Liverpool v Real Madrid | Page 2 | Vital Football

Liverpool v Real Madrid

He's sliding in and the only way the ball is going is where it ended up. Bit subjective I suppose but that is a deliberate play to stop the other Madrid player to me. It looked offside up to the many replays so as Jules says get rid of VAR and just leave it to the ref and assistant
It's a deliberate attempt to tackle, yes, but the touch off Fabinho was, as above, a result of Konate kicking the ball on to him and that's why he's offside.

What a lovely bright summers morning to wake up to …. where’s that quadruple gone, same place as that treble I expect?

The lack of VAR robbed Wrexham of 2 stonewall pens, and a perfectly good goal being disallowed. Sooner or later it’ll be introduced into the EFL, hopefully the former.

Wrecsam have had the better of refs decisions all season , so maybe abd I repeat maybe they didn't in the final . I thought their penalty wasn't and the 3rd oal was defo hand ball. Some you get some you don't The collision with the keeper and the player was a coming together . It's all how each person sees each situation

It does make a difference, that's literally the law of the game.

He went in for the tackle, but Konate hit the ball off Fabinho. Had Fabinho made the tackle and it went through to Benzema then it would have been a goal.

If Konate "hit the ball off Fabinho" then it was Konate who played the ball, so it wasn't offside, was it?

Unlucky for Liverpool, Courtiois was immense. Still, they’re the best team in England.
The league table would suggest otherwise but if it comforts Liverpool fans, massages their hurty feelings and helps them feel better, they can think that all Summer (when they eventually make it back from Paris) safe in the knowledge they will storm to the title next season.

Perhaps if they lose Mane and Man City integrate Haaland successfully, who knows Man City might still make it 5 out of 6 titles though.

If Konate "hit the ball off Fabinho" then it was Konate who played the ball, so it wasn't offside, was it?
It was all a bit of a mess and I do understand why it took some working out. However the way I saw it, if you throw Allison into the mix the last 3 touches came of Liverpool players before it reached the blackmailer so I'm also struggling to see how it was offside.

I get it if there was one accidental deflection, but three! I'm not having that. Have we got any qualified refs on here that have watched it in forensic slow mo. that can put this to bed?

EDIT - Does the third (and accidental) deflection off Fabinho negate the two previous Liverpool intentional plays of the ball?

Last edited:
Unlucky for Liverpool, Courtiois was immense. Still, they’re the best team in England.
Why were they unlucky? The ‘best’ strikeforce in England failed to net in 3 Finals = 330 mins yet ended up with 2 trophies, so that makes them exceedingly fortunate.

They’re clearly not the best team in England, they’ve won the title once in 7 seasons under Klopp, and even that one doesn’t really count due to Covid that nobody saw …. so have another wild guess?

Why were they unlucky? The ‘best’ strikeforce in England failed to net in 3 Finals = 330 mins yet ended up with 2 trophies, so that makes them exceedingly fortunate.

They’re clearly not the best team in England, they’ve won the title once in 7 seasons under Klopp, and even that one doesn’t really count due to Covid that nobody saw …. so have another wild guess?

‘I think we’re gonna need another boat’

Why were they unlucky?

Yes, I don't understand that either. Even allowing for a little trolling, it's been mentioned often enough by the media. Courtois had a good game, he was commanding, but he's known to be one of the best in the world. He made one fantastic save from Mané and two very good ones from Salah but apart from that he wasn't flying around his goal, despite the recorded number of attempts Liverpool had.

After the first 25 minutes the game itself was very even and Real Madrid carried an equal, if not greater, threat, botching several chances to seal the game in the last 20 minutes - and should I mention the disallowed goal again? Now that really was unlucky.

Unlucky? Liverpool had a rather fortunate route to the final: Benfica, Inter and Villarreal. They were a little fortunate themselves to hang on against Villarreal and were on the ropes until their keeper decided to keep throwing the ball in his own net. Seems like luck only comes into it if the other team's keeper does his job.

They have a very good side. I would have said in January that they and Man City had the best two teams in Europe, but I do wonder if Liverpool has now reached the end of a cycle? Klopp really hasn't won as much as Liverpool's play has suggested it would.- and that Champions League triumph was against Spurs so that's proof of nothing.

Liverpool Quadruple :lol:

As for the best team in England clearly not the League table doesn't lie. Manchester City are the best team in England this season because the League title proves it, end of!!

Just because the media have some sort of Liverpool love in doesn't alter the facts. The history books don't remember Ooo we had a great season. They remember titles. Liverpool will go down as FA and League Cup double winners. But the two big prizes slipped through their fingers. But Manchester City are the Champions and if they can keep on winning the title this era will ultimately be remembered as Manchester City's not ooo Liverpool had a great team!

Stay classy Brendan.

The reaction of other team's fans to families and perfectly innocent people getting teargassed is abysmal but I guess shouldn't be massively surprising. Even when a load of journos are stuck outside reporting on it! Just more churning out the always the victim stuff from very unfunny social media accounts - wish football fans had a bit more solidarity as they are very much not the first set of fans to face heavy handed treatment and botched organisation in Europe (or England).

In terms of the game, Madrid defended really well and it wasn't a ridiculous collapse Man City style but more a pretty excellent controlled, final performance by Real. Liverpool had loads of shots but not really clear cut chances. Salah one on one was the one that I think had to go in.

Thought last 20 minutes they were going to turn the screw a bit more but always at arm's length. Probably less convinced Liverpool are at the end of their cycle though after another 90+ point season, and how unbelievably good Diaz looks as a replacement for some of the outgoing forwards. Business is still generally hits rather than misses.

Liverpool Quadruple :lol:

As for the best team in England clearly not the League table doesn't lie. Manchester City are the best team in England this season because the League title proves it, end of!!

Just because the media have some sort of Liverpool love in doesn't alter the facts. The history books don't remember Ooo we had a great season. They remember titles. Liverpool will go down as FA and League Cup double winners. But the two big prizes slipped through their fingers. But Manchester City are the Champions and if they can keep on winning the title this era will ultimately be remembered as Manchester City's not ooo Liverpool had a great team!

I mean maybe in England, but it might be that City are remembered for constantly bottling the Champions League and the Liverpool team for a relative lack of Premier League success, despite both being excellent teams.

The reaction of other team's fans to families and perfectly innocent people getting teargassed is abysmal but I guess shouldn't be massively surprising. Even when a load of journos are stuck outside reporting on it! Just more churning out the always the victim stuff from very unfunny social media accounts - wish football fans had a bit more solidarity as they are very much not the first set of fans to face heavy handed treatment and botched organisation in Europe (or England).

In terms of the game, Madrid defended really well and it wasn't a ridiculous collapse Man City style but more a pretty excellent controlled, final performance by Real. Liverpool had loads of shots but not really clear cut chances. Salah one on one was the one that I think had to go in.

Thought last 20 minutes they were going to turn the screw a bit more but always at arm's length. Probably less convinced Liverpool are at the end of their cycle though after another 90+ point season, and how unbelievably good Diaz looks as a replacement for some of the outgoing forwards. Business is still generally hits rather than misses.

Usual divide and rule bullshit isn’t it? As if people from places like Manchester and Liverpool aren’t suffering the same problems generally, and in this particular case it’s not as if Man City fans would have been treated any differently.

I get the impression real fans from those cities understand that, it’s just the social media try hards attempting to perpetuate some kind grievance to make their support look more ‘authentic’.