LIncoln Late 1980s and Early 1990s | Page 21 | Vital Football

LIncoln Late 1980s and Early 1990s

Today's gloomy looming trio takes us back to Lincoln, post Zombie Apocalypse. Either that, or the aftermath of a Luftwaffe raid on Lincoln in the early 1940s! Free Mars Bar for the first person to guess which street used to house these delightful residences! The last picture probably helps the most.

20210707_181026_001 (2).jpg20210707_181114 (2).jpg20210707_181154 (2).jpg

Great! Never realised I lived on a street that was once bombed by the Nazis. One for the grandkids. By the way, this thread is endlessly fascinating. Keep it up!

Great! Never realised I lived on a street that was once bombed by the Nazis. One for the grandkids. By the way, this thread is endlessly fascinating. Keep it up!
Hi John. Sorry to disappoint you. The comment about it showing the after effects of a 1940s Luftwaffe raid was a tongue in cheek one. However, there were various streets in Lincoln that suffered at the hands of the Luftwaffe during WW2. Lincoln During the War by Fred Hurt is a good reference about various events that happened in Lincoln during WW2 and is a good read. Houses in the following streets took direct hits: Westwick Gardens, Coningsby Street, Baggeholme Road, Avondale Street, Thomas Street, Vernon Street and Dixon Street. Many others were affected by fires caused by Incendiary bombs, or by the dropping of Butterfly (anti-personnel) Bombs, or even machine gun fire! I've no doubt this list isn't definitive. Interesting if anyone else knows anymore.
However, what is known as a Fire Pot bomb did, apparently fall near Tentercroft Street on the night of Jan 15th, 1943, according to Fred Hurt's book, so a little claim to fame there.
Plenty more old photos to come so will keep posting them whilst their is interest out there.

Hi John. Sorry to disappoint you. The comment about it showing the after effects of a 1940s Luftwaffe raid was a tongue in cheek one. However, there were various streets in Lincoln that suffered at the hands of the Luftwaffe during WW2. Lincoln During the War by Fred Hurt is a good reference about various events that happened in Lincoln during WW2 and is a good read. Houses in the following streets took direct hits: Westwick Gardens, Coningsby Street, Baggeholme Road, Avondale Street, Thomas Street, Vernon Street and Dixon Street. Many others were affected by fires caused by Incendiary bombs, or by the dropping of Butterfly (anti-personnel) Bombs, or even machine gun fire! I've no doubt this list isn't definitive. Interesting if anyone else knows anymore.
However, what is known as a Fire Pot bomb did, apparently fall near Tentercroft Street on the night of Jan 15th, 1943, according to Fred Hurt's book, so a little claim to fame there.
Plenty more old photos to come so will keep posting them whilst their is interest out there.

I would endorse Sigiriya's comments re Fred Hurt's book. We came across it when clearing our parents house, and I read it a year or two back. Worth a read if you can get it

Oh yeah, I've just spotted the satellite dish! Still, I lived on Vernon Street too so I'm quids in.

You obviously took *a lot* of photographs. What was the motivation? And does your interest in this form of media extend to other subjects?

You obviously took *a lot* of photographs. What was the motivation? And does your interest in this form of media extend to other subjects?
Lincoln in the 1980s, as you and many others on this Forum will know, was a very run down place with, seemingly, not a lot going for it. There was dreadful youth unemployment and very little to do in the evenings except go down the pub and get hammered. It felt stuck in a time warp. Then, at the end of the 80s, one or two things started to happen that made me think that perhaps change might be on its way. I was too late to photograph the old Ruston factories that used to be on Beevor Street being demolished in the area that is now where Currys/Oak Furniture Land, etc are now. I thought, therefore, that it would be nice to capture pictures of other areas of the city that were likely to be developed before they too were bulldozed, so I had some pictorial memories of what Lincoln looked like during my youth. Everyone takes pictures of nice bits of Lincoln, like the castle and cathedral. I thought I'd take pictures of those areas less likely to be captured on camera, but no less a part of Lincoln's heritage.
Unfortunately, I didn't have the brass to do a great deal of photography in those days (in fact, most of this pictures were taken on my sister's camera as I didn't have one), so even though there are plenty of other subjects I'm interested in, none got the level of time and effort that photographing Lincoln did. The youth scene in Lincoln was very vibrant in Lincoln at the end of the 70s, early 80s, with kids identifying as Mods, Rockers, Punks, Skinheads, etc. I'd have loved to have photographed my experience of that.

Lincoln in the 1980s, as you and many others on this Forum will know, was a very run down place with, seemingly, not a lot going for it. There was dreadful youth unemployment and very little to do in the evenings except go down the pub and get hammered. It felt stuck in a time warp. Then, at the end of the 80s, one or two things started to happen that made me think that perhaps change might be on its way. I was too late to photograph the old Ruston factories that used to be on Beevor Street being demolished in the area that is now where Currys/Oak Furniture Land, etc are now. I thought, therefore, that it would be nice to capture pictures of other areas of the city that were likely to be developed before they too were bulldozed, so I had some pictorial memories of what Lincoln looked like during my youth. Everyone takes pictures of nice bits of Lincoln, like the castle and cathedral. I thought I'd take pictures of those areas less likely to be captured on camera, but no less a part of Lincoln's heritage.
Unfortunately, I didn't have the brass to do a great deal of photography in those days (in fact, most of this pictures were taken on my sister's camera as I didn't have one), so even though there are plenty of other subjects I'm interested in, none got the level of time and effort that photographing Lincoln did. The youth scene in Lincoln was very vibrant in Lincoln at the end of the 70s, early 80s, with kids identifying as Mods, Rockers, Punks, Skinheads, etc. I'd have loved to have photographed my experience of that.

An informative response. I often browse the photography articles on the Gustdian website and the BBC. I like still photography as a medium but can claim no expertise or intellectual understanding. My favourite genre is "street photography" that combines people with place and time.

Have you kept up the interest over the decades?

An informative response. I often browse the photography articles on the Gustdian website and the BBC. I like still photography as a medium but can claim no expertise or intellectual understanding. My favourite genre is "street photography" that combines people with place and time.

Have you kept up the interest over the decades?
Not as much as I would have liked to have done, for a variety of reasons. Retirement beckons within the next few years, so I might be able to pick things up a bit then.

A lot of the country was in physical and moral decline back then after years of incompetent government on both sides of the politics divide. It took 2 committed politicians, Messrs Heseltine and Gummer, to turn things towards anything like progress. The latter in particular might seem controversial but trust me, I was there, he was an inspiration.