Lovell targets | Vital Football

Lovell targets

Nobby_66

Vital Football Hero
Says he hopes to bring in two, maybe three new faces with targets already identified. No names or positions mentioned but sounds encouraging that Scally is backing him with some money

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/plenty-of-names-on-lovells-156884/

PS has always backed his managers with some money in the January transfer window - still may be on a free but wages still have to be covered.

As SL says he is basically happy wuith the squad I cant see anyone going and cant see the club going mad with signings - seems the target for this season is to avoid relegation and then re-group for next season

Yep, I'd go along with all of that, like you say, PS never leaves his managers short to be fair (the start of this season being a slight exception understandably) but there have been concerns voiced, what with legal battles etc going on backstage and I really wouldn't have been surprised if Lovell had been asked to make do and mend with consolidation being the main target.
Looks like a few may come in as a belt and braces approach being the order of the day.
As I mentioned in another thread, it will be interesting to see a proper Lovell squad in place for next season, assuming of course he is offered the gig on a more permanent basis.

I doubt a proper SL squad would include many new faces. That said, he has changed the way some of them [inherited] play.

DurhamGills - 14/12/2017 15:43

PS has always backed his managers with some money in the January transfer window - still may be on a free but wages still have to be covered.

As SL says he is basically happy wuith the squad I cant see anyone going and cant see the club going mad with signings - seems the target for this season is to avoid relegation and then re-group for next season

I think that's a likely summary. Problem is "avoid relegation with a promise of more next year" is a recurring theme. With crowds dwindling we need to do something to break that cycle. Its a sad fact of sport that people like to support a winning team and while the hardcore will go come what may our hardcore is too small to drive the club forward and makes talk of a new stadium ludicrous.

Sooner or late the core product of the business needs to start delivering.

Our last few season have ended up with the following outcomes :

2016/17 - 20th
2015/16 - 9th but based on where we sat at Christmas no one was celebrating
2014/15 - 12th
2013/14 - 17th
2012/13 - Champions of league 2

You can see why the core support has drifted away. Lovell has given the supports a belief, we really need to the back end of this season to really give us hope for 2018/19 and that does mean a bit more quality is needed.

Lets hope it does for everyone's sake.

markinkent - 14/12/2017 18:17

I think that's a likely summary. Problem is "avoid relegation with a promise of more next year" is a recurring theme. With crowds dwindling we need to do something to break that cycle. Its a sad fact of sport that people like to support a winning team and while the hardcore will go come what may our hardcore is too small to drive the club forward and makes talk of a new stadium ludicrous.

2016/17 - 20th
2014/15 - 12th
2013/14 - 17th

You can see why the core support has drifted away. Lovell has given the supports a belief, we really need to the back end of this season to really give us hope for 2018/19 and that does mean a bit more quality is needed.

Difficult to know what you are expecting - realistically survival is the best we can hope for this season regardless of how much we have spend.

Not everyone is enthused by Lovell when we keep loosing to lower half teams, maybe relegation would be a blessing is disguise as we may become a winning team - not going to happen.

Players available in this transfer window are either on a free or if any good will cost us money for a club to release them

Survival this season and build a decent squad in the close season.

The jury is out on a new stadium as it does some clubs some good and damages others - not a decision i would want to make but there again we don't have all the facts, maybe a new stadium would encourage investors.

PhilK66 - 14/12/2017 18:22

Creative midfielder
Pace and width player
Fox in the box
Reading between the lines I think a deal is almost done for a couple of young hopefully talented loan deals .Pretty much agree on positions .Although I would guess we are looking at a attacking left back . A player to directly replace Bingham as under Lovell with Bingham in the side the midfield really worked well .Up top I expect someone a lot older with a scoring record but also a good touch .Would not be surprised it it is a championship player who is currently outside the squad but done well at our level previously .

Id be happy with the last two Phil if they were potentially decent players and a creative midfielder, although we have Clare and Parker, would be a bonus.

C'mon guys, don't let standards drop.

I want to know some actual names of targets, their position, current club etc.
Both realistic and wildly inaccurate and fanciful.

Right, GO!

markinkent - 14/12/2017 18:17

2016/17 - 20th
2014/15 - 12th
2013/14 - 17th

Good post, looking at that cycle of past league placings makes it seem all the more likely that we will go down this season.

The caveat to that will be how we do business wise in the transfer window - I was hoping for more than 2 players coming in, but I suppose 2 quality players that stay fit for the rest of the season could be enough to make a difference.

I've seen Matt Godden a few times this season and been impressed. I think SL could be interested allthough a fee woud be required .

Charlton are supposed to be interested and would probably be his first choice.

I want a dominant centre midfielder mainly. Hess and Byrne is a conference midfield. I'd like a powerhouse who can dominate a game. I'm happy with Wagstaff, Parker, Martin and List as our wide options. A centre forward is also essential if SL doesn't rate Nash, as is a left back as Garmston unfortunately cannot be relied upon.

PapaBurgundy - 15/12/2017 14:35

I want a dominant centre midfielder mainly. Hess and Byrne is a conference midfield. I'd like a powerhouse who can dominate a game. I'm happy with Wagstaff, Parker, Martin and List as our wide options. A centre forward is also essential if SL doesn't rate Nash, as is a left back as Garmston unfortunately cannot be relied upon.
Agreed although I wonder on Nash if some of the problem Lovell has with Nash could be addressed with a experienced forward providing him with a chance or two ? Eaves and Wilkinson clearly are not able to read the game well enough to link up with another forward .Most of Parker's goals have come from other sources .I am hard pressed to remember that many goals where our front two have worked a opening for themselves .