LIncoln Late 1980s and Early 1990s | Vital Football

LIncoln Late 1980s and Early 1990s

Sigiriya

Vital Reserves Team
Last year I posted some photos on here that I had taken of Sincil Bank in 1990. At that time, Lincoln was just beginning to change from the run down place that it had become to the modern city that it is now. I was aware that the face of Lincoln was about to change for ever and wanted to catch some images whilst I could. In this thread, therefore, I would like to share some of these images with you. Hopefully, they will provoke some memories from those of us old enough to remember, as well as interest amongst those that are not. I've several dozen views of different parts of the City Centre, so should be able to keep the thread going for a while. If nothing else, I hope they help to create a few more views for the site and raise money for the Imps. So, in my nod to Laurence Elvin and Maurice Hodson, whose books inspired me to take the afore-mentioned photos, here goes. The first one is of a much missed pub which I am sure will many of us will have frequented on our way to Sincil Bank over the years. But which pub is it? Plenty of clues to help.20210324_125754 (3).jpg

Thank you Sigiriya. I left Lincoln permanently in 1997 so these pics will be absolutely part of my memories.

I'm not sure the pub. The brick colour and the John Smiths green reminded my of the Golden Cross, but as far as I know it is still open and it's off the High Street, which this picture isn't.

So I'm stumped but keep whatever pics you have coming. I think about returning in retirement, but I know the City is very different now.

I left, effectively, in 1983 returned in 2005 and left again about a year ago. So, although I occasionally visited family and went to the odd game, that period is a bit of a blank for me Lincoln-wise.

I certainly noticed the changes when I returned, though. They continue, of course, with Cornhill renovation.

Thank you Sigiriya. I left Lincoln permanently in 1997 so these pics will be absolutely part of my memories.

I'm not sure the pub. The brick colour and the John Smiths green reminded my of the Golden Cross, but as far as I know it is still open and it's off the High Street, which this picture isn't.

So I'm stumped but keep whatever pics you have coming. I think about returning in retirement, but I know the City is very different now.
Not the Golden Cross, but is very similar. Will keep the pics coming. Lincoln has changed dramatically in some areas, but there are some that never change. The Cathedral will look as majestic as it ever did when you last saw it, if not more so now that the West Front, Exchequer Gate and the North Front have had a bit of TLC.

I left, effectively, in 1983 returned in 2005 and left again about a year ago. So, although I occasionally visited family and went to the odd game, that period is a bit of a blank for me Lincoln-wise.

I certainly noticed the changes when I returned, though. They continue, of course, with Cornhill renovation.

Going back to a place after many years always shows up noticeable changes . I left Bromley 1974 and didn't return until 2015 . Mind you the pubs were still there , with many memories . Although i live in Cheshire my home is SE London

Portland Arms it is. It had a bit of a face lift after this picture was taken, and was quite popular with Imps Fans before a match before it eventually closed for good.

Portland Arms it is. It had a bit of a face lift after this picture was taken, and was quite popular with Imps Fans before a match before it eventually closed for good.

Now an assessment centre. Mrs N. worked there briefly.

Going back to a place after many years always shows up noticeable changes . I left Bromley 1974 and didn't return until 2015 . Mind you the pubs were still there , with many memories . Although i live in Cheshire my home is SE London

That's a difference. Most "traditional" pubs in Lincoln have closed down.

We thought things started to improve after we left in 71 - felt like we were being told something!! Seemed to be the Steep Hill/Cathedral area first, with the old "junk" shops being replaced by the more touristy gift shops. But memories do play tricks

My last visit to Lincoln before moving to where I am now was in May 1997. It was just under two years later before I went back, and the biggest surprise was to find the shopping development of what had been St Marks station. Of course it had closed as a station many years before, but I was amazed to see what had become of the area in the time I'd been away

This was what the first stage of my journey home looked like for a good deal of the 1970s and 80s:

dmu at Lincoln St Marks 1980s.jpg

My last visit to Lincoln before moving to where I am now was in May 1997. It was just under two years later before I went back, and the biggest surprise was to find the shopping development of what had been St Marks station. Of course it had closed as a station many years before, but I was amazed to see what had become of the area in the time I'd been away

This was what the first stage of my journey home looked like for a good deal of the 1970s and 80s:

View attachment 47014
And now most of the shops are closing down!

View attachment 47014

I remember the dirt/gas/soot whatever that black stuff was from the bus station at St Marks. It was everywhere. I never found the smell unpleasant, maybe others did.

View attachment 47014
Now that's weird. The next picture I had lined up was this one!
20210324_132330 (2).jpg
I took a few pictures of what had been St Marks station before Simons re-developed the site. I'll post a few on here over the next few days. I seem to remember that there was an archaeological dig on the site before it got redeveloped.