Liverpool. Beatable. | Vital Football

Liverpool. Beatable.

CuckFan

Vital Squad Member
Travelled a lot this midweek, with a tough midweek game that had a lot of time added on.

With a weak defence.

Some discipline, with a few chances created and a couple converted, and we can win this.

We can win this and that will be the message that Rafa will have got out at the training ground this week.

However, there needs to be a massive improvement in our forward play with the success rate of chance conversion needing to be increased by at least 50%.

Heart says 3-2 NUFC, Head says 4-1 defeat.

Heart would love a victory and some balls points raised previously.. head thinks Liverpool's speed and movement will see us off . Away win for me (but not a spanking )

Heart would love a victory and some balls points raised previously.. head thinks Liverpool's speed and movement will see us off . Away win for me (but not a spanking )

I don't think it will be a free-scoring game, as our backline now has some discipline - after literally decades of going without.

Agree, we need to be able to put the ball in the back of the net more often with what we create, by our forwards.

A tight game I would think, with it being 1-1 with either of the clubs clinching the match if they can grab that vital 2nd goal. 2-1 to one club, but which?

Liverpool seriously need to look at their back as much as we need to address our forward issues. Everybody has stated that. But their midfield and attack are creative, quick and they will score. I expect Rafa to set us up strongly to defend and move to counter attack swiftly. Seems to do for Liverpool quite a lot this season.

I've just been looking. Liverpool had 35 on goal attempts against Burnley. They had 16 on Sparta's goal on Tuesday. Couldn't find the number of attempts against Leicester but they scored 3. I reckon we'll be under seige for virtually the whole game. The defence must maintain its composure and we must keep everyone on the pitch.

Here's a question: will Rafa start with Shelvey?

Initially thought it was at their gaff, but saw it's at home; I think tiredness will affect their game - and so think we're in with a chance of the three points.

Agree - our defensive discipline might be the deciding factor.

Liverpool are very vulnerable to the counter and set plays. Their centre halves can both be bullied out the game, I don't rate Mitrovic but I'd be tempted to give him a game.

keggy_keagal - 29/9/2017 15:38

Liverpool are very vulnerable to the counter and set plays. Their centre halves can both be bullied out the game, I don't rate Mitrovic but I'd be tempted to give him a game.

Just saying similiar to me brother Keggy, if we're still in it with 30 mins to go he could be the man for the occasion, but he won't start with the loon for good reason. We need to take chances and Joselu is plainly not the answer. One thing I will say is that if memory serves me right a lot of our famous victories have been the late Sunday game, when St James' is at it's drunken jumping best. I think we've a chance.

I remember a few tonkings we've had as well with some on a Sunday surely. One was when Steve Nichol got 4 or Liverpool did but we could have conceded 8.

Toon_NoMatterWot - 29/9/2017 20:26

I remember a few tonkings we've had as well with some on a Sunday surely. One was when Steve Nichol got 4 or Liverpool did but we could have conceded 8.

I was thinking of later years really, 5:30pm Saturday I like as well for atmosphere, I remember that game you're talking about though, Kenny Wharton was out of his depth, got skinned at will.

Paul Kannell - 29/9/2017 21:09

I was thinking of later years really, 5:30pm Saturday I like as well for atmosphere, I remember that game you're talking about though, Kenny Wharton was out of his depth, got skinned at will.

Aye, later years have done us ok. People being off all day from work with the drink having plenty of time to sink in. Leeds last year was an example of how that goes although that result was a bit of a freak.

On paper this is a very dangerous game but we underestimate what Rafa has done with the set up here. Anything can happen.

Think Nicol got a hat trick but they got four. Must have been around the Mirandinha time, pretty sure I had my half NUFC / half Brazil hat on :17:

1-4 it was, Spotty Mac got a pen for us, I prefer remembering the good times, The Andy Cole hat-trick when 11 Englishman gave Liverpool a footballing lesson. Can't bear to see those 4-3's I was at both of them and that was painful enough.

https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/newcastle-v-liverpool-reliving-5-classic-premier-league-matches

Changed my mind having seen that lineup, no Mbemba, Shelvey replaces Hayden and Mitrovic not on the bench, fuck, we could get torn a new one here.