Lottery | Vital Football

Lottery

The Fear

A Wise Man (once sat next to him)
Can't believe they are doubling the price.

Reading this, they are also lowering some of the prizes for 5 and 5+ bonus ball.

Will you still do it?

I won't, I will do the Thunderball instead I think!

http://money.aol.co.uk/2013/05/08/is-national-lottery-price-rise-a-stealth-tax/?ncid=webmail6

I fully understand the price rise personally.

It's been running for 19 years, and this is the first time they have increased the price.

Inflation has gone up 72% in that time, so really a ticket should now cost £1.72.

HOWEVER, you have to take into account that for the past 18 years you've been getting your tickets cheaper than the rate of inflation, so for the past 12 months for instance you've still been paying £1 when they should have by right gone up to around the £1.68 mark.

I think £2 is pretty fair, and I'm guessing it will stay at the price for some time, even when inflation is probably nearing the £3 mark.

Also, the new prize structure looks much better.

£25 for 3 numbers. Great. £10 is crap. No use to anyone.

DeanoVilla - 9/5/2013 10:23

I fully understand the price rise personally.

It's been running for 19 years, and this is the first time they have increased the price.

Inflation has gone up 72% in that time, so really a ticket should now cost £1.72.

HOWEVER, you have to take into account that for the past 18 years you've been getting your tickets cheaper than the rate of inflation, so for the past 12 months for instance you've still been paying £1 when they should have by right gone up to around the £1.68 mark.

I think £2 is pretty fair, and I'm guessing it will stay at the price for some time, even when inflation is probably nearing the £3 mark.

Also, the new prize structure looks much better.

£25 for 3 numbers. Great. £10 is crap. No use to anyone.

I like tenners, can I have yours if you don't want them? :17:

? So a raffle ticket to win money should keep up with inflation? It's not a service, if they were failing to make MILLIONS in profit than yes I could understand it, but much like the utilities corporations, record profits obviously mean a price increase.

This will only really impact those on the lowest incomes, much like everything else, so I suppose it's alright.

Would have liked the Branson model. More millionaires, more smaller amounts, not so many massive ones.

Personally would love one where it was all profit to charity or into something worthwhile.

I don't think it is a sensible rise at all to double in one go. Bigger jackpots aren't needed and to reduce the smaller prizes for five and five plus bonus makes no sense.

I won't be paying two quid.

BodyButter - 9/5/2013 16:33

Are the prizes doubled too (and I don't mean the poxy 3 numbers that nobody wants)?

However, the prize for matching five numbers will drop from £1,500 to £1,000 and the prize for matching five numbers plus the bonus ball will drop from £100,000 to £50,000.

The Fear - 10/5/2013 01:41

Would have liked the Branson model. More millionaires, more smaller amounts, not so many massive ones.

Personally would love one where it was all profit to charity or into something worthwhile.

I don't think it is a sensible rise at all to double in one go. Bigger jackpots aren't needed and to reduce the smaller prizes for five and five plus bonus makes no sense.

I won't be paying two quid.

That whole thing stank of corruption. Branson's model was better in every way and yet lost. I guess he didn't go to the right school.

Disagree deano, obviously no right and wrong in this, just what you want out of a lottery.

I don't pay a quid to win a tenner and am not arsed by it. I won't want to pay two quid to win just 25.

Would rather they had looked at a two million jackpot, then more thousand pound, ten thousand etc prizes. Money that can make a difference.

Agreed BB. 'Something' happened at the time as Camelot were meant to be out of the running.

steff_the_villan - 9/5/2013 16:31

? So a raffle ticket to win money should keep up with inflation? It's not a service, if they were failing to make MILLIONS in profit than yes I could understand it, but much like the utilities corporations, record profits obviously mean a price increase.

This will only really impact those on the lowest incomes, much like everything else, so I suppose it's alright.

So you think it should stay at £1 for ever and not go up like everything else?

It's a lovely dream but this is real life.

DeanoVilla - 10/5/2013 06:35

steff_the_villan - 9/5/2013 16:31

So you think it should stay at £1 for ever and not go up like everything else?

It's a lovely dream but this is real life.

I can't see the connection between the price of a lottery ticket and inflation.

Surely with inflation wages are rising and so the total spent on lottery tickets will remain the same whether a ticket is 1p or £100?

It's just the way of the world Everything goes up.

I remember when I first started playing fruit machines it was 10p a press. Now it's 25p or in some cases 50p a press.

I've never played Bingo, but I assume the price for a card is not the same as it was 30 years ago?

Even raffle tickets these days can cost a couple of quid. They used to be 10 back when I was a kid.

Things go up in price over time. It's just normal.

Doesn't have to. And agree it has nothing to do with inflation. They get a prize pot from what punters spend and share a % of it and keep a %

I could be wrong, although it is very unlikely :3: , but I think a lot of people will stop doing it or cut down.

Does anyone know when the lottery is back up for tender?

I just don't get how anyone can think it can stay at £1 for ever. It makes no sense to me at all.

12p of every pound goes to the government as duty. How many other taxes have not risen in the past 19 years?

27p out of every pound goes to charity. 27p today is not worth the same as what 27p was worth back in 1994, so the charities aren't benefiting as much.

Interestingly only 0.5p of every ticket purchased goes to making Camelot a profit, so raising the price from £1 to £2 only beneifits them by 0.5p per ticket.

If people stop playing then fine. Nobody is forcing people to play. You pays your money you makes your choice.

But to expect a ticket to still cost £1 forever more when everything else is still going up, I just don't understand that view at all.

Anyway, I never said it should be linked to or go up with inflation. I merely said that after 19 years of no price rises, it was due one and still works out overall as being under inflation so it's no biggy.

Well, sort of what I mean, they can put it up, it is their choice. I just won't want to be doing it.

I hear what you are saying, but doubling is just too big a jump in my ever so humble and as said, they are reducing 5 and 5+ bonus which is daft.

Think their timing is off because people are still feeling the squeeze with the recession.

I might get one when there is a rollover I guess, but not weekly any more, especially as I pay for my mom's line as well !

I'll do the Thunderball, £500k would do me! Or if I want to waste £2 will do a Euro. If I'm going to lose, I might as well lose big! LOL

Yeah I'm not saying it's a good idea to double it, just that I understand the reasons why.

I don't play it very often any more to be honest. I have 2 lines that I used to play all the time, so maybe once every couple of months I'll play those 2 lines. I think I still will at £2.

They are in a difficult position. These kind of things you can;t really raise gradually. They could have raised it 5p per year and nobody would have batted an eyelid, but when have you ever see a litteyr ticket being sold for a random number like £1.05 or £1.65.

Easy to stick with round figures, so i guess they thought just keep it at a quid as long as its viable and just hope a rise every 20 years is acceptable to folk.

Difficult call.

Effectively, it's a tax increase that will impact mostly on poorer people.