London Black Lives Matter Protest | Page 31 | Vital Football

London Black Lives Matter Protest

• Thread starter Deleted member 13556
  • Start date
Brilliant.
We can all agree that the system needs replacing.
Replaced with what ?
sensible answers only please.

A non-hierarchical system based upon peace, love, understanding, mutual-aid and co-operation which doesn't tolerate discrimination and/or prejudice.

Hope that's sensible enough for you. I'm a revolutionary not a reformist. However, if I were a reformist I would start by tackling public school privilege and generally addressing the inequality in education.

You're not a revolutionary, you're a dreamer.
You forgot to put humans into the mix.

Let's say that they close down the public school system.
How does that promote equality in the education system?

They would just invent something else to replace it.
People are entitled to spend their money on exactly what they want.

When I needed a knee replacement, rather than put an additional burden on the NHS, I paid for it at a place and time to suit me.
Is that immoral or have a done someone else a favour by not taking an NHS bed, meaning they get theirs done sooner?

I think and hope we would agree on these, what I would consider quite palpably obvious, assertions.

1. The highest powered and highest paid positions are usually occupied by white males, and consequently women and those with a different ethnicity are under represented.

2. Positions shouldn't be filled because of a gender or ethnicity bias/prejudice, instead they should be filled by those most suitable/competent. i.e. talent, experience etc.

There is a problem with number 2 though. It only works if there is a level playing field to start with. Otherwise, if there is not, you won't get a true and fair picture of who is best because some will have had a head start whilst others (through no fault of their own) have been held back.

For me, it is all about privilege and education. Until the privilege Is removed and everybody is properly educated, the bullshit will persist.

Although those who call for the positive discrimination in order to counter the lack of representation undoubtedly mean well, they're not really tackling the root of the problem.

The whole stinking shitstem needs replacing. Hence the political position that I tend to adopt generally.
There is a problem with that narrative.
It implies that all white males achieve success....
......and they do so at the expense of women and minorities.

Plenty of white males get overlooked for promotion - because they don't conform to their Company's culture.
It used to be the case that aspiring Execs. needed to join a clique.
It might be rugby, football, golf, tennis - or the Thursday drinking "club".

Sure, this excluded women and minorities - but it also excluded plenty of white males.

In any case, the premise of women and minorites not advancing is not born out by the facts.
(...and it may depend on how one defines "achievement".)

There are plenty of high powered women and other ethnicities.
Try watching Sky's Ian King business hour from 10am (Mon-Fri).

And while I believe Sky generally to be guilty of wokeness and tokenism, that mix of people accords with my knowledge of big finance in The City today.
Banking and Insurance is especially full of educated and articulate Indians - along with others.
(I hope that is taken as an observation and not as patronising !)

Thank goodness you made your Point 2.
The idea that skin-colour defines experience, outlook and belief for all with the same skin-colour is both divisive and disrespectful of individuals of the same colour but who have different experiences, outlooks and beliefs.

Lastly, while one can accept that some people benefit from early advantage, that doesn't mean others have been "held back".

A non-hierarchical system based upon peace, love, understanding, mutual-aid and co-operation which doesn't tolerate discrimination.

Does that include positive discrimination? - so you do not agree that it should be unlawful to just interview while males, even in cases where the only applicants that have the qualifications and have compiled decent CVs happen to be white males?

Or should football clubs, while being told to appoint more black managers, whatever their qualities, in order to increase the quota, also be reducing their black players as the quota is too high when compared to the ethnic percentages of citizens in the UK?

I agree with your wish for equality, as long as some do not want to be more "equal" than others, or drag up history that can not be corrected.