Live concerts/gigs | Page 6 | Vital Football

Live concerts/gigs

Here’s a good one - best band you inadvertently saw (e.g. were supporting the band you went to see).

I saw Grandaddy supporting Super Furry Animals at Sheffield Octagon in the late 90’s, they were excellent.

Oooh, interesting one. I honestly don't tend to remember the support. Do they still do that? Most bands I see these days don't have support.

Going to a few festivals springs some nice surprises sometimes. Faithless was one for me. Not my type of music at all but a mid afternoon half hour slot they were very good

Oooh, interesting one. I honestly don't tend to remember the support. Do they still do that? Most bands I see these days don't have support.

Come to think of it I don’t remember seeing a support band for years. Although I’m not usually in venues that early.

Seen some good ones over the years ( but more duds), first edition Human League supporting Siouxsie and the Banshees were a good find.

Best of the lot though was on Talking Heads first UK tour, real crackle in the room as everyone wanted the headliners. 4 blokes ambled on stage, started playing and by the 3rd or 4th bluesy, lyrically observational song we were all looking at each other saying these are good, what's their name? Who?? First anyone had heard of Dire Straits, Sultans of Swing came out a few weeks later. David Byrne and co were sensational later, still the best gig I've been to.

Here’s a good one - best band you inadvertently saw (e.g. were supporting the band you went to see).

I saw Grandaddy supporting Super Furry Animals at Sheffield Octagon in the late 90’s, they were excellent.
Went to the O2 in Sheffield to see Bruce Foxton, From the Jam. Support band were The Longsands. They released an album (Meet me in Spanish City) about a year later. Right up my musical street. If you like Indie music with a slice of social commentary you'll like these lads.

I saw Foxton when he was playing bass for SLF.

Would love to have seen The Jam in their classic period.

Went to the O2 in Sheffield to see Bruce Foxton, From the Jam. Support band were The Longsands. They released an album (Meet me in Spanish City) about a year later. Right up my musical street. If you like Indie music with a slice of social commentary you'll like these lads.

Were they from Whitley Bay with that album title?!

Started my gigging at the Drill Hall around 16 years old:

SLF
Stranglers
Boomtown Rats
The Damned
Magazine
The Members
Girl School
Cat Stevens
Fleetwood Mac
Bowie
Jack Johnson
The Corrs
Guns n Roses
Thin Lizzy
Elvis Costello
Amy McDonald
Genesis
Billy Idol
The Darkness
Kiss
Devo
Springsteen
Roxy Music
The Pretenders
Queen
ELO
Black Star Riders

Loads more, that I can’t remember...😀
Hawkwind played there too. Once in pitch darkness in response to be slagged off in the local press for playing in the nude the previous time they had played there...

And a free gig, if I remember rightly? Hadn't Brian Jones died just before the gig?

2 days before. And yes it was free. Mick Taylor was introduced as his replacement. King Crimson were also there. Couple of other groups also . A great day indeed

Last edited:
Saw THE WHO a few times,awesome live but never saw them play my favourite Who track live............................topical?.........................great lyrics.