Liverpool v Aston Villa Match Thread - Sat 10 April @ 3pm - Sky | Page 34 | Vital Football

Liverpool v Aston Villa Match Thread - Sat 10 April @ 3pm - Sky

And we shut the training complex, couldn't do full training and then played two games a week before losing our best player and going into our hardest run of games.

Just trying to figure out why people are happy to discount this glaring and confirmable fact but then reach for conjecture and conspiracy. I know we're all bored and want to go to the pub but...

It cant be a coincidence. Our performances since we restarted have been mostly poor apart from the first half at Burnley and even super jack was struggling before his injury. He must have mis controlled more passes than he had in the last 5 years.
In fairness he never had Covid he was carrying that injury hence him not getting involved like normal the Brighton game was when it finally became too much for him, that was his worst game ver he couldn't trap a simple pass

And we shut the training complex, couldn't do full training and then played two games a week before losing our best player and going into our hardest run of games.

Just trying to figure out why people are happy to discount this glaring and confirmable fact but then reach for conjecture and conspiracy. I know we're all bored and want to go to the pub but...

Similarly, how can anyone disregard the glaring fact that we look clueless and cannot string a few passes together without Jack in the team. Got any research to prove covid affects the ability to string a few passes together?

Tiredness affects motor skills. Even for the players who didn't have it, a team with key players not at the races loses its rhythm. We're misplacing passes we were doing as no-look backheel volleys at the start of the season.

The quality of football is the same as when Jack was absent in the championship. I can understand tiredness being the most obvious impact of covid but not being able to play simple passes no way ! Frankly none of our players look tired.

it looked if trezzer, got a good kicking from trent, did anyone see it, i still think they were there for the taking, lack of tactics, deano seemed pleased with the result ,like a good day at the office, after all it was a good team we were playing, seanie

He would throw him into a freezing cold shower after the match and then have him up at 5:00 the next morning and running up and down the Lickey Hills all day.
Bet that would have him performing at his best. I'll give the lads down the sport science labs at Loughborough Uni a call.

Similarly, how can anyone disregard the glaring fact that we look clueless and cannot string a few passes together without Jack in the team. Got any research to prove covid affects the ability to string a few passes together?

Have you had covid or ever heard of mental fatigue ?

I don't think anyone is discounting it, and certainly the performances in the aftermath of the return could be forgiven as understandably lethargic. But we weren't the only club to have an outbreak/lockdown and it doesn't explain why we are conceding late goals, not connecting simple passes, and look disjointed. It also can't explain why players go away to their national teams and perform at a very high level (McGinn/Traore) and yet just don't perform at the same level in a Villa shirt.... It also doesn't explain why Ross Barkley looked very good in his first half-dozen matches for us and has looked like a lazy, uninterested prima-donna since his return from injury....

Have you had covid or ever heard of mental fatigue ?

I had it last October and though it wasn't as bad as some have experienced I was definitely run down and easier to tire for a good few weeks afterwards. My job is fairly physical and my performance definitely wasn't up to scratch for a month or 2 afterwards.

Obviously I can't say what the lads have been going but those that did have covid won't have been hitting the ground running based on what I've seen from myself and those around me who've had it.

I don't think anyone is discounting it, and certainly the performances in the aftermath of the return could be forgiven as understandably lethargic. But we weren't the only club to have an outbreak/lockdown and it doesn't explain why we are conceding late goals, not connecting simple passes, and look disjointed. It also can't explain why players go away to their national teams and perform at a very high level (McGinn/Traore) and yet just don't perform at the same level in a Villa shirt.... It also doesn't explain why Ross Barkley looked very good in his first half-dozen matches for us and has looked like a lazy, uninterested prima-donna since his return from injury....
Perform at a high level against which opposition?

I think for the rest of what you mention it actually does go a long way to explaining it. When you're tired you make more mistakes - that's not a remotely controversial statement.

We the only team in the league tired then? Only ones who may or may not have had covid (we never got the list of which players, think Elmo (?) said he'd had it but he's hardly played).

Mental fatigue and/or physical fatigue should be similar for most teams I would have thought, they've all played a similar amount of matches. Some might have rotated their squads more, but that is down to the managers choices.

I had it last October and though it wasn't as bad as some have experienced I was definitely run down and easier to tire for a good few weeks afterwards. My job is fairly physical and my performance definitely wasn't up to scratch for a month or 2 afterwards.

Obviously I can't say what the lads have been going but those that did have covid won't have been hitting the ground running based on what I've seen from myself and those around me who've had it.
Ditto. I had it about the same time. Add the fact that the others did limited training for two weeks and elite athletes would find it difficult to come back to the level they were at. Even harder when we played 6 games in 18 days

I think Dean is quite capable of making his own excuses and Covid hasn't been one of them so why fans feel the need to make excuse for him and the players I don't know.
It might just be that we've hit the wall with our underutilised squad, Image if we'd had to play another 15 games in Europe on top we'd be bottom 3 now