LLoris has to move on.. | Vital Football

LLoris has to move on..

Spursex

Alert Team
Jason Cundy says Tottenham need to get a new keeper

Cundy put the boot into Lloris after his display and has suggested he needs to leave Spurs.

“Lloris has got to move on… He is a weak link. I don’t feel he fills the back four, five, whatever system they are playing, with any confidence,” Cundy told talkSPORT.

“Lloris tonight lets them back into the game. Lloris, I’ve seen it too many times, again this season. Moving on, I think they need an upgrade.”

Many here have voiced the same concerns; let's hope our scouting department are ready for this, as he really blows hot and cold now, he really isn't the player he once was anymore.

Jamie O'Hara, who now thinks he was the greatest player who ever played the game, had this observation:

“If you go away from home, score four goals but still lose the game, it’s ridiculous.

“I love the way Spurs played [to begin with]; they attacked the game and deservedly went 1-0 up. I then went to put the kettle on and came back and we were 3-1 down!

“It was a great game for the neutral but the defending was shocking. Davinson Sanchez scored two goals for us and he was our worst player!

“The Calvert-Lewin goal, Lloris has to save it. He’s hit it hard but it’s straight at him! It’s the old saying, ‘chocolate wrists’. You’ve got to palm them away, they can’t end up in the back of your net.

Lloris couldn’t keep out Calvert-Lewin’s strike which let Everton back into the tie

Lloris has a reputation for his lapses in concentration for Tottenham
“The last [goal], Bernard, it’s a good goal but make yourself big! When he gets in those tight angles, it’s like he makes himself smaller…

“Mourinho will be raging at the defending.”

When he's good, he's great but when he's not on his game (last night) it costs goals and points or in last nights example, a cup run.

I certainly wouldn't put him in the Gomes category where he was a great shot stopper, but as an all-rounder, was below par at crucial moments!

I actually think Gazza deputised admirably when Lloris was out with his dislocated elbow but we all know he wasn't the long-term answer.
I always used to want the lad from Stoke (Buckland) although a few years ago now, so he probably peaked a while ago.

I must admit I have little knowledge of good up-coming keepers that would see us through the next 5-8 years or so, so willing to be advised...?

My heart would miss Lloris, but my head says we need to move on soon, maybe as soon as the summer...

When he's good, he's great but when he's not on his game (last night) it costs goals and points or in last nights example, a cup run.

I certainly wouldn't put him in the Gomes category where he was a great shot stopper, but as an all-rounder, was below par at crucial moments!

I actually think Gazza deputised admirably when Lloris was out with his dislocated elbow but we all know he wasn't the long-term answer.
I always used to want the lad from Stoke (Buckland) although a few years ago now, so he probably peaked a while ago.

I must admit I have little knowledge of good up-coming keepers that would see us through the next 5-8 years or so, so willing to be advised...?

My heart would miss Lloris, but my head says we need to move on soon, maybe as soon as the summer...

I know we tried to get Henderson, but that boat has sailed I think.

We are now blaming one of the best keepers in the world for our misery. Amazing.
The trouble is sjm, he has to take the blame for at least 2 of the goals conceded maybe even 3 of them, ok some defensive errors abound, but soft hands and bad positioning is down to Lloris himself, sorry mate I rate him but he is getting way to inconsistent.

He's right, having said that he's had a good season.

But before this season he seemed he was slowly losing it, I'd put a replacement as a main target in the summer for sure.

Small little details are the difference (and like I said about Ndombele going off and costing us) if we had a better keeper in goal last night we probably win as well.

Yes, Lloris should have done better for two of the goals, but both those chances came from bad errors. First goal from Hojberg's heavy touch on the edge of the box that allowed Everton to get into a shooting position.

Sanchez had two attempts to head clear for before Richarlison smashed home from the edge of the box for their second. Toby played Richarlison onside for their fourth, after Sanchez had stepped up ... that's on them both and their fifth was another awful touch from Harry Winks, again giving the ball away on the edge of our box which allowed Gilfi's cute, dinked ball into the path of Bernard.

There's plenty of blame to go around.

Having said that, maybe it is time we looked for another 'Keeper. I'd keep Hugo, if possible, and let them fight it out for number 1. Overall, Hugo has been great for us for the bones of a decade but his standards have slipped over the past few seasons, even though he's had a very good year so far.

Hugo has a horrible habit of falling backwards and has done since I first saw him. Rather than stand big and attack the ball he comes of his feet but backwards. I dont know what he was doing for that first goal, I hope he was not trying to elaborate the save for dramatic effect.....which keepers do and that infuriates me.

The trouble is sjm, he has to take the blame for at least 2 of the goals conceded maybe even 3 of them, ok some defensive errors abound, but soft hands and bad positioning is down to Lloris himself, sorry mate I rate him but he is getting way to inconsistent.
I only blame him for the first goal. But also there he was unlucky. that was a rocket of a shot. Not sure that a lot of keepers would have kept that out.
However, we came back from that 3:1 to 3:3 (LLoris bailed out) but then carried on with defensiv errors. The first bad error came from Hojbjerg not Lloris. So if you want to blame someone for the domino effect its Pierre. He started it.
Every Keeper is going to let once in a while bad goal in. Doesnt take away all the good contributions he did before. But I do agree that we soon need to look for a new keeper. But Hugo is still one of the best.

Whilst he is prone to iffy moments, his form has been decent imo. Yeah at least two last night he should have saved.... Not sure who we could get better..... Also disappointed Joe didn't start ..tho maybe he is glad he didn't given the shite performances in front of our goal that pretty much gifted every goal

I didn’t see the game and have only just seen the highlights.
I have to say I agree with those that say he should have done better ,
Irrespective of what mistakes were made in front of him , his reactions and positioning were woeful .
Their first , what was he doing , he should have have been able to catch that just by standing still .
The second was just as bad , too late to leave his line . Something Gazza was constantly guilty of .
Their fourth should never have got passed him . Not at that angle .
As Nick has pointed out , his first reaction is to lean backward and bend his knees .

Last edited:
He has become increasingly error prone over the past couple of seasons, but there aren't too many goalkeepers who don't lose a few along the way, look at the Liverpool guy at the weekend. We should be looking for a younger, talented keeper to take over at some point, but one game doesn't make a crisis. Take away the captaincy from him though, certainly on the pitch he offers nothing in that role.

Well if there's any 2 guys that should know about being football failures it's Cundy and O'Hara. Also worth remembering that Cundy hates spurs with a passion and will do anything to stir us up.

As for Hugo, he's fluffed his lines in 2 recent games - that's all. What Allison did last week was so much worse.

It's worth remembering, Jose came in and simplified the role of our keepers after Poch had tried to turn them into Edersen. Hugo's form has been mostly fantastic ever since.

Last time this happened (Liverpool?), Hugo bounced back immediately and was a star performer in the next few games. If you want to see fragility for the rest of the season, then put Hart between the sticks.

Hugo is 34, not 44, and has plenty off mileage left in the tank. He'll be just fine.

Well if there's any 2 guys that should know about being football failures it's Cundy and O'Hara. Also worth remembering that Cundy hates spurs with a passion and will do anything to stir us up.

As for Hugo, he's fluffed his lines in 2 recent games - that's all. What Allison did last week was so much worse.

It's worth remembering, Jose came in and simplified the role of our keepers after Poch had tried to turn them into Edersen. Hugo's form has been mostly fantastic ever since.

Last time this happened (Liverpool?), Hugo bounced back immediately and was a star performer in the next few games. If you want to see fragility for the rest of the season, then put Hart between the sticks.

Hugo is 34, not 44, and has plenty off mileage left in the tank. He'll be just fine.[/QUOTE

With you 100% on this mutters.

think I saw Hugo at no.5 in league for an assorted stat metric in an analysis about why West Ham’s keeper change is key to their form. Believe he’s saved a few more he statistically wouldn’t be expected to than he’s let in that he shouldn’t have in the PL. I’d say he was having a good season overall, but against Everton he was poor. Not helped by what was in front of him, sure, but he should have done more. I remember him making one save?

would love an upgrade but it’s easier said than done I think. Unless we can coax a top keeper who is near contract end replacing him is going to cost a fortune and there’s other areas more urgent to address.