Liverpool 4 City 3 - Stats Link & Post Match Reaction & Debate | Page 2 | Vital Football

Liverpool 4 City 3 - Stats Link & Post Match Reaction & Debate

Skoorb - 14/1/2018 08:00

Knee ligament damage seems to be the MCFC ‘injury of choice’ this season. More medial ligaments - 6-8 weeks minimum potentially. Danilo will get some game time

Gutted, but it's next man up!

As my old Dad used to say. “ doesn’t do you any harm to get a kick up the arse now and then “

If Stones had gone down, free kick, in most games , but the referee was a homer, and once again Liverpool upped their game, credit to Liverpool for harrowing and pressuring City into making silly mistakes which cost us, but can they do that every week?

It is being suggested in many papers that this is the start of City's downfall, but not many teams in my opinion can bring the game to us and win and we nearly got back as Liverpool took their foot off the gas and that was nearly fatal as Liverpool parked the bus and we unpicked them but then ran out of time.

I am still seething over Milner's deliberate attempt to injure Aguero, the extended highlights do not show it, but it got a yellow, Milner's thinking you take out Aguero and City have no striker left with Sanchez going to United.

For the first time City get a full 5 days break for the first time since 21st November when they started 15 game run in 49 days 13 wins 1 Draw 2 losses (first in the premier this season and the dead rubber in the Champions League) a game virtually every 3 days,

Whilst saying Sanchez is no longer of interest to us, that has two effect imo. 1. It boosts the rivals thinking that they get one over City and 2. it still leaves City with only one effective striker and as Milner demonstrated take out Aguero and City have none.

I think the Sanchez to the rags thing is a media rev up sparked by our friend at the OT.
Milner can be a dirty prick and has had it in for us for no good reason that I can see since he went to Liverpool.
The five days will be welcomed by Pep and allow him to get some answers re the defence.

Crystal Palace took it up to us as well and we were found wanting.
Don’t think we need to panic though.
It will be sorted.

If Stones did that to Firmino in the area and he goes over you can bet that Marriner would award a penalty.

It will be time to hunker down and put on the Tin Hats as the media will drool over this result and need to regularly change their underwear as they big up Liverpool (fair play, they raised their game and forced our mistakes - but doubt they will deliver that level of performance every game) and predict that this isn’t where “Pep gets found out” and “City will crumble”.

Apparently the Times have issued a souvenir edition of their sports pull out pages to mark the event - “City lose a football match”. FFS. Taking the piss or what?

Couple this with the expectation of Sanchez falling for Maureen’s honeyed words dripped into his ear and taking the higher wages and we can expect the hacks to blow wind into the rag sails.

This is the time when real resilience is needed - buckle up people, after all the nice words the fickle hacks have written get ready for them flipping and turning th screw.

Milner is a dirty twat who should have seen red for his waste high reckless hack at Agüero but Marriner was never going to send off a Liverpool player in front of the Kop. Coward

Having had time to settle down a bit, Sanchez to the rags may just be a blessing, another increase in their already hefty 'Wage Bill' and a moody yet brilliant player to boot, is all you need in the dressing room and a guaranteed start with no substitutions, This could be good news in the long term.

My new worry is that we do not appear to have a plan A, should we lose Aguero to ott challenges.

Your concerns about our vulnerability until Jesus returns are merited but I don’t think we will get anyone in this window. We would only get gouged on fees which I should exactly why we have walked away from Sanchez. BTW it would be nice to get some credit for doing so but I guess that won’t fit the “Massive Rag Coup” narrative.........

One of the appeals of Sanchez was he was available for the CL - another reason why we won’t get anyone this window. No one of the requisite quality who fits that bill would be available elsewhere.

I think Maureen has gotten word to Sanchez that he will be guaranteed a start so that plus the money will tip his hand. Maureen IMO will go all out now to win the CL to rescue a season which has gone off the rails as far as the league is concerned. That would satisfy the board and the fans and Maureen’s ego and paper over the cracks over his sterile style of football. For all the rag fans banging on about “playing the Manchester U*d way” all they every fecking care about is winning at all costs and pointing to their trophies.

Yes I thought about the money aspect and the unwillingness to be blackmailed into paying more, which is just what the Stretford mob will have to do and who drops out to make way down at Old toilet.

Sanchez is quality but not at any price and January is notorious for trying to get quality, because the quality ones are still wanted by their Clubs.

Johnny Baguette - 14/1/2018 19:37

Stonesy doesnt appeal after getting outmuscled thats what struck me. Ref aside we’ve failed at the back today but it could be the right time to get it out of our system.
We have a week off now. The big question I am asking tonight is should we recruit? My view is yes. More options, more cover to seal success.

Fab left Candlefield on crutches and leg brace.

Stones threw his hands aloft in exasperation when the goal was scored, Walker also appealed as it happened.

Bluedub - 15/1/2018 10:09

Stonesy doesnt appeal after getting outmuscled thats what struck me. Ref aside we’ve failed at the back today but it could be the right time to get it out of our system.
We have a week off now. The big question I am asking tonight is should we recruit? My view is yes. More options, more cover to seal success.

Stones threw his hands aloft in exasperation when the goal was scored, Walker also appealed as it happened.

I think Stones's reaction was more of a "How the **** can that not be a foul"? He does that to Firmino and the guy goes over it would have been given as a penalty. Marriner ignored all the nudges and shoves from Liverpool all over the park yesterday.

This article provides decent perspective - something that will probably be lacking from pretty much any domestic sports media right now. Shame it has to be from abroad. Abu Dhabi in fact.

https://www.thenational.ae/sport/football/pep-guardiola-s-man-city-may-not-be-invincible-but-they-may-well-be-inimitable-1.695528

This is an example of the sort of domestic garbage that gets vomited up - Talkspurt and Joey Barton. A marriage made in hell :068:

https://talksport.com/football/mourinho-was-slaughtered-got-point-am-i-going-mad-joey-barton-hits-out-praise-man-city

The answer Joey is that one manager tried to win the game and one had no intention of trying to do so unless he got lucky.

Skoorb - 15/1/2018 10:15

This article provides decent perspective - something that will probably be lacking from pretty much any domestic sports media right now. Shame it has to be from abroad. Abu Dhabi in fact.

https://www.thenational.ae/sport/football/pep-guardiola-s-man-city-may-not-be-invincible-but-they-may-well-be-inimitable-1.695528

This is an example of the sort of domestic garbage that gets vomited up - Talkspurt and Joey Barton. A marriage made in hell :068:

https://talksport.com/football/mourinho-was-slaughtered-got-point-am-i-going-mad-joey-barton-hits-out-praise-man-city

The answer Joey is that one manager tried to win the game and one had no intention of trying to do so unless he got lucky.

Good read, a far cry from the MEN's James Robson who reckoned Liverpool dominated the game.

The stats at the bottom of that article make for interesting reading, we stood up to the physical nature of that game, just ten minutes of sloppy madness, that aside it was an evenly contested game and the 1 goal margin was just about the right result in the end.

They dominated some individuals especially De Bruyne whom they worked overdrive to shut down - overloading him (& Ox-C shoving him in the back) enabled them to recover the ball before the second goal. The key stat for me is the number of interceptions - 20 for Liverpool which illustrates just how hard they were working.

I know we are great at working the ball in tight spaces and taking risks but I think Otamendi was given a hospital pass by Gundogan in the build up to the Mane strike. Not sure David Silva would have done that - I would have fancied him to retain the ball and turn away from his marker but that's far into the realm of "what if?" and perhaps a pointless speculation. Gundogan did not impose himself on the game I don't think and seemed to go missing for a large part of the second half.

It was a mad ten minutes.

Skoorb - 15/1/2018 10:14

Bluedub - 15/1/2018 10:09

I think Stones's reaction was more of a "How the **** can that not be a foul"? He does that to Firmino and the guy goes over it would have been given as a penalty. Marriner ignored all the nudges and shoves from Liverpool all over the park yesterday.

Imagine Aguero doing it to Lovren, what outcome would you expect?

My General observations over the course of this season,

1. Fernandinho even though pep rates him high, for me he always lose possession in dangerous situations. His weakness exposed clearly in the WC LOSS against Germany and he could very well do that in our crucial fixtures this season. He should realize that he is not XAVI. He should stop spraying wrong passes to opponents. Occasional energetic runs did not atone for basic lapses.we need a strong cover in that area for our long term success.
2.Sterling needs to improve his touch in the penalty areas. He could have scored much more this season had he controlled his touches in the box. Yesterday he had the best opportunity to score in the box but his touch was poor .
3.Then our legend Augero, who need to show up in the big matches against top 6 and tough opponents .He needs to trouble things in the opponent half but yesterday he was nullified by meager liverpool defense. Manager would be happy to sell him if his performance goes down like this in crucial games.

I expressed the thought elsewhere that Stones shouldv'e been stronger for Firmino's goal, but I'm leaning to the argument he was fouled.
For those who have made the claim that if it was the other way round, and that Marriner would've awarded a penalty, I would say that that's already happened there at Anfield recently - I present as my evidence Everton's penalty in the league derby.
The referee then was Pawson.

I saw Liverpool's version of Tunnel Cam on YouTube yesterday.
It shows Firmino's goal from behind the Kop end, and, to me, it adds to the claims that Stones was given a fair push in the back by a forearm, and fouled.

Stones on the Firminio push

“If I go down, maybe it’s a free kick. I tried to be honest and stay on my feet and the referee’s not given a free kick."

Had a look at that tunnel cam CITK and yep even more clear from that angle which wouldn't be far off the angle the ref had

Go to 8.15
[youtube=/IKHRHKM_IOU]

neverstops - 15/1/2018 14:23

My General observations over the course of this season,

1. Fernandinho even though pep rates him high, for me he always lose possession in dangerous situations. His weakness exposed clearly in the WC LOSS against Germany and he could very well do that in our crucial fixtures this season. He should realize that he is not XAVI. He should stop spraying wrong passes to opponents. Occasional energetic runs did not atone for basic lapses.we need a strong cover in that area for our long term success.
2.Sterling needs to improve his touch in the penalty areas. He could have scored much more this season had he controlled his touches in the box. Yesterday he had the best opportunity to score in the box but his touch was poor .
3.Then our legend Augero, who need to show up in the big matches against top 6 and tough opponents .He needs to trouble things in the opponent half but yesterday he was nullified by meager liverpool defense. Manager would be happy to sell him if his performance goes down like this in crucial games.
I don't agree with any of this, we lose one game and the nay sayers emerge.