Lost in translation | Vital Football

Lost in translation

st-pedros-basin

Vital Champions League
filtering through recent words from Pardew..

"I have to be honest, I would like to have levels of communication greater than they are in terms of 'is our message and the message of my staff getting through 100 per cent'?"

"You need to have feedback and understand what the problems are that they are experiencing on the pitch and then you have to make sure that you have a game-plan that works."

Pardew has just spelt it out himself. We either need to replace him with a multi-lingual manager or change our transfer policy completely.
I know which Ashley will see as the cheaper option

Didn't he also say that they were all going to be having intensive English lessons when they arrived back in Jan?

The captain's column, which appears in the programme every home game is Colo's thoughts on the recent and forthcoming games. Even when he was in Argentina the column continued in a nicely presented article. Seems like Colo has adapted very well with his English lessons. He does write these articles, doesn't he...?

I believe he did jiggy, He also said if i recall correctly that he would be fining players if they didn't get their english up to scractch

Why doesn't Pardew meet them half way and get some french lessons? If my job depended on it I would
Is that too much to ask? He certainly appears to have plaenty of spare time in the afternoon to get himself on a course
I doubt his arrogance has allowed him to even consider it

st-pedros-basin - 3/5/2013 11:53

Why doesn't Pardew meet them half way and get some french lessons? If my job depended on it I would
Is that too much to ask? He certainly appears to have plaenty of spare time in the afternoon to get himself on a course
I doubt his arrogance has allowed him to even consider it

Doesn't he need English lessons first?

I somehow think pardew is struggling to get his message across because even he doesn't know what it is and nothing to do with a failure in language.

I was going to do a thread on this today...

I findi it quite astonishing that most of them still cant speak english.Tiote,Cisse & Santon all been here long enough and only have a very very basic grasp of english.
Does Cabaye even speak any? How many of our players are interviewed live on tv after games?

Cabaye is fluent enough PM. I have seen him interviewed on telly and he does ok. As for the others, fuck knows.

ToonDemon did well to remember Partridge saying he would fine those who weren't up to scratch. We haven't heard much on that front of late.

Most of the time they have Olivier bernard as a translator I think, certainly for interview purposes. I imagine he's there in the dressing room too. The thing is, for a translator to be any good they need to have a good grasp of tactics to get messages across... like a certain jose mourinho when he worked as a translator for sir bobby

Most French can speak English, no?
or at least enough to get by. I'm suspicious some of them are being selective with their understanding

st-pedros-basin - 3/5/2013 14:00

Most French can speak English, no?
or at least enough to get by. I'm suspicious some of them are being selective with their understanding

not so sure pedro. I worked in france and had a few problems with the language barrier. One french bloke summed it up quite well when he said the french were very similar to the English in that they don't like to learn other peoples language.

It's a non excuse.

How did they manage last season when we finished 5th? Flashcards?

If Pardew didn't faff around with some mysterious tactics that confuse many of us English speakers in the crowd then there's nee wonder the foreigners can't make head nor tail of it.

The whole issue is tactics, nothing more, nothing less.

You could argue the lack of depth at the start of the season and lack of spending is a major contributor but since the last window that was addressed.

poisoned_monkey - 3/5/2013 13:43

I was going to do a thread on this today...

I findi it quite astonishing that most of them still cant speak english.Tiote,Cisse & Santon all been here long enough and only have a very very basic grasp of english.
Does Cabaye even speak any? How many of our players are interviewed live on tv after games?

Tiote has been here three years, and he still can't speak English??

Toon_NoMatterWot - 3/5/2013 14:17

It's a non excuse.

How did they manage last season when we finished 5th? Flashcards?

If Pardew didn't faff around with some mysterious tactics that confuse many of us English speakers in the crowd then there's nee wonder the foreigners can't make head nor tail of it.

The whole issue is tactics, nothing more, nothing less.

You could argue the lack of depth at the start of the season and lack of spending is a major contributor but since the last window that was addressed.

Maybe HE is looking for excuses to his non-performance.

He's completely the type to take the credit and plaudits, but when things go to shit under his control, he starts looking for excuses and to blame others.

thecorner - 3/5/2013 13:15

I somehow think pardew is struggling to get his message across because even he doesn't know what it is and nothing to do with a failure in language.

This

Although the language barrier would obviously make it worse