Love Thy Neighbor. | Vital Football

Love Thy Neighbor.

davetcb

Vital Newbie
As an outsider looking in (Wolves Fan).
What would happen if you dont get promoted, i.e. Grealish, Terry...etc, What about Bruce & Co.
Has your owner got enough money to pump in again to mount another challenge next season.
If you don't go up, surely Bruce must go, your squad is definitely good enough for top 2 finish, but watching your last few games your subs in matches are baffling, too many strikers on & taking creative players off.
Believe you me we as Wolves fans as you know have had too many failures in the past.
If you dont make it your next appointment of manager will be crucial, can't see Bruce being there if you don't make it, it will need fresh ideas from a younger manager, Marco Sylva, Dean Smith or someone like Shaun Dyche, someone who's not stuck in the past.
GoodLuck.??

Welcome Dave.

I would imagine Bruce will come under severe pressure if we don't make it this season. The stated aim of the club was promotion, and not achieving that would be a failure, pure and simple.

No one really knows what Dr Xia would be prepared to do. They went big at the start of last season and in the following January transfer window, to no effect. FFP rules have us boxed in somewhat so even if he was able/inclined to do so, I don't think Xia would be able to throw huge sums of money at the team again.

I would expect Bruce to be cut loose if we don't go up, and then the next appointment would be critical, as you say. Based on the performances since the Wolves game, we have a hell of a job to secure a play-off place, never mind actually win at Wembley. Squeaky bum time for sure.

Incidentally, if I could flip the question to Wolves for a moment...

What happens next season for you guys? Will the likes of Neves and co stick around for a tilt in the Premier League, or is Jorge Mendes going to ship them out? What I mean is, are they in the shop window this season, so to speak?

I would imagine they will stick around for at least a year to see how they go and possibly inflate their value some more if they make a decent fist of things against the better sides.

And what about all this nonsense at the moment, where Wolves are supposedly being investigated after complaints from other clubs re FFP and these loan signings of Champions League-quality players? I just find it all so bizarre at this stage - smacks of desperation from those complaining (not sure if Villa are involved in this nonsense, or if it's Cardiff and Leeds as I have heard elsewhere?)

We wouldn't have enough cash to do a massive rebuild. We could sell somebody like Grealish to generate cash, but I suspect it wouldn't be enough to make it worth while. Besides which, we need him.

The squad is way too large, due to rather strange transfers over the last couple of years. I think the way forward is to spend our money on keeping the really valuable experienced players, and ditch the rest, and also look to bring on a number of our youngsters. We should have enough money for the odd useful signing as well.

If Bruce can't do it with the squad he's got, and the time he's been given, then he can't do it, and I think for that reason he'd go. Can't see him being more effective with a trimmed-down squad.

It'll be a relief to get rid of Gabby, Richards and McCormack (if we can). That alone would make it feel like a fresh start.

Incidentally, if I could flip the question to Wolves for a moment...

What happens next season for you guys? Will the likes of Neves and co stick around for a tilt in the Premier League, or is Jorge Mendes going to ship them out? What I mean is, are they in the shop window this season, so to speak?

I would imagine they will stick around for at least a year to see how they go and possibly inflate their value some more if they make a decent fist of things against the better sides.

And what about all this nonsense at the moment, where Wolves are supposedly being investigated after complaints from other clubs re FFP and these loan signings of Champions League-quality players? I just find it all so bizarre at this stage - smacks of desperation from those complaining (not sure if Villa are involved in this nonsense, or if it's Cardiff and Leeds as I have hears elsewhere?)
Like you say all our signings hopefully will give us at least a season if we go up, they will have to prove themselves in the Prem first.
Our owners are promising to spend big once promoted? so lets wait & see.
As for the FFP our owners have assured us all is. Above board concerning FFP. & like you say sour grapes from other clubs.?

Dont think we could raise a great deal of cash to be honest Mc Parland. We have a number of older players with very little value and loan players for which the parent clubs will decide what happens to them.
Grealish springs to mind to sell, but we could do with keeping him, and his form is up and down anyway and Im not sure any club would take a big money punt on him.
In the shit to be honest if we dont scrape up this season, and probably in the shit if we do.

To my understanding the EFL have already cleared whatever arrangement they said Wolves had with Jorge Mendes, so unless you've broken that and there's proof there's unlikely to be anything in it even if it does sound a strange arrangement.

Wolves like Villa are hardly media darlings so my guess is if there was anything there, the authorities would be more than happy to make an example.

Congrats on doing well this year, been good on the eye even if some of the banter twitter wise seems over the top or misunderstood as tongue in cheek.

Think that's right 67 on them two with contract length.

Its simple for me. Wolves last season were nothing , they invested the new wealth and have pissed this league. We should have been with them but have occupied 2nd spot for 5 mins. We won 1 game in the first 7 and the manager was forced to change tactics to save his neck as harry redknapp told us. Our last 3 games are enough for me to sack this joker and go for broke. Utterley clueless and the pace of the last 3 games alone proves he is out of his depth. Bruce should have been sacked after cardiff away , a game we easily could have lost 7. 0 . If we dont beat reading on tuesday i would bring in the manager to prepare us for next season , i wouldnt waste a second , truly awful manager and but for luck against sheff utd , preston and sheff wed we would now be slogging it out with millwall.

I dont care hes won 50% of his games in charge , big fukin deal , look at our wage bill and what we have available, we should piss it but its ok gabby one. Goal a year is a loyal servant wtf , hes a bog standard run of the mill manager and we are a reflection of that, so many performances that could mirror yesterday.

We simply have to get up even if it's via the play offs .
Another season at this level will financially kill the club.
And I think interest from the owner will dissolve as will attendances .

Yes as much as I am enjoying this season we have to go up for financial reasons.

If we didn't next season could see us without Terry , Johnstone , Snoddy , Super Jack just to name a few and replacing them with financial restrictions ain't going to be easy.

If we dont go up we will live within our means and eventually will be stroger and better prepared.

Dont think we could raise a great deal of cash to be honest Mc Parland. We have a number of older players with very little value and loan players for which the parent clubs will decide what happens to them.

Wasn't thinking about the cash which selling would bring in. Having a squad too large makes training difficult and keeps developing players out of the squad. That's one reason why Bruce shifted out players like De Laet on loan. A leaner squad is probably better for training, and opens up options for more developing players. But shifting players out would improve the wage bill as well.

Re Richards and McCormack, I think the club may find a way to ship them out, even if they're not at the end of their contracts. We'd probably take a loss on it.

Let's have a squad of players who we really want to be here.

Incidently, find it a bit strange that neither Terry nor Snodgrass is listed in the first team squad on the Villa web site. Not impressed.

Last edited:
If you look at the management structure now it is buit for success, the team manager doesnt fit that framework as he is lesser than the total of parts available. Id bin him now. We lose to reading on tuesday and dr toney would be justified in getting rid . awful manager .

To my understanding the EFL have already cleared whatever arrangement they said Wolves had with Jorge Mendes, so unless you've broken that and there's proof there's unlikely to be anything in it even if it does sound a strange arrangement.

Wolves like Villa are hardly media darlings so my guess is if there was anything there, the authorities would be more than happy to make an example.

Congrats on doing well this year, been good on the eye even if some of the banter twitter wise seems over the top or misunderstood as tongue in cheek.

Think that's right 67 on them two with contract length.
Banter is good as long as it doesn't go to far, Wolves have never had a problem with Villa as there's enough milage between us to call our games a derby not local derby, its only this season the rivalrys got worse because of Bruce kept on about "Lets see where Wolves are in the winter".
That's where the "Mind the Gap" song was sang aimed at Bruce.
Our rivals are the boggies as you know.

If we don't go up it would be madness to keep Bruce.

After the Wolves game most were saying the next 3 games would yield 9 points, we got one..........pathetic.

If he can't get promoted with this squad what chance has he got with nothing to spend.