Lockdown hobbies/interests | Vital Football

Lockdown hobbies/interests

Removed at own request

Vital 1st Team Regular
I’ve not worked since June and pretty much been a house husband. I’ve looked at a few things to keep myself occupied but will be job hunting in January.

Not a practical person in the sense of woodwork, DIY etc but I can cook. Started with sourdough bread and pizza initially and changed over to normal yeast based ones eventually. Pretty much nailed different breads and we have a pizza oven in the garden too. Also stocked up on curry spices so have a cupboard full to use in various recipes. Saved quite a bit in takeaways over the year.

People have said why don’t you start up a little business doing food deliveries but I don’t want to. Used to be a chef and got out of it when I settled down. I just enjoy pottering in the kitchen at my own pace.

So what have you guys been up to? Seen people take up painting or other crafts, wood whittling, DIY projects or getting fit again.

Any tips for pizza base Albert? I’ve made a few myself since lockdown started but find my base a bit dry and not like you’d get from a takeaway/restaurant.

Topping wise the puree & cheese balance is lovely just could work on my bases.

Any tips for pizza base Albert? I’ve made a few myself since lockdown started but find my base a bit dry and not like you’d get from a takeaway/restaurant.

Topping wise the puree & cheese balance is lovely just could work on my bases.

I use PizzApp to work out what quantities I need. Had better success with instant yeast over sourdough but it’s just practice with hand stretching (steady @BobHatton !)

I’ve got a sack of pizza flour - mix the dough and use as per the app settings. Example, mix the dough, leave to prove at room temperature for x hours. Ball up (steady @BobHatton ) aim for 275-300g and either leave them for a few hours before using - or clingfilm them up and put them in the fridge for up to 48 hours - Or stick them in the freezer. I tend to work with lower levels of water (65-70%). I struggle if my hands are too wet or sticky (steady @BobHatton )
When you are ready to stretch the bases (don’t use a rolling pin), I put some flour and semolina mixed on a plate. Pop the dough on and cover it in the mix then starting forming the base. If any stick bits appear, use sone flour. I can recommend watching some YouTube videos for the stretching part. I’m still learning. Make sure oven is as hot as possible beforehand. I’ve sometimes part cooked the based first if I have a few to do in the indoor oven - seen people do that in a dry frying pan too.

Look at Detroit style pizzas recipes online - they are tray bake deep pan ones. They are easy to make.

I use PizzApp to work out what quantities I need. Had better success with instant yeast over sourdough but it’s just practice with hand stretching (steady @BobHatton !)

I’ve got a sack of pizza flour - mix the dough and use as per the app settings. Example, mix the dough, leave to prove at room temperature for x hours. Ball up (steady @BobHatton ) aim for 275-300g and either leave them for a few hours before using - or clingfilm them up and put them in the fridge for up to 48 hours - Or stick them in the freezer. I tend to work with lower levels of water (65-70%). I struggle if my hands are too wet or sticky (steady @BobHatton )
When you are ready to stretch the bases (don’t use a rolling pin), I put some flour and semolina mixed on a plate. Pop the dough on and cover it in the mix then starting forming the base. If any stick bits appear, use sone flour. I can recommend watching some YouTube videos for the stretching part. I’m still learning. Make sure oven is as hot as possible beforehand. I’ve sometimes part cooked the based first if I have a few to do in the indoor oven - seen people do that in a dry frying pan too.

Look at Detroit style pizzas recipes online - they are tray bake deep pan ones. They are easy to make.

Cheers Albert will look into this 🍕