Lincolnshire - Northerner or Midlander | Vital Football

Lincolnshire - Northerner or Midlander

GreenNeedle

Vital Squad Member
Maybe I have been living in a shelter but I have only recently encountered people born and bred in Lincoln referring to themselves as "Midlanders!" I have always thought of myself as a "Northerner" and I'm sure all the people I grew up with also think of themselves as the same.

So is this something new? Is it something mainly with younger people? Is it to do with the more affluent versus the less affluent? Maybe some shame about being considered as a "Northerner?"

If you are born in Lincolnshire do you consider yourself a Midlander or a Northerner?

I think that the nations' North/South divide roughly cuts across the country on a line that traverses Greetwell Road, The Cathedral, The Castle and down Burton Road.
Everyone living in downhill Lincoln is therefore a southern softy!

Ex-Ref - 26/5/2017 17:21

I think that the nations' North/South divide roughly cuts across the country on a line that traverses Greetwell Road, The Cathedral, The Castle and down Burton Road.
Everyone living in downhill Lincoln is therefore a southern softy!

Brilliant ! :clappy:

Down here I have always been referred to as a Northerner. Being pedantic, i always point out Lincoln as being in the North East Midlands.

At the risk of bringing up less salubrious parts of our past- a song from the Railway Terrace in the 70's and 80's (to the tune of Lord of the Dance)

Fighting wherever we may be
We are the boys from the East country
And we don't give a f*ck whoever you may be
Cos we are the boys from the East country

Funny how that has stuck in my head for 40 years!

But have always thought of myself as from the East country since then.....even if Crawley fans sang "dirty northern b*stards" at us this season!

Even harder to define if you live in London and have colleagues who think you need a passport to get past the Watford Gap. :bow:

Midlander for me, I tend to think of the Humber as where it gets 'Northerner'

Having had Crawley and Cambridge fans sing "dirty northern b*stards" at us this season when playing away, maybe we have had the decision made for us