Lincolnshire heritage... | Page 2 | Vital Football

Lincolnshire heritage...

The first shots of the American War of Independence were fired by soldiers of the 10th Foot, which became the Lincolnshire Regiment. One of their nicknames was The Springers on account of the fact that they were always up for a fight with the Americans. Quite proud of that.

I think it's highly debatable that anyone knows who fired the first shots of the American War of Independence. The unit on Lexington Green was made up of grenadiers and light infantry from around 10 regiments. There is plenty of debate about whether the first shots were even fired by the British.

It is apparently true according to interviews with an officer of the 4th Foot Guard after the event that only one British soldier was wounded on Lexington Green and he was a man of the 10th Foot.

If we move onto the North Bridge in Concord (and "the shot heard around the world") I believe those shots were fired at men of the 4th Guards Foot who retreated across it.

Here's a photo I took of the North Bridge grave of the British soldiers at Concord29429913095_0263028721_w.jpg