Liverpool | Page 11 | Vital Football

Liverpool

Much better second half but, like I knew before the game, if we'd have put our chances away we would have been more in it.

Hanley and stiepermann need to be out next game (if Klose is fit)

We're going to be OK especially if we can take more chances.

One thing they need to practice is first time shots not walking it in - a couple of times there a first time hit may have done damage.

Hard to take positives from 4-1 but don’t play cantwell when there is better on the bench
Hanley should be nowhere near the first team and oh for our dm
Good signs in the second half

We're going to be OK especially if we can take more chances.

One thing they need to practice is first time shots not walking it in - a couple of times there a first time hit may have done damage.
Agreed buendia and pukki a couple of times should have hit it first time....stiepermann needs to remember he is playing football and not rugby with his shooting. The defending needs sorting. Hanley and Godfrey were all over the shop.

Hard to take positives from 4-1 but don’t play cantwell when there is better on the bench
Hanley should be nowhere near the first team and oh for our dm
Good signs in the second half
I thought Cantwell played well. Stiepermann shouldn't have started. Hanley is just not good enough...can we loan anyone in.....please? When is Klose back? Trybull coukd be out. Hernandez looked bright but ball control is lacking at times

DF will get it right
Stiepermann missed a golden chance with that second effort and as we saw from pre season we have got to be more clinical
Well done Teemu off the mark another 19 will do

I thought cantwell did well too. I said before the game steipy wouldn't be my choice versus lpool, lacks pace, Leitner looked v good with his touch, range of passing and general better vision. Steipy is good but id use this season sparingly in so called easier home games. Amadou may well be our DCM next week if trybull out. This was my worry with our lack of spending, depth of the squad, already being tested!

Liverpool will roll teams even more than the 4-1 we just saw, they tonked Barca 4-0 last season so at 4-1 were a smidge better than tbe mighty Catalans!! :wahey:

Fellas I usually try to be optimistic, but I fear a bit of a thumping here. Generally I think we will do well in the PL, but for this one? Not for me, I fear we will concede 4/5 goals...especially now Klose is out. No shame in that, they are European champions, one of the best attacks in the world...

Do fancy us to score one, maybe two though.

As expected tonight, albeit we actually caused them more issues than I expected, we probably should have scored 2/3. Hanley had a bad one, but best to have that away at Liverpool where we weren’t going to pickup any points, hopefully Klose is back for next weekend.

Impressed by Cantwell, Pukki, Buendia and Godfrey tonight. Oh Krul also played well.

Aarons/Lewis had a bit of a learning curve, but hey they were playing against salah!

Leitner for me must start alongside trybull next week. And I’d be tempted to move Cantwell to CAM and Onel or Roberts wide as thought Stiepermann was our worst player

Whilst I know that we were invariably going to lose this match, I still cant help feeling that yet again in the first match of a new season we have had a bad misfortune this time with an own goal. Palace was a denied perfectly good scissor kick. Those misfortunes change the progress of the game. We'll never know now what might have transpired had Liverpool not been gifted a safety net that allowed them to relax a bit and move forward. Probably still a loss, but what if?
Must say I feel flat even though we played some really good stuff and will cut other teams to shreds and I feel we'll be alright, because we did cut Liverpool apart at times. But another misfortune knocks us.
Now I await next season, wherever it will be, and fervently hope that we have the first game as home game, and not against any of the biggest clubs, and not having any misfortune in the 90 mins. How nice it will be to start 1920/21 with 3 points instead of the favouritism to the top clubs to give them easy starts. Would they ever play Man C v Liverpool as Game 1 - in yer dreams!!

If Mario is good enough for the bench then he should play. At least we won the second half. Don't lose faith. The pool beat West Ham first game last season and they stayed up.

Had we played Brighton away instead of Liverpool as our opening game, with our injuries and defensive frailties, we most probably would not have won. Indeed, we may well have lost against one of the teams we would need to beat if we are to survive.

Just imagine our feelings if we were looking at a 2-0 loss against a lower placed team to start off our campaign.

I say, bring on the top teams early especially away. We are likely to lose anyway and our players will have honed their skills against some of the best players in the world.

Then when we play the fellow minnows, we will win and live to fight another season.