Liverpool Echo interview with Clive | Vital Football

Liverpool Echo interview with Clive

It would appear from that article that it was indeed Clive that found Bob rather than Bob finding Clive. I was under the impression it was a master stroke from our then chairman but appears Bob got very lucky. Either way, I feel much easier with Clive holding the reins, though I do respect Bob for putting up the money when the club was in the brown sticky stuff.

It would appear from that article that it was indeed Clive that found Bob rather than Bob finding Clive. I was under the impression it was a master stroke from our then chairman but appears Bob got very lucky. Either way, I feel much easier with Clive holding the reins, though I do respect Bob for putting up the money when the club was in the brown sticky stuff.
Bob didn't get very lucky in that sense. He describes the process in Six Years In Purgatory: he was approached by a number of potential investors at various times but he had to make absolutely sure they were the right investor. Many of them were asset strippers trying to buy the club for a pound for the wrong reasons. Would you rather Bob had sold to one of those? I should add that Bob was proactive as well as reactive during that time, but the number of viable options was virtually nil.

So Bob did not get very lucky. He chose to bide his time until the right investor came along, which was a stance that cost him a lot of money in the interim. I would call that a master stroke.

Bob didn't get very lucky in that sense. He describes the process in Six Years In Purgatory: he was approached by a number of potential investors at various times but he had to make absolutely sure they were the right investor. Many of them were asset strippers trying to buy the club for a pound for the wrong reasons. Would you rather Bob had sold to one of those? I should add that Bob was proactive as well as reactive during that time, but the number of viable options was virtually nil.

So Bob did not get very lucky. He chose to bide his time until the right investor came along, which was a stance that cost him a lot of money in the interim. I would call that a master stroke.
I would call it very lucky that one came along!

In the same way a lottery winner has enough optimism to buy a ticket or a treasure trove finder is hopeful enough to trawl over a bare field, Bob Dorian had enough hope and enthusiasm for Lincoln City to keep the club going until he “got very lucky”. It’s a good job he did.