Lincolnshire heritage... | Vital Football

Lincolnshire heritage...

NottyImp

Vital Football Legend
... just thinking aloud, I'm surprised the county hasn't made more of the likes of Sir Isaac Newton, George Boole, Sir Alfred Tennyson and Captain Matthew Flinders.

Other counties have museums to, arguably, lesser figures.

Oh, and Sir Joseph Banks. A complex character, for sure, but significant with respect to the Royal Society, botany, colonial policy and the competition to determine geographical latitude accurately.

You've missed Maggie off that list!

I'd happily see a balanced examination of her influence and legacy. She set the agenda from 1979 'til now. I utterly disagree with her politics and ingluence on UK history, but it's absolutely worth investigating.

But, to return to a vague semblance of seriousness, Banks sailed with Cook. Whitby has a really interesting Cook museum. As far as I know, nothing in Lincoln about Banks.

Boole invented the logic that underpins modern computing. No museum to him in Lincoln.

Flinders sailed with Bligh and mapped much of Austria.

But, to return to a vague semblance of seriousness, Banks sailed with Cook. Whitby has a really interesting Cook museum. As far as I know, nothing in Lincoln about Banks.

Boole invented the logic that underpins modern computing. No museum to him in Lincoln.

Flinders sailed with Bligh and mapped much of Austria.
Used to be the Joseph Banks Conservatory at the Lawn. It got dismantled and moved to the Woodlands Wildlife place at Langworth. There was a Joseph Banks society in Horncastle. I seem to remember going to a house there that i believe he lived in at some time that had a small display about him.
There is now a seat near Binns which makes reference to Boole and there used to be some sculpture that made reference to him on the Brayford. Dare I say it, it was, and might still be for all I know, near the Brayford signal box. There was talk of there being a statue to him at the train station at one time, but nothing seems to gave come of that. I think there is also a blue plaque to him on a house up by the Cathedral.

Used to be the Joseph Banks Conservatory at the Lawn. It got dismantled and moved to the Woodlands Wildlife place at Langworth. There was a Joseph Banks society in Horncastle. I seem to remember going to a house there that i believe he lived in at some time that had a small display about him.
There is now a seat near Binns which makes reference to Boole and there used to be some sculpture that made reference to him on the Brayford. Dare I say it, it was, and might still be for all I know, near the Brayford signal box. There was talk of there being a statue to him at the train station at one time, but nothing seems to gave come of that. I think there is also a blue plaque to him on a house up by the Cathedral.

Intetesting but small beer. Oh, there,'s an idea! Craft beers. They would sell.

Boolean Brown Ale.
Flinders Fine Pale.
Banks Bitter.
Newton's Physical Porter.

My daughter did an assignment at Uni around creating a historical explorers trail in Lincolnshire. I spent an interesting Sunday driving around taking photos and researching.
As well as Flinders & Banks you mentioned, if I remember correctly we covered Franklin, George Bass & Capt John Smith. Don’t know if (Covid excepting) is still the case but there were a couple of village churches open that had exhibits of Bass & Smith.