Lincolnshire heritage... | Page 5 | Vital Football

Lincolnshire heritage...

The location of Roman columns of various buildings are still marked on Bailgate, and you can go underground and view at least one of them.

Small fry, but there are still remains of the 2WW “Tank Trap” in the pavement on Nettleham Road near St Barnabas Hospice.

Quite a few Roman remains around Lincoln, of course. Amazing to think it was a thriving, walled Roman town for around 350 years before the Romans pulled out, with Honorious famously telling Britannia to "look to your own defence".

Quite a few Roman remains around Lincoln, of course. Amazing to think it was a thriving, walled Roman town for around 350 years before the Romans pulled out, with Honorious famously telling Britannia to "look to your own defence".
One of Lincoln's Roman remains that is no longer visible is the Westgate, which is buried under the Castle mound. The arch was, I believe, re-exposed briefly in the 19th Century. I would love to see it be re-exhumed and made structurally sound so it can be appreciated. I was part of the Team that re-exposed the Norman Westgate into Lincoln Castle back in 1987, which was great fun. In the last week of the dig the archaeologist, a massive fan of the Romans, dug straight down where the portcullis is in the Gate. A metre or so down we found the Roman West wall which hadn't been seen by anyone for the best part of 800 years. There was only a handful of us who saw it, so quite a privileged. I can say that it is still in very good condition and a mighty bit of structure. We had to bury it back in almost as soon as we had exposed it, to protect it. I hoped that it would be re-exposed as part of the Westgate development with a glass covering and lights installed so it could be seen. You could then have had a walk through Norman and Roman architecture at the same time, which would gave been quite a cool experience.

About time we had something more Roman at the club. In or around the ground, or on a shirt, or Poacher in a legionary uniform !

One of Lincoln's Roman remains that is no longer visible is the Westgate, which is buried under the Castle mound. The arch was, I believe, re-exposed briefly in the 19th Century. I would love to see it be re-exhumed and made structurally sound so it can be appreciated. I was part of the Team that re-exposed the Norman Westgate into Lincoln Castle back in 1987, which was great fun. In the last week of the dig the archaeologist, a massive fan of the Romans, dug straight down where the portcullis is in the Gate. A metre or so down we found the Roman West wall which hadn't been seen by anyone for the best part of 800 years. There was only a handful of us who saw it, so quite a privileged. I can say that it is still in very good condition and a mighty bit of structure. We had to bury it back in almost as soon as we had exposed it, to protect it. I hoped that it would be re-exposed as part of the Westgate development with a glass covering and lights installed so it could be seen. You could then have had a walk through Norman and Roman architecture at the same time, which would gave been quite a cool experience.

I've spotted most of the extant remains over the years but have never got around to doing the Roman Walk/Tour that is occasionally put on.

I've spotted most of the extant remains over the years but have never got around to doing the Roman Walk/Tour that is occasionally put on.

We were going to go on an underground visit somewhere in the middle that is rarely opened, but then it was called off.
So still not done it.

We were going to go on an underground visit somewhere in the middle that is rarely opened, but then it was called off.
So still not done it.
Probably the Roman remains under the Royal Bank of Scotland which are open to the public during Heritage weekends. The nightclub The Roman Ruin was so called because it had a Roman ruin in it. Can't be many night clubs in the UK that can have boasted that!.

Following on from my post earlier today, was unsure whether to post the following photos in the Lincoln in the 1980s and 90s thread but, given their historic nature, decided on this thread.
The following pics were taken in 1987 when the City of Lincoln Archaeological Unit, assisted by Lincoln Community Enterprise Agency, was given the task of re-exposing the old Norman West Gate entrance into the castle which had been unused and blocked up for many a century. At one time the West Gate was completely covered up by a mound and couldn't be seen. From September/October 1986 to November 1987 layer after layer of soil was removed to reveal it. The area around the dig had been used in medieval times as a rubbish tip. We found lots of broken Roman and medieval pottery, a few coins, lots of bits of broken clay pipes and even cannon balls from the English Civil War. The most oddest thing was a skeleton, dating back to about the 1400s. It had been laid out in the fashion of a Christian burial, but what made it interesting was the fact that it had a knife between its leg bones and shouldn't really have been where we found it! It was such a strange discovery that the local TV companies came along to see us and did a piece about it in their news bulletins.
These pictures are dedicated to Nigel Dennis, former Stadium Manager at Sincil Bank and who worked for a year on this dig, and Rick Kemp, who was the Team Leader for the CEA lads on the dig, both good lads and who both passed away far too young and before their time.

20210425_152041.jpg20210425_152053.jpg20210425_152112.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/educati...university-regenerated-the-east-midlands-city

My experience of Mary Stuart was asking her in an all-staff meeting about our 1% pay offer when I worked there. It didn't go down well with the "we're fabulous" vibe of her speech.

She, needless to say, got considerably more.
"one in six people either works with the university or studies there." - is that true? I know Lincoln isn't massive but that seems like a huge proportion.

Not in Lincoln, though!!

Probably not far off. 15,000 students 4 - 5000 staff? 20k out of 120k?

I haven't read the full article, but presumably that just refers to the Uni of Lincoln. If the Grotty (which has a longer Lincoln heritage?) is added to that, the proportion of (academic and non academic) staff and students associated with the Universities must be higher - tho' the student population will be partly/mainly temporary