Liverpool 3 City 0 - Stats Link & Post Match Reaction & Debate Thread | Vital Football

Liverpool 3 City 0 - Stats Link & Post Match Reaction & Debate Thread

Johnny Baguette

Alert Team
Front Page Stats Coming Tomorrow after site upgrade.

Full Time Stat Attack:
Liverpool 3 City 0
Possession: 34% v 66%
Shots: 9 v 11
On Target: 5 v 0
Corners: 0 v 8
Offsides: 3 v 4
Fouls: 6 v 9
Bookings: 1 v 4

<b>The Ped into Europe Report by Pedmachine to follow</b>

Wigan, Wolves, Palace and now Liverpool are the only sides to prevent Manchester City from scoring this season.

The time Manchester City have failed to have a shot on target since our reserves in October 2016 - against the rags in the League Cup.

Henderson to miss second leg through booking. Salah possibly out injured.

The Bus.jpg

I don’t think this tie is over. This tournament is renowned for it. Henderson out suspended, Salah injured. If we score early with Kun Aguero back, Liverpool tend to collapse under pressure. Tonight we were second best in every department and I am taking nothing away from Klopp who managed the game brilliantly. In the meantime....Pep made one substitution. Was that in readiness for the Stretford Galacticos? Pep and City owe us one after that. I would field the same side on Saturday and say put that right.

Jordan Henderson: "We knew the atmosphere would be brilliant and it was, and we made the most of that. Second half they came at us more, we dropped deep at times.
"Our game is about working together as a team and we did that brilliantly. We all chipped in with the hard yards. It's only the first leg. I didn't make many fouls in the game so it's disappointing to miss out next week."

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain: "It was a great start for us to go three up before half time, it set us up perfectly. The crowd, the atmosphere was unbelievable and that's why we started like we did.

"It was a good strike, it opened up for me and I have been working on that."

A twat leads the way in playing down the bus attack...

'A minority of fans causing trouble'
Liverpool 3-0 Man City
8557841a-b29b-4236-9d24-e82a9b116cf1.jpg

Robbie Savage
Ex-Leicester City & Wales midfielder on BBC Radio 5 live

It is always a minority of fans causing trouble, as it was tonight.

Barring flares, the Liverpool fans were impeccable, the atmosphere was amazing, the City fans too who tried to sing until the end.

There is always a minority of idiots as there was outside before the game

I don't think we'll qualify from here. I mean, it's a possibility, but the chances are not favourable.

Pep has to take this one on the chin. He got it wrong in the team selection.

However, it would seem to me that most of our team had forgotten that you do, actually, have to play to the best of your ability if you want to win major honours.

I'm generally an optimist, but I'm not seeing a way back from this. We folded under the pressure, and it's hard to overcome that. The media can try to excuse Dipper fans, but that was much more than a few. 2nd tier club, fifth tier supporters.

I am absolutely gob-smacked at this result - and this performance. A lot of questions need to be asked. Most of them to the linesman, it has to be said.

Jurgen Klopp speaking to BT Sport: "The result is not what we expected but we needed to play more football in the second half. They did not have a lot of chances but we didn't play much football ourselves. It is only half-time. 3-0 up, good.
"First half was brilliant. It was how football should look. We knew about the quality of City but also about our quality as well. If we could control the game better against a team like Man City and not give the ball away we would be closer to them in the league.

"We defended the passes really good. But I wanted us to play more football. But I am not angry it is all good.

"We lose one player to injury (Mo Salah) and another - the captain (Jordan Henderson) - to a yellow card so it does not feel good. Mo said he feels good but we will have to see about that.

"If we want to see games like this them the Premier League have to think about the fixtures. It should be something good (the game against Everton) and not cause problems. We have to find players now for what a lot of people say is the biggest game of the season. I do not feel good about this right now. If I don't play my best XI against Everton then we know what happens."

Pep Guardiola: "We showed up from the begining, we started with enormous personality but they scored a goal. We continued to play but they scored two more goals. It is tough. They had 10-15 minutes in the first half when they were better.
"In the second half we tried everything but we couldn't find a goal. The first two goals, we had control of the game but they scored. I don't have too many regrets or complaints. Nobody believes but we have another game.

"They had two attacks and scored two goals. That was tough but for the rest of the game we were so, so good. We had to score a goal but they defended more.

"We have to accept it and now we have United at home and then Liverpool at home. We see what happens. Of couse it is difficult but we believe."

Quite frankly that is as disgraceful as the behaviour of the morons that caused the damage and were setting off flares.

Under the Fireworks Regulation Act 2004 "it is illegal for a person over 18 years to let off the firework, flare or smoke bomb in a public place" and yet as far as we could see from the pictures shown last night Merseyside Police did feck all to prevent these incidents or take any action to deal with those blatantly breaking the law.

This situation was advertised a week ago and yet they took NO steps to ensure that the bus took a more direct route to the ground rather than having to negotiate a 90 degree turn? They could and should have required the bus to travel down the main road that it clearly turns onto and thus avoid it having to slow down.......and present an easier target. Their faliuer to do so makes them complicit & negligent in my view and I would seriously consider action by the club against Merseyside police in this regard. They failed in a basic planning requirement for a public order situation and should be accountable.

We have given ourselves a mountain to climb for sure. Klopp can afford now to play a more measured defensive approach as they adopted in the second half - we pressed but barely laid a glove on them.

The homer assistant referee helped them no end with 3 poor 'offside' decisions against City players.

The BT Sport narrative was clear from the outset which was not unexpected and it was only in the second half that they seemed to regain some composure and realise that they ought to be more balanced. 'Atmosphere' was the most over used word of the night.

A couple of early goals next week and we could induce squeaky bum time but we have got to be more composed. It is doable but it is a tough ask.