LIncoln Late 1980s and Early 1990s | Page 17 | Vital Football

LIncoln Late 1980s and Early 1990s

There's a difference between a career and a job...

Depends on what you determine is the difference? By career I suppose you mean staying in one field of work your entire working life?

I have never been like that. The world moves on and different avenues open. I started in accountancy (at an engineering firm) and when redundancy happened I changed fields into databases and IT (at a marketing firm) and when made redundant I moved into warehousing operations, shipping etc, etc.

I'm not talking about moving into "low non professional" jobs (which is what I assume your post is trying to hint at) that you leave on the Friday and find a new one on Monday. If anything that has only happened (to me) in the times since "more opportunities" arose!!! post mid noughties.

In that era people needed to be flexible. Those 40 year careers working for 1 company were becoming a thing of the past and a lot of people moved from one field to another as they moved from one company to another. As the working world changes new fields of work appear. And back in the nineties especially the working world was changing substantially.

I guess I was ahead of that game back in the 90s. My point was that back in these "dark days" in Lincoln pre Uni and pre "growth", I found no problem getting decent jobs because I was eager to learn new things and did not hem myself in by any particular field of work.

I hope you weren't trying to be as dismissive as your post reads though and will take it as not being so.

Last edited:
Depends on what you determine is the difference? By career I suppose you mean staying in one field of work your entire working life?

I have never been like that. The world moves on and different avenues open. I started in accountancy (at an engineering firm) and when redundancy happened I changed fields into databases and IT (at a marketing firm) and when made redundant I moved into warehousing operations, shipping etc, etc.

I'm not talking about moving into "low non professional" jobs (which is what I assume your post is trying to hint at) that you leave on the Friday and find a new one on Monday. If anything that has only happened (to me) in the times since "more opportunities" arose!!! post mid noughties.

In that era people needed to be flexible. Those 40 year careers working for 1 company were becoming a thing of the past and a lot of people moved from one field to another as they moved from one company to another. As the working world changes new fields of work appear. And back in the nineties especially the working world was changing substantially.

I guess I was ahead of that game back in the 90s. My point was that back in these "dark days" in Lincoln pre Uni and pre "growth", I found no problem getting decent jobs because I was eager to learn new things and did not hem myself in by any particular field of work.

I hope you weren't trying to be as dismissive as your post reads though and will take it as not being so.

I wasn't trying to imply that at all, and I didn't have a problem finding a job either really. My jobs in Lincoln were as a buyers assistant at Spaldings, a figure caster for Games Workshop in Newark and then as a Technician in the wafer fabrication plant at Marconi's. All of them different, some of them well paid but none of them were ever going to lead to a career in Lincoln at anything like the pace I wanted if at all.

(Anyone who wanted a career in microelectronics left Marconi's to go to Scotland and work for Plessey and I had no interest in being trapped in a clean room suit for the next 15 years working my way up the ladder.)

My career is in IT and customer service, and spans lots and lots of different industries and jobs (let's see: Education, Debt Collection, Online Gaming, Software Development for Accountancy, Banking and Project Management, large scale enterprise IT consultancy business, Automotive Manufacturing and now Public Transport) but there is no way in Lincoln in the 80's and 90's that was ever going to be a thing and my career didn't take off until I decided to leave whereupon the opportunities became much bigger and much wider, firstly down in Surrey and now where I live in the Midlands, that breadth and depth of available opportunities simply didn't exist in Lincoln.

We faced a similar position in 1971 when we got married. I wanted to move into Personnel Management (now HR), but with mergers and redundancies going on in Lincoln - unemployment was twice the national average - we had to move away, and I got a job in Sheffield. Fortunately my girlfriend/wife worked in the Civil Service and was able to transfer, first to Sheffield, and then to Stoke. Have to say that compared to Lincoln at the time (for any decent "clobber" or evenings out eg bowling, skating we used to go to Nottingham) Sheffield was really exciting and vibrant (see the 8mm film at the start of The Full Monty - that was a fair representation) and when we moved down here quite missed it. Have subsequently done some interim work up there, and it's not the place it was. Lincoln has improved since we left, but have to say since losing my parents, it's the cathedral area I head for most - other than SB, of course

Nice to see a thread about the 'good old days', but with the Imps with a chance to return to tier 2 how about a look into the future? If this sign on Hawthorn Rd towards the Eastern Bypass is to be believed we'll be entering a new golden age for railways.

sign2.jpg

Just got back from a superb week on the Norfolk Broads. Apart from last Saturday, it was mostly sun shine all week (honest). To cap it all Sigiriya junior made sure we got Sunderland tickets whilst I was away. Woohoo! Hope to post some more piccies tomorrow.

The photos below mainly show the area that is now B&Q and Morrisons petrol station. The road that you can see in a couple of photographs is what was Harding Street. There used to be a number of streets of terraced housing in this area that were named after the Duke of Wellington's Generals who had served under him at Waterloo (hence Waterloo Street). They were demolished in the 1970s. I have no recollection of them. Does anyone else? The final photo shows where the rail track used to be as it headed its way into St Marks Station. The area is now almost unrecognisable now from those days.

20210503_142307 (2).jpg20210503_142532 (2).jpg20210503_141930 (2).jpg20210503_144244 (2).jpg20210503_144042 (3).jpg

The photos below mainly show the area that is now B&Q and Morrisons petrol station. The road that you can see in a couple of photographs is what was Harding Street. There used to be a number of streets of terraced housing in this area that were named after the Duke of Wellington's Generals who had served under him at Waterloo (hence Waterloo Street). They were demolished in the 1970s. I have no recollection of them. Does anyone else? The final photo shows where the rail track used to be as it headed its way into St Marks Station. The area is now almost unrecognisable now from those days.

View attachment 48666View attachment 48667View attachment 48668View attachment 48669View attachment 48670

Perfect setting for a zombie apocalypse B movie...

My Dad used to reckon that part of the EU 'butter mountain' was stored in one of those warehouses in this picture (or maybe it was the 'grain mountain'?).
I heard that one as well (grain mountain), so maybe there was truth in it, or it was just a well used urban myth.

Today's pictures show the building on Firth Road that was used by Lincoln Community Enterprise Agency and Lincolnshire Employment Training in the late 80s, early 90s, which is now long since demolished.
Sorry for delay in posting pics. It's taken this long to get over the euphoria of Wednesday and yesterday's emotional roller coaster ride! Will post some more Zombie Apocalypse type photos of Lincoln later in the week.

20210518_170011 (2).jpg20210518_170019 (2).jpg20210518_170228 (2).jpg20210518_171909 (2).jpg20210518_171935 (2).jpg

Today's pictures show the building on Firth Road that was used by Lincoln Community Enterprise Agency and Lincolnshire Employment Training in the late 80s, early 90s, which is now long since demolished.
Sorry for delay in posting pics. It's taken this long to get over the euphoria of Wednesday and yesterday's emotional roller coaster ride! Will post some more Zombie Apocalypse type photos of Lincoln later in the week.

View attachment 48919View attachment 48920View attachment 48921View attachment 48922View attachment 48923

That one looks like the type of place the Sweeney or the Professionals would chase the bad guy to before the final inevitable shootout