local elections and councils | Vital Football

local elections and councils

badge73

Vital 1st Team Regular
Democracy and independence? Cobblers! I believe the sheep on my farm have more individuality and freedom of thought than most councillors, who are merely party hacks obsequiously following the diktats of their political masters in Westminster

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2315521/Democracy-Dont-make-laugh-This-really-goes-Town-Hall.html#ixzz2ReZO8XdF

very good read on what happens at your local town halls etc, and basic skulduggery

Good read indeed. I have often sworn about councilors and accused them of many things without any evidence at all. Turns out i was right.

My new strategy is to block politics out of my life if possible. It makes me angry, stresses me out and it makes no odds who you vote for as we have a political class in situ.

I began this week by not watching question time, a show which normally makes me want to attack my tele with an axe. I am feeling much better for it.

Can anyone ever trust a Lib-Dem after the policy u-turns they did to jump into bed with Cameron an dhis coalition!

merlin - 27/4/2013 18:24

Can anyone ever trust a Lib-Dem after the policy u-turns they did to jump into bed with Cameron an dhis coalition!

The thing with The Lib-Dems is it was easy for them to make all the promises they did as they never expected to get a shot at power. It is easy to have an ideology when it isn't likely to happen, but then it did and of-course they have had to back track on things.

Pie in the sky isn't necessarily reality

merlin - 27/4/2013 18:24

Do you not think its the same with Labour too? Every "major" party just looks at the way the Tories do things and kinda looks in awe or copies!

If you want real change you need to vote for the extremists I think. Maybe a party like BNP(wouldnt be my choice as I like the Tories) but all the others tend to work off a similar team sheet. There is strong following for UKIP but I just think they will be another party like the Tories but only worse.

All puppets of a privilege system, these parties of politicians are not suitable for purpose, they stopped representing us a long long time ago, it's time for a complete change.

Sweet Jesus and the orphans, people on here arguing about which political party is better/worse! It's like having a preference for which colour dildo you want shoved up you arse.

this is what bugs me is just the very basics in local elections, as why doesnt the majority of candidates live in the actual ward they are meant to represent?

why are they tied to a political party? i used to know a bloke who was a redditch councillor many years ago who was independent, the type of bloke who you could knock on his door at 8am or 9pm at night and say you have a problem etc and he would do his best to sort it. he used to tell me about the bullying that went on because he was independent and not towing the line, as in doing what other councillors (who belong to a party) said. they would put around stories or rumours just to get rid of the bloke as not in their club.

this is what really gets on my wick ....

I recently attended a diversity evening course that cost the council £1,900. It was held in the council chamber where £45,000 had just been spent on new furniture — to replace some that was barely eight years old.

and

After all, perks are all the rage in town halls today. When I was re-elected, almost the first thing I was asked was: ‘Of course, you’ll want a free council computer.’

I replied that I wouldn’t. I had my own computer and didn’t want to waste public funds on computers that cost £843 each, plus running costs of £129 per computer per year.

Of course, my parsimony was not shared by my fellow councillors. I learned that out of 57 colleagues, 50 have gone for the ‘free’ computers.

Though, of course, they are not free. All told, they cost council taxpayers almost £50,000 a year.

But then, what’s the odd £50,000 frittered away on computers, or £45,000 on buying unnecessary new furniture, or to pay the salary of a monitoring officer to keep councillors in line, when you can make savings in other areas, such as cutting services to the elderly

Or worse, the risk of councillors offering themselves for hire to property developers — trading on their inside knowledge of the planning system to receive fees of up to £20,000 for advice on how to get developments approved.

Yup. Redditch have one preferred builder, I live in one of their houses, 8 years in and the road still hasn't been adopted and yet they are still getting planning permission for more and more houses.

I've voted on that single issue after a long chat with a prospective councillor.

It's interesting that we look down on countries in Africa who can't get out of their bad situations because of corrupt politicians but are resigned to exactly the same fate.

We gloss ours a little and despite a free press, they play their part in fooling us that we actually live in a democracy.

If we did, they should break the power of the civil servants and also remove party whips.

Will never happen unless we can get rid of the old school tie brigade. But personally I don't think people care enough.

So guys, how many seats are UKIP going to take from the Tories. And will they also take from Labour/LibDem?