish out of water.