Lineup v Peterborough | Page 4 | Vital Football

Lineup v Peterborough

I agree that we were beaten by the better team and I also prefer not to blame the ref. However, the ref today really does have some work to do when it comes to allowing an advantage to be played.

Ps, lots of people were having a moan about the ref. He was ok. We lost to a superior side. Don't do a Garrard and blame the ref. Virtually every fan in the country seems to think the ref is biased against their team. Mathematically this cannot be right. Their ayers did he usual lyimg on the ground shite but he did add plenty of time on.

If one of our players had been pushed over as Dembele (class) was for them we'd have screamed for a pen.

If you're referring to the incident in the first half regarding Dembele it was never a penalty in a million years, he got crowded out and decided to hit the deck, as he did throughout the game. What's frustrating is when players who clearly has as much talent as he has reported to diving, rolling around and play acting.

As for the ref yesterday, he was shit. Was he the reason we lost?,no. But he was inconsistent with his application of the rules and failed to play the advantage rule at on three or four occasions, which frustrated both sets of players. I think he must have watched Atkinson in the lunchtime game yesterday who did the same thing.

I didn't go so can't comment on the game but pleasing to read that the performance was better.

Peterborough operate at a different level to us so our season won't be defined by results against them. Results against Rochdale and AFCW it might be though.

There are certain games that we need to target to win to make sure we are near the top of the relegation mini league. Shrewsbury is more important than Portsmouth for that reason.

No shame in losing to a far better team. They spent 700K on a striker this year while we signed Hanlan from Charlton youth. Thats no disrespect to Hanlan but just pointing out the difference. They will also probably sell that striker for a couple of million in a few years. They are lucky to have an owner who can :

(a) afford to invest
(b) attract external investment.

Lets hope we can take that performance into the Shrewsbury game - it is actually more important than the Peterborough one.

He was "OK" was he Gills58?? Is that why Steve Lovell, Mark Patterson, Evans and Paul Raynor were all, at various times THROUGHOUT the game haranguing the fourth official?? Not only that but also the blatant diving he and the linesman refused to pick up on, even when Dembele once went down without being touched and the referee suddenly stopped play to get treatment for another of their players who went down holding his head, when his head had not even been hit. All this caused contention on the benches and at one stage it caused Mark Patterson and Paul Raynor to have a falling out!!!

I thought the performance yesterday was good, overall.

I thought Dembele was a good player but a bit too theatrical. He was fouled but also seemed a bit lightweight. He did well in the first half when 2 Gills players nearly took him but the ref played a great advantage on that occasion. Why cant we get these type of players a la Hodge?

The ref was inconsistent, which is frustrating. If a ref is just incompetent both sides get it but this was not the case. That said i thought he held back cards on 2 or 3 occasions too so we cannot have it both ways.

I agree "the penalty" wasn't.

We were lucky not to be 3 down after 15 minutes. We may have conceded 4 but for me Holy was my MOTM.

I wonder how the Peterborough wage budget compares to us? They spent 700k on Toni!

I think Evans was generous in his comments after the game. If it was a draw or a loss i wonder if he would have been different. It's easy to be nice when you win.

I hope this pitch plays out as a home advantage BUT both teams will benefit so better teams will play even better against us. Let's see.