Lovell 'it's not my fault'. | Vital Football

Lovell 'it's not my fault'.

Steve Evans for me should he be off. I know it's not a popular choice for obvious reasons but I think he is a very good lower leagues manager and League Two football sucks phallus.

This is so disappointing, and actually an admission of personal failure. If the players are regularly failing to perform on match day then one of two things are happening. Either the message being communicated by the management is wrong (tactics), or the team are not playing for the manager (motivation). Lovell is responsible for both.

The statement about young players needing to grow up is also very strange. The defense consisted of players aged 27, 27, 30, and 32. Add in Byrne at 30, Eaves at 27, Burke at 25, Rees at 25 and King at 24 then this wasn't a young team. If he is heaping the blame solely on Hanlon and Oglivie then he was watching a different game to me. It's some of the older pros who are lacking application and responsibility, and one or two that he starts every game.

I like Lovell and so want him to do well but right now he looks lost at sea.

Some of the comments in there, he may well have a point - "If you are asking people to run because they are not running, asking people to tackle because they are not tackling, there is something wrong somewhere isn’t there?". If that's what he thinks is happening, then yes, he's right to call them out on it.

But then when he comes out with comments like "It’s not my fault. I am not taking the blame, I’m not out there, they are out there", or "I haven’t conceded four goals, my players have. They are to blame, not me", you have to think that's not exactly conducive to a good dressing room atmosphere.

ManU had all the same problems with players not good enough and not performing, it wasn't the managers fault.

???????????????????????????????????????

Some of the players are indicating that the mood is not right at present. This may well be the most important issue right now and, IMO, the need for SL to inflate the players` collective motivation is paramount. We know that our team, when mentally up for it, is capable of beating anyone in our division, they`ve already done it. A decent run, even mini-run, should be enough to stay in L1. Come on boys ..............

Think Lancs has made a good point. The players don't look like they're enjoying playing at the moment. Yes of course they all want to be winning but if as players they're constantly being asked to do roles "for the team" rather than their preferred position and then get slated by the manager for their performance after the game, I don't think many players would be happy.

This is a system that SL has used at home now for nearly 2 years, and on the whole it has created more problems for us defensively that it has created chances, but still he refuses to change the system.

To get the players on side he needs to adopt an attitude of working with the players, not saying this is the way were going to play like or lump it and then when it goes tits up blaming the players like he did after Saturday. Saturday wasn't a one off FFS its become the norm at home.

Comments like Saturday IMO put him on the slippery slope to his P45.

Yet again whenever we hit a slippery slide, no one wants to take ownership of the problem. We all know who is to blame. So in the absence of anyone with balls within the club, feel free to not blame Scally, SL, or the players. It is actually all my fault. All abuse gratefully received.

The statement about young players needing to grow up is also very strange. The defense consisted of players aged 27, 27, 30, and 32. Add in Byrne at 30, Eaves at 27, Burke at 25, Rees at 25 and King at 24 then this wasn't a young team. If he is heaping the blame solely on Hanlon and Oglivie then he was watching a different game to me.

Not sure why you are excluding 22 year old starting left back Ogilvie from your analysis when it’s fairly obvious that it’s he who Lovell was talking about? Clearly at fault for 3 of the goals and not putting in the effort required.

Not solely to blame of course, id say it was as much Lovell’s use of the 4-2-3-1 formation with Rees and Byrne assigned to protect the back line that was the problem.

Not sure why you are excluding 22 year old starting left back Ogilvie from your analysis when it’s fairly obvious that it’s he who Lovell was talking about? Clearly at fault for 3 of the goals and not putting in the effort required.

Not solely to blame of course, id say it was as much Lovell’s use of the 4-2-3-1 formation with Rees and Byrne assigned to protect the back line that was the problem.

Agree Ogilivie was culpable as you say, but who picked him to play left back, a position he's struggled in (to put I politely) in almost every game he's played there and who was it who didn't get a 'proper' LB during the transfer window. Clearly it wasn't SL judging by his comments.

I'm confused. I thought the concensus was that Scally was to blame for everything?
Yes, we are now blaming him for appointing Lovell:grinning:

We are one place below where I hoped/expected us to finish. I'd give Lovell a bit more rope for now. A year ago we thought he was a genius. Still can't understand why he persists with Ogilvie at FB (not just blaming Ogilvie btw, he's fine at CB). Don't like public shaming of players by a manager. Hardly motivating (see Mourinho at Manure).

With Zak out for the season it will have to be either Ogilvie or Lacey at CB.
Personally I think SL has run out of ideas with his utterances sounding like a very desperate man.

Very similar comments to those we saw earlier in the season criticising List. I said at the time it might get a positive response from the players (it did) but that it wasn’t a good long term strategy. Let’s hope it will work this time around and see us pick up enough points to reach safety.

Looks like his days are well and truely numbered though.