Looking like us v Fulham. | Page 2 | Vital Football

Looking like us v Fulham.

I prefer 3v4, winner straight thru to Wembley. 5v6, winner plays loser of 3v4 for the other place at Wembley.

That way you don't get the 2 weeks going off the boil as MA suggests, but a 3v4 final is more likely and rewards finishing position

I think the play offs should be 6th plays away to 5th, winner away to 4th and the winner of that plays the 3rd at Wembley.

I think it’s fine as it is...if things stay as they are we’ll have shared the points pretty evenly with the other play off sides and that seems good enough for me. Yes, this season the team finishing third will be miles ahead but everyone knows the rules at the beginning of the season and another time there might be only one point in it.
Used to think that 3rd, 4th and 5th should compete with third from bottom of the Prem in the playoffs but a possible Wembley final for the team finishing 18th doesn’t seem quite right either.

We're still just as likely to miss out as we are to get in! Barnsley are fighting for their lives, and I'd expect them to have more fight than us. I feel we'll be relying on others to get us that 6th spot.

We're still just as likely to miss out as we are to get in! Barnsley are fighting for their lives, and I'd expect them to have more fight than us. I feel we'll be relying on others to get us that 6th spot.

Hope not...but the ‘system’ has somehow produced a great final day when, by my reckoning, only twelve clubs (50%) from the division can be sure of what League they’ll be playing in next season going into the last match.

The coincidence that sees the two teams looking for the final playoff place (and here I shall set Millwall aside as they are unlikely to turn over goal difference) both playing at home to two teams trying to avoid the drop is quite stimulating, although not in an understairs cupboard sort of way

The coincidence that sees the two teams looking for the final playoff place (and here I shall set Millwall aside as they are unlikely to turn over goal difference) both playing at home to two teams trying to avoid the drop is quite stimulating, although not in an understairs cupboard sort of way

Also the 2 teams looking for the final automatic promotion place are playing the 2 teams anxiously looking over their shoulder to see if Barnsley and Burton win.

Well, with a little time to spare, I’ll avoid RR’s cupboard and go for...
Brum 0 v Fulham 2
Cardiff 3 v Reading 0
Derby 3 v Barnsley 1
Preston 3 v Burton 2
Bolton 2 v Forest 1
Which would, as predicted, see us playing Fulham and Burton in League 1. Hope I’m wrong...COYR&Reading&Burton...bit of a mouthful.

So much tension... don't want to talk about the play-offs yet, don't want to jinx. So I'm taking my mind off with things like quizzes.

Well, with a little time to spare, I’ll avoid RR’s cupboard and go for...
Brum 0 v Fulham 2
Cardiff 3 v Reading 0
Derby 3 v Barnsley 1
Preston 3 v Burton 2
Bolton 2 v Forest 1
Which would, as predicted, see us playing Fulham and Burton in League 1. Hope I’m wrong...COYR&Reading&Burton...bit of a mouthful.

3-1. My forecast as well. Put a tenner on it at 12/1.......

I think the old way was better. Top 3 go up. After 46 games it's a shame a team that barely scrapes through in 6th can dislodge a team that finished with much more points and was within shout of promotion all the way.
That said I do realize it would mean we're out of the running. So maybe wait after we go up then change:wahey:
Or maybe have a mini league between 3 through 6. 3 more games each, same as now.
Play at neutral venues. The team which finish top qualifies. In that case the 3rd place team having been the better team within the league, has a fairer chance of repeating it again.
And on topic Yes if course it's us v Fulham. And us to qualify. Book your Wembley tickets early gents!:party:

Someone earlier mentioned that it might be an idea to involve those at the bottom of The Prem in the playoffs - I recall that actually happened for the first two years of the playoffs, I THINK for the reason suggested earlier, why should a team finishing third from bottom of the Prem have the chance of a day at Wembley when teams above didn't.

I think the old way was better. Top 3 go up. After 46 games it's a shame a team that barely scrapes through in 6th can dislodge a team that finished with much more points and was within shout of promotion all the way.

It will never happen. From a sporting perspective, it is far and a way the best option.

However, these days football is far more of a business than it is a sport. Top 3 going up would see less and less teams with anything left to play for in the last 4 to 6 games. Only 1 or 2 weeks ago we were in the position of being within reach of 4th and in reach of 11th. That meant that the top 11 all had something to play for. That puts seats on bums and money into the clubs.

Going into the last round of matches, PNE and Derby are fighting for 6th and Millwall have an extremely outside chance of it.

The current season keeps the season alive and interesting for more sides.

There are enough reasons not to like the system BUT...... in reality it ain't gonna change back to top 3 going up and no playoffs.

It will never happen. From a sporting perspective, it is far and a way the best option.

However, these days football is far more of a business than it is a sport. Top 3 going up would see less and less teams with anything left to play for in the last 4 to 6 games. Only 1 or 2 weeks ago we were in the position of being within reach of 4th and in reach of 11th. That meant that the top 11 all had something to play for. That puts seats on bums and money into the clubs.

Going into the last round of matches, PNE and Derby are fighting for 6th and Millwall have an extremely outside chance of it.

The current season keeps the season alive and interesting for more sides.

There are enough reasons not to like the system BUT...... in reality it ain't gonna change back to top 3 going up and no playoffs.

Fair point but a mini league would be better. All 4 clubs have 3 games. Goal difference counts.
Only no Wembley.

Back to topic. If Fulham lose it don't get 2 nd or if Cardiff fail and we win. We might have the momentum. I fancy our chances very much.

If Cardiff blow it and finish 3rd then the recent loss to us, and their failure at the last hurdle, would give us momentum. Sods law then says Ipswich beat Boro and we get Villa?

After extra time penalties or play until the first goal? First goal for me penalties just never seem fair!

3-1. My forecast as well. Put a tenner on it at 12/1.......

Unibet, bless their little hearts, gave me 3 free €2 bets this weekend. I backed Utd to beat Brighton...... that gives me yet another, as if one was necessary, to hate the Mancs. The 2nd was WBA to beat Tottenham..... that paid out €13.30 and I have Liverpool and Chelsea down as a draw.

Last edited:
After extra time penalties or play until the first goal? First goal for me penalties just never seem fair!
Never seems entirely satisfactory I agree but it’s the only way imo. Some matches could go on for another ninety minutes or more before a goal was scored...from a police, fans, stewards, transport point of view there has to be some sort of ultimate finish time.

In the meantime, while we all fight for tickets for Friday, a little Wiki/Google free play off tease.
Think I’m right in saying Ipswich have the record for the most unsuccessful Championship play off semi final appearances with 5. Then come Wolves and Brum on 4 followed by Millwall, Brighton and Forest on 3 each.
There is one more even smaller club on three, the only club to ‘fail’ in three consecutive seasons I think. Without consulting t’internet...can you give the - surprising - answer?

Last edited:
Latest Rams News