Little Richard RIP | Vital Football

Little Richard RIP

RIP. Not a bad life eh? definitely a decent length one. Some of the most iconic songs of the era from a great talent.

I used to have a Little Richard greatest hits record but no longer have that one - I suspect it was stolen but maybe just lost.

Anyway, it was a gatefold LP and it had a fantastic photo on the inside. I've just tried to find the photo on the internet but can only find it in two halves. I'll link them below. Really loved the photo, almost as much as the music!

https://images.45worlds.com/f/ab/little-richard-his-greatest-recordings-2-ab.jpg

https://images.45worlds.com/f/ab/little-richard-ace-9-ab.jpg

They don't make them like this anymore - about the time I saw him at the Gaumont in Rochester. He walked around the orchestra pit at the cinema still singing like mad.

They don't make them like this anymore - about the time I saw him at the Gaumont in Rochester. He walked around the orchestra pit at the cinema still singing like mad.

That's why I always envied old bastards like you. In my day, only twenty years later, you'd have given your right arm to see any bugger at all play in the Medway Towns, let alone Little fucking Richard at the height of his powers.

But thanks for the clip anyway (despite the couple of shots of Savile, but you can't erase history). That's a mighty performance by anyone's standards, and although Little Richard's revered, even then I don't think he's given all the credit he deserved. He was there before rock 'n' roll, and you can see his influence on everyone from Elvis to the Beatles to Prince right down to the Sonics and any other musician who's stood on a stage and tried to whip up a frenzy. He was the master, the originator. A world without Little Richard would have been a very different, and poorer, place indeed.

Funnily enough, though, the person who most sprung to my mind watching that performance wasn't a musician at all, but Muhammad Ali, who I reckon got a load of inspiration for his stagecraft off of him.

Was also very impressed by the cameraman's dogged commitment to the majesty of the Shirelles' arses.

Last edited:
Here's my favourite rough-arsed rock and roll thing ever, when Link Wray and his brother roped in a gospel singer called David Walker to bring in a touch of the Georgia Peach's style. Has been described as him singing with the microphone inside his mouth.

Here's my favourite rough-arsed rock and roll thing ever, when Link Wray and his brother roped in a gospel singer called David Walker to bring in a touch of the Georgia Peach's style. Has been described as him singing with the microphone inside his mouth.

'kinell!

Link must have recorded the Rumble then next day -when they were all coming down.

That was great! Thanks Alderman.