Lloris - Part II | Vital Football

Lloris - Part II

Spursex

Alert Team
http://www.skysports.com/football/n...ottenham-and-why-he-is-still-a-top-goalkeeper

Adam Bate

Comment and Analysis @ghostgoal
Hugo Lloris's errors for Tottenham and why he is still a top goalkeeper

Last Updated: 30/04/18 7:59am

skysports-hugo-lloris-tottenham_4286802.jpg

Hugo Lloris finds himself under scrutiny following a series of mistakes

Hugo Lloris's tendency to make mistakes is a worry for Tottenham but it does not necessarily mean he is not a good goalkeeper, writes Adam Bate.

Tottenham coach Mauricio Pochettino's decision to select back-up goalkeeper Michel Vorm ahead of Hugo Lloris for the club's FA Cup semi-final defeat to Manchester United invited criticism, particularly when the Dutchman was partially culpable for the opening goal. But Lloris's errors have also seen him under scrutiny this season.
The Spurs captain was questioned at the start of April when he misjudged a cross to allow Alvaro Morata to head home the opening goal for Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. Lloris was then a little unfortunate in the very next game against Stoke when an attempted clearance ricocheted off opposition striker Mame Biram Diouf to gift him an equaliser.

skysports-hugo-lloris-tottenham_4296886.jpg

Lloris has made the most errors leading to goals over the past three seasons
Regarded by his admirers as rare mistakes, Lloris nevertheless had also made what Opta defines as errors leading to goals in the reverse fixtures against both Chelsea and Stoke. Indeed, the statistics show that Lloris has made more errors leading to goals over the past three seasons than any other player in the Premier League.
Lloris has made 10 such mistakes since the summer of 2015 with five of them coming in the current campaign. Half of those 10 errors have come in matches against Chelsea, Manchester City and north London rivals Arsenal, creating a feeling that Lloris is even more likely to make a mistake when the stakes are at their highest.

What is even more worrying for the Frenchman is that he cannot point to his errors being harshly punished. Lloris has also made a total of 20 errors leading to shots in this three-year period - that is seven more than any other Premier League player. Despite his reputation, there is significant evidence to suggest he is the most error-prone player in the country.

skysports-hugo-lloris-tottenham_4296887.jpg

Lloris has also made the most errors leading to shots since 2015/16
Even so, his reputation remains. In October, Lloris was instrumental in Tottenham earning a 1-1 draw against Real Madrid in the Bernabeu. "Hugo was fantastic," said Pochettino afterwards. "He deserves big praise from everyone. He showed his real level. You had the opportunity to see why Hugo is one of the best goalkeepers in the world."
So how can Lloris's status as a top-class goalkeeper be married up with this tendency to make more mistakes than others? There are the saves such as the one from Karim Benzema that evening, of course. But perhaps understanding the reasons why Lloris is regarded so highly can also help to explain why he is more likely to make mistakes than others.
The ability to sweep up behind the defence is one of his key attributes. Lloris is not only required to read the situation to intercept those balls that go in behind the back line but also have the pace to come out and deal with them. It is an important skill. Ederson's excellence in dealing with such situations has been vital to Manchester City's success, for example.

MGngRNnbuHoiqTJH4xMDoxOjBzMTt2bJ

Watch Lloris walk out at Tottenham's new stadium with Harry Kane
According to Opta, Ederson has come off his line to sweep up behind his defence on 40 occasions this season, the most by any Premier League goalkeeper. But the man second on the list is Lloris with 32. In fact, he has done so 106 times over the past three seasons - more than anyone else - with an above average success rate of 96.2 per cent.

Trying to stop opponents from getting clear-cut opportunities is not without its risks. An unsuccessful sweeper keeper can be made to look very foolish - as was the case with Lloris against Stoke. Staying on the line is less likely to attract criticism because the more eye-catching errors can be avoided. But that does not make it the right thing to do.

608.png
508.png

Tottenham vs Watford

April 30, 2018, 7:00pm

Live on
4010-Logo.svg

Get Sky Sports Get a Sky Sports pass
It is a similar story when it comes to distribution too. Lloris is expected to build from the back at Tottenham. Again, only Ederson has played more passes inside his own half this season. Both men are good at it. They are among the four regular goalkeepers with a passing accuracy in excess of 90 per cent when attempting to play this type of pass.

However, the fact that Lloris plays such passes so often - he has attempted over 700 more of these passes than anyone else over the past three seasons - also means he misplaces more of them than any other goalkeeper too. His total of 244 failed passes inside his own half is yet another Premier League high for Lloris.

Pochettino, like Pep Guardiola, regards this as a price worth paying in order to play the style of football that he demands. Perhaps that is the crux of it with Lloris. The number of errors is alarming and some cannot be excused. But others are a natural consequence of his style. Paradoxically, it could be that Lloris is both prone to error and a top-class goalkeeper.

So do we want to go back to having a keeper like Brad Friedel playing in goal for us? Brad barely left his 6 yard box and clearly didn't put himself in positions to get hurt or make mistakes as you don't get 310 consecutive Prem appearances when you do that.

Also, when you setup a game plan against Chelsea, nobody mentions that Son let the centre half Rudiger run 50 yards in a straight line forward before he found Moses on the right. Yes, Lloris made a mistake but Son's lack of switching on defensively is the real root cause of that goal as it was the season before when Moses scored. The difference this time is that we recovered and won the game.

Both Son and Lloris need to figure out how they continually improve. That's their job. Their standards defensively have slipped but they are key players in our squad. With Lloris, I hope we can find another keeper for him to work with and keep him on his toes. Vorm has been a fantastic number 2, but I would rather have a player pushing Lloris for his place.

And as if by magic - he puts in probably one of his best performances of the season.

For all the flack he gets at times, he was almost entirely responsible for us banking the 3 pts against Watford...or at least that's how it seemed.

And as if by magic - he puts in probably one of his best performances of the season.

For all the flack he gets at times, he was almost entirely responsible for us banking the 3 pts against Watford...or at least that's how it seemed.

Agreed Ex, Hugo got us the 3 points, saved our arses on quite a few occasions.

That's the Hugo we know and love. Seem to remember him basically putting in those kind of performances every game when AVB was here for a while

His saves were pretty standard and decent keepers would expect to save them but he had a certain grit about him. He rushed out and intercepted a through ball and just got there in time. His handling and composure was good. I think the whole team is determined to get this 4 th place done or better.

His saves were pretty standard and decent keepers would expect to save them but he had a certain grit about him. He rushed out and intercepted a through ball and just got there in time. His handling and composure was good. I think the whole team is determined to get this 4 th place done or better.

I watched live and felt a couple of the saves were more than standard, and he cut out more than one chance by coming off his line.

I don't know if the whole team is determined to get it done - Dembele seemed determined to let Watford have the ball at times!

It was a good performance all round from Hugo. I just watched two saves down low, he got down very quick and clung on to them, they are very much in range though, pretty close to him. I'm not putting a downer on them , just not overstating.

I'm pretty sure his clean sheet tally is up there near the top of the "league".
When he is on his game ,as he was during the week , it gives the whole team , and me and my squeaky bum , a real confidence boost .
He has definitely had a dodgy couple of weeks , just hope he is over it now

The only thing I'm surprised about is that fans are surprised when Hugo has an outstanding game. Class is permanent, but he definitely has had a blip in his form.

If we get another 6 years out of him like the last 6 then I'll be happy.

Said it while he was struggling...I still back him as our #1. We other issues to address on pitch. DM is top of list in my book.

Another clean sheet for Hugo tonight against Newcastle . Ex , AKA statto , ( or anybody else for that matter ) do you know who has the most clean sheets this season . I'm sure he is right up there near the top

Another clean sheet for Hugo tonight against Newcastle . Ex , AKA statto , ( or anybody else for that matter ) do you know who has the most clean sheets this season . I'm sure he is right up there near the top
Hugo is joint 3rd for clean sheets in the PL

De Gea is 1st with 17. Ederson 2nd with 16 and Courtois is tied with Lloris with 15 clean sheets each.

Sorry, I thought I'd already changed that picture from Tim.

It's just a not so funny joke...

I'd rather be Linda Lusardi! (Spurs supporter) And bloody cute!
thanks for that Hot . A pretty good stat for Hugo to have . I'll look forward to you changing the photo from Tim to LL . ..... no comparison there .

He looks like his old self again. We need to get our spine of the team sorted out over the summer. That will make him more solid and reliable.

I don’t have an issue with the errors made when his sweeping, that’s the risk/reward chance you take with a keeper like Hugo.

It’s the basically handling ones that have cost us this year.

As RD says about I believe it’s partly down to the defence in front of him.