losing the Love | Vital Football

losing the Love

Man with Dog

Vital Youth Team
I have supported WAFC since 1972 and I have never felt as disconnected from my club as I do today. I have to go back to the Kenny Swain era for similar feelings but thinking about it KS had no funds and little to work with so our current plight makes me seethe with anger. I firmly believe that this squad of players coached more diligently could be 6 to 8 points better off, I know that I am stating what has been said many times before but I just needed to post. How sad that I now prefer to watch mid-week games via the red button than venture down to the spectacle that is a floodlit game and I do have a season ticket. I am afraid that I will not remember PC for his exploits in League One and the Man City game, it will be the current season that I will remember him for.

After watching the club from 1972 (1975 myself) you will have been through many highs and lows. I understand that many people feel this is the lowest point and that is their view.

A club like Wigan Athletic does not have the support or money to have constant success. We were bound to dip after years of winning cups and Premier League survival. Winning Division One was a great high but then with changes come some re-organisation.

At the moment, the first team has struggled but there are signs of improvement and they are definitely putting in immense effort. Cook has made some unpopular decisions but he is learning at this level and, most of the time, I like what he is building. There is certainly a bright future with our youth set up.

Our new owners and the management team will take time to make things better, but they are investing a lot of money so I do think things will get better.

I am sorry you are sitting at home watching on the red button, because the atmosphere on Tuesday was brilliant. The second half was great and good fun to watch. The team obviously were relieved and thanked the fans for their support. FFS Naismith was geeing up a crowd that wrongly booed him late last year, which was great to see. We don't deserve that forgiveness after the shit he was given. Lowe is our scapegoat at the moment - until he scores!

It is frustrating to see a team struggling with confidence but we can all do our bit to help that. This team has been and continues to be my joy and my release from the crap that everyday life throws at me.
Today is a great day, simply because of Transfer Deadline Day :bounce::bounce::bounce:

I think your feelings are mirrored by a great many older Latics fans and younger one's for that matter. I myself am feeling very disenchanted with the club and the way it is being run. I'm sure the squad although not great are easily good enough to avoid relegation but It seems this manager is hell bent on taking us down.

After watching the club from 1972 (1975 myself) you will have been through many highs and lows. I understand that many people feel this is the lowest point and that is their view.

A club like Wigan Athletic does not have the support or money to have constant success. We were bound to dip after years of winning cups and Premier League survival. Winning Division One was a great high but then with changes come some re-organisation.

At the moment, the first team has struggled but there are signs of improvement and they are definitely putting in immense effort. Cook has made some unpopular decisions but he is learning at this level and, most of the time, I like what he is building. There is certainly a bright future with our youth set up.

Our new owners and the management team will take time to make things better, but they are investing a lot of money so I do think things will get better.

I am sorry you are sitting at home watching on the red button, because the atmosphere on Tuesday was brilliant. The second half was great and good fun to watch. The team obviously were relieved and thanked the fans for their support. FFS Naismith was geeing up a crowd that wrongly booed him late last year, which was great to see. We don't deserve that forgiveness after the shit he was given. Lowe is our scapegoat at the moment - until he scores!

It is frustrating to see a team struggling with confidence but we can all do our bit to help that. This team has been and continues to be my joy and my release from the crap that everyday life throws at me.
Today is a great day, simply because of Transfer Deadline Day :bounce::bounce::bounce:
Lowe isn't a scapegoat, he's just not good enough and has been consistently poor and one of the three reasons our attack is so poor.
The football styles have been bloody awful too.
It's stale and boring. No wingers, one up top, weak as piss attacking midfield. Like watching porridge set.

I have supported WAFC since 1972 and I have never felt as disconnected from my club as I do today. I have to go back to the Kenny Swain era for similar feelings but thinking about it KS had no funds and little to work with so our current plight makes me seethe with anger. I firmly believe that this squad of players coached more diligently could be 6 to 8 points better off, I know that I am stating what has been said many times before but I just needed to post. How sad that I now prefer to watch mid-week games via the red button than venture down to the spectacle that is a floodlit game and I do have a season ticket. I am afraid that I will not remember PC for his exploits in League One and the Man City game, it will be the current season that I will remember him for.

Don't worry bro Cook won't be with us forever, once he slings his hook the love WILL come back, 100% certain of that! :thumbup:

Lowe isn't a scapegoat, he's just not good enough and has been consistently poor and one of the three reasons our attack is so poor.
The football styles have been bloody awful too.
It's stale and boring. No wingers, one up top, weak as piss attacking midfield. Like watching porridge set.

Well Lowe is the only name I hear at games at the moment. Confidence is the issue, we have seen enough to show there is a good player there. If that goal had been scored by Aguerro it would have gone viral. It’s easy to slag a player off if you if you fail to take into account age and experience. But I am talking to people who hated our FA Cup winning manager, aren’ I?

And if you didn’t enjoy Tuesday’s game, it’s not worth talking to you......

Well Lowe is the only name I hear at games at the moment. Confidence is the issue, we have seen enough to show there is a good player there. If that goal had been scored by Aguerro it would have gone viral. It’s easy to slag a player off if you if you fail to take into account age and experience. But I am talking to people who hated our FA Cup winning manager, aren’ I?

And if you didn’t enjoy Tuesday’s game, it’s not worth talking to you......
Exactly when have we seen enough from Lowe to show he's a good player ?
As for your sign off rather a sweeping statement.
In my own case Loved Bob - detest 🤡

Thank you.
My sentiments too.

For seven of us we’ve made the decision this is our final season if Cook remains in place.

As fans and a club we’ve taken defeat & relegation on the chin. But this is different. This is self-inflicted damage. Even now their doesn’t appear any appetite to take responsibility and address the problems.

As passionate Latics fans we feel it’s time to draw a line in the sand. We don’t demand success. We don’t demand spending fortunes. But we do demand the club standing up and not allowing itself to become a laughing stock.

Unfortunately under Cook that’s exactly what we’ve become. I hope he proves me wrong and we pull ourselves out of the ****. Then push on the following season. He did the first part last season. But this season we’ve plunged even deeper into the mire.

Don't worry bro Cook won't be with us forever, once he slings his hook the love WILL come back, 100% certain of that! :thumbup:

I see what you're getting at, and I agree to a point...

But the love hasn't gone anywhere. I love the club like I always have and always will. That's why I'm so livid with the way management is taking us at the moment.

We have the worst manager in our entire history. At any other club he'd have been sacked a year ago. His record is indefensible, and his remarks to press are a total embarrassment. Kenny Swain was awful, but he had no money and very few even remotely decent players to work with. Cook has spent ten million quid and already has some great players if he used them properly.

My point is that yes, I'm disillusioned, but I love the club, and that's why I'm still here, still posting, still caring... Just like most other posters no doubt. The love is alive and kicking. Nothing will kill that. But the confidence isn't, nor is the faith, nor is the hope.

It's so depressing that we still have that imbecile in the manager's office, and it breaks my heart that I'm not going to renew my season ticket if Cook is still in charge, but frankly I can't take much more of the crap that were suffering under Cook. It hurts more to be there than it does not being there, and that is the single most damning thing I can say. #cookout

Bro - how's the dog?
The dog is good getting on a bit but still got plenty in the tank. He has the blue blood of WAFC running through his veins so all will be well. He sat on the sofa with me to watch the Sheff game on the old red button but it was not on guess that was a message from the football loving God to get my disconnected arse down to the stadium. I wonder what our Teflon Don manager will be planning for today let us hope that lightening can strike twice.

Interesting to read the views of fellow Tics, I also feel that everything below the first team is going well I hope we can keep hold of Rioch and his staff as we are a club that will need to sell to survive. What I have experienced in the last 20 years has been a dream 👍 a friend of mine who is a PNE supporter said in 2013 how we should enjoy the moment he stated that if Preston had won the FA Cup in his lifetime that would of satisfied him for the rest of his footballing life. I accept we have punched above our weight and that if we do take the drop I doubt we will be in a position to bounce straight back I just want a manager who has some empathy with the supporters and players who will put in a shift. If we have that then life is swell.

For seven of us we’ve made the decision this is our final season if Cook remains in place.

As fans and a club we’ve taken defeat & relegation on the chin. But this is different. This is self-inflicted damage. Even now their doesn’t appear any appetite to take responsibility and address the problems.

As passionate Latics fans we feel it’s time to draw a line in the sand. We don’t demand success. We don’t demand spending fortunes. But we do demand the club standing up and not allowing itself to become a laughing stock.

Unfortunately under Cook that’s exactly what we’ve become. I hope he proves me wrong and we pull ourselves out of the ****. Then push on the following season. He did the first part last season. But this season we’ve plunged even deeper into the mire.
Well he sort of pushed us out of the shit he had pushed us into in the first place last season and the push on was supposed to have been this season but here we are again up to our waists in shite with what was allegedly meant to be an improved squad. Will we go neck deep? Who knows what will happen when other clubs are on the beach again like last year.

It's natural for the love of the team to fade when you're so frustrated with the club. We've been in similar positions before and we'll be here again - probably in an even worse state of affairs in the future.

I don't blame anyone who is fed up to the point of wanting to give up going. The narrative will often be thrown that those season ticket holders saying they are walking away at a time like this are poor fans but the flip side can be true they care so much that seeing the club they love struggle that it's too painful to watch for them. At the end of the day Football is meant to be fun / a hobby / an escape - it's entertainment. If you really aren't enjoying it, it's not unreasonable to think you could maybe spend your disposable income and Saturday doing something you'd get more pleasure out of. We all live busy lives and we arent all blessed with lots of free time and spare money so personally I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking they'll give the football a miss and use the Saturday afternoon to take the kids out bowling or meet up with friends or something else if they thought they'd enjoy it more.

But in the past when we've seen it all fall apart there were good spells, moments or seasons after that to get people to regain the love lost. Hopefully this awful spell won't last too much longer and next season likely in L1 will be better.

It may not be for a while yet or under this management with this group of players but I'm sure those losing the love will get it back at some point.

I'm as fed up as anyone with the current situation but I'll be renewing my season ticket as every year is something of a new chapter or a clean(ish) slate. Even if you aren't confident football is a funny game and we all know anything can happen - maybe it will be a pleasant suprise. So after sitting through some of the rubbish we've sat through for so long I certainly wouldn't want to not be there when it turned around and miss the highs to balance out all the lows we are now suffering through. But I understand and respect that some people don't see it the same way.