Linesmens decisions | Vital Football

Linesmens decisions

Co-op Stand Imp

Vital Reserves Team
1. Since when has a linesman raised his flag for handball? Wasn't too concerned when I first saw it as the sign to ref for handball was always flag across the chest.

2. Will go down in history with the other injustices that have gone against us in big matches. penalty against Jamie McCombe at Huddersfield play-off, Yeo's disallowed goal in Southend play-off final and (before my time) Jack Lewis 'winner' in League Cup at Derby.

Pawel Abbot's goal for Huddersfield (George Cain). Slightly different this one because the lino did flag for offside, but George Cain, in his wisdom, over-ruled him.

I've seen a ref overrule his linesmen before I can almost understand that as they are supposed to have final say aren't they?
But in all my years of watching football I've NEVER seen it the other way around especially when the lino had a poor view as it was right in front of the ref.
Gone now sadly we just need to not feel sorry for ourselves and get the points we need to get promoted.
Whitehouse probably feels terrible today as he really should have tucked that chance away just before the end of the 90.
Pity we weren't playing the same two leg rules as they do in european games as we would have won on the away goals rule, on to Tuesday!

Davidimp - 19/3/2017 13:30

I've seen a ref overrule his linesmen before I can almost understand that as they are supposed to have final say aren't they?
But in all my years of watching football I've NEVER seen it the other way around especially when the lino had a poor view as it was right in front of the ref.
Gone now sadly we just need to not feel sorry for ourselves and get the points we need to get promoted.
Whitehouse probably feels terrible today as he really should have tucked that chance away just before the end of the 90.
Pity we weren't playing the same two leg rules as they do in european games as we would have won on the away goals rule, on to Tuesday!

Whitehouse was offside

Could be wrong, as I wasn't there yesterday, listened to Radio Lincs. But according to Hortin the ref and linesman initially gave nothing, until protests from the York players. Surely, that's the worrying bit (if correct)? What happened to the ref won't change his mind so no point protesting at length??

Have to say - very poor to get the two sets of officials we did for these matches. As someone else has pointed out, you'd have thought they'd have chosen the best available for such high profile matches.

Well he was a football league ref so should have been better than usual dross we get, clearly not?!

The ref waived away the incident, however the linesman flagged immediately. I have no doubt that should the boot have been on the other foot our players would have reacted in exactly the same manner. Having seen the footage (in slow mo) it would not appear to be the right decision however let's be clear, the linesman had already flagged for the incident as he saw it.

Impalex - 19/3/2017 13:09

Pawel Abbot's goal for Huddersfield (George Cain). Slightly different this one because the lino did flag for offside, but George Cain, in his wisdom, over-ruled him.

...and never refereed again!

cdhIMP - 19/3/2017 15:33

Whitehouse was offside

No he wasn't, Lino flagged for a goal kick not offside. Offside is flag straight up vertical, goal kick is straight horizontal.

Having watched the highlights on the BT Sport youtube page he was indeed onside and really should have had scored. Wrong player in the place I fear, Marriott maybe who have scored????
O well long gone now, a league needs winning!

Harry15 - 19/3/2017 22:12

The ref waived away the incident, however the linesman flagged immediately. I have no doubt that should the boot have been on the other foot our players would have reacted in exactly the same manner. Having seen the footage (in slow mo) it would not appear to be the right decision however let's be clear, the linesman had already flagged for the incident as he saw it.

The linesman did flag, but not for a penalty.

The linesman did exactly the below.

http://www.surreyfa.com/news/2014/jul/new-fa-guidelines-for-awarding-a-penalty

I am sorry everyone, but from my position at almost pitch level, in the Library, from behind the dugout, it did look like a penalty and the lino signalled immediately, indicating a foul and gave the decision against Lincoln.

If we'd taken our chances, we wouldn't be having this discussion now.

Impartiality - 21/3/2017 10:10

Harry15 - 19/3/2017 22:12

The linesman did flag, but not for a penalty.

Yes he did, the signal for a penalty has changed this season. He made the correct signal that he thought it was a definate penalty. He was wrong of course and he should be embarrassed when he sees it again but his signal was correct. The signal was wave your flag furiously and point flag in the relevant direction according to the offence at an angle of not less than 45 degrees.

johnolbe - 20/3/2017 22:37

cdhIMP - 19/3/2017 15:33

Whitehouse was offside

No he wasn't, Lino flagged for a goal kick not offside. Offside is flag straight up vertical, goal kick is straight horizontal.

If the ball go out of play you put your flag straight up, youthen signal when the ref acknowledges it, if its offside you stand still with the flag raised, you then point to which area of the pitch it is, the signal would be similar though if the offside was central.

GoBC - 19/3/2017 20:57

Could be wrong, as I wasn't there yesterday, listened to Radio Lincs. But according to Hortin the ref and linesman initially gave nothing, until protests from the York players. Surely, that's the worrying bit (if correct)? What happened to the ref won't change his mind so no point protesting at length??

Have to say - very poor to get the two sets of officials we did for these matches. As someone else has pointed out, you'd have thought they'd have chosen the best available for such high profile matches.

Hortin was wrong, he signalled for a free kick straight away, force of habit I was looking. He signalled hand ball, the ref said no, then the York players made the ref talk to him.

The Electric Banana - 20/3/2017 01:20

Impalex - 19/3/2017 13:09

...and never refereed again!

Haha - I was so incensed I wrote a letter to the FA. I don't recall getting a response!

Not a happy place that season. As it turned out the dubious non offside decision didn't make any difference to the season but the dubious penalty given against Jamie McCombe in the play off second leg certainly did! The first half of that match was possibly one of the best halves of Lincoln City football I have witnessed.

simes69 - 21/3/2017 14:28

Well, an extra point would have meant we played Mansfield in the PO, not Huddersfield.

Didn't realise that, long time ago. I will follow up my letter to the FA then.....