LIncoln Late 1980s and Early 1990s | Page 16 | Vital Football

LIncoln Late 1980s and Early 1990s

Cattle market and Tech College, 1950s I suspect. Building on left is Cattle Market hotel.

View attachment 48079

Good pic, thanks

I seem to recall that the market was on two levels. Sheep (as seen on the photo) and pigs were on the lower level, and cattle - with bigger/higher pens, were on a higher level, as the market extended up the hill

Good pic, thanks

I seem to recall that the market was on two levels. Sheep (as seen on the photo) and pigs were on the lower level, and cattle - with bigger/higher pens, were on a higher level, as the market extended up the hill
I used to frequent the Cattle Market pub in the late 60’s early 70’s. Does anyone else remember the landlord then, I think he was called Baz. Across the road was Gino’s barbers, which was run by Gino and his son Nuccio. I think Nuccio has recently sold up and retired.

Again, out of the timeframe of this thread, but a conversation this morning caused me to recall that as young lads, presumably during the school holidays, our mum used to take us to the cattle market on Monks Road on Tuesday mornings

How that area between Broadgate and Vine Street has changed. There used to be the Sessions House/Police Station, City School, Fire Station, Tech Coll and Cattle Market
Lincoln College now uses the Sessions House (Old Courthouse and plenty of cells are still peserved within in it), as well as the old City School, Fire station and Police station. As a nipper I went on a school trip to the Police station there when I was a junior at Fosse Way CP in North Hykeham. I was about 8 at the time. One of the most interesting school visits I had, along with a trip to Scunny Steel Works when I was about 10.

Good photo Bazzzer. The bend in the foreground where it goes past Dawsons was where I came off my pushbike on ice, en-route to tech coll and busted my flask. Mrs E did exactly the same on her Honda 50. I hasten to add it was some years after the photo was taken...probably late 70’s. When would this photo have been taken? I don’t remember all of those railway sidings, they must have been torn up years before I used that route

When would this photo have been taken? I don’t remember all of those railway sidings, they must have been torn up years before I used that route

The photo was before 1957 as St Marks station still has its overall roof.

The short siding near the signal box was "Poppleton's siding" at one time. In earlier days, Poppleton had a sweet factory across the road.x.jpg

Following on from the pics I posted earlier in the week, today's show the offices and factory buildings of what I believe was, at that time, Beevor Engineering on Beevor Road, and what the area looked like after the buildings were demolished (please feel free to correct me if I am wrong). The last two pictures were taken from the car park of the British Rail Social Club on the Ropewalk, an area which I will post pictures of in due course. The factory in the 2nd and 4th photos can be see in Bazzzer's earlier photo. I will post a couple of pics next week showing what the area looks like now. If you haven't been to Lincoln in the last 18 months (and why would you with there being no footie to watch), you'll be amazed.

20210501_110827 (2).jpg20210501_110657 (2).jpg20210501_105739 (2).jpg20210501_110102 (2).jpg20210501_105430 (2).jpg20210501_105632 (2).jpg

Following up from the pics directly above, this is what that area of Beevor Street/Tritton Road looks like today (4 5 2021). Quite a change. In between I have added a picture which shows just how run down Lincoln and this area was back in the late 1980s. For the aviation enthusiasts amongst us the aircraft wings that can be seen in the scrap yard used to belong to a De Havilland Chipmunk, T Mk10.

20210504_132214 (2).jpg20210504_132302 (2).jpg20210504_132416 (2).jpg20210504_132439 (2).jpg20210503_143341 (2).jpg20210504_132459 (2).jpg20210504_132542 (2).jpg20210504_132549 (2).jpg

Well, this will be my last post of pics for a few days as I am going off on holiday tomorrow! Weather looks dodgy, but will be fantastic to escape the clutches of Lincolnshire for a week, albeit if it is the Norfolk Broads.
Today's pics show the west side of Beevor Street, taking in the buildings that used to be part of Ruston Bucyrus, amongst others.

20210503_141615 (2).jpg20210503_141704 (2).jpg20210503_141738 (2).jpg20210503_142031 (2).jpg20210503_142146 (2).jpg

I think it used to have a bar billiards table. Don’t think I’ve ever seen one anywhere else.

I remember the Bar Billiards table in the Adam n Eve. The Roman Oak/Centurion also had a bar billiards table in the late eighties / early nineties. No idea before then because I couldn't get served until I was 15......erm I mean 18.

Really appreciating this thread Sigiriya. Do you have any equivalent pics to compare side by side the development that has taken place? Given the exile of some Imps, this is the Lincoln I remember most, and even though I get back every few years it would be interesting to compare the difference. Thanks again for all the pics.

You can use Google street view to get "up to date" pictures.

It's not just the content, but the colour-balance of the pics is very 80s. Almost a classic technicolour feel.
Lol. I was commenting to someone the other day that the 80s was a very grey era and the colours we see now even with our eyes are much different from when chimneys were spewing away, every building covered in dark soot (including the cathedral) although the grass always looked greener :) Amazing the colour of the grass in old pictures. Must've been all the carbon.

Precisely this. Along with no cinema, no place to watch a gig and very, very little in the way of career opportunities (no BBC here to make tea at..) I couldn't get out of the place quickly enough...

I've never been out of work for more than a couple of weeks. Always new avenues to move into.

I've lived in Lincoln for all of my 46 years bar 3 months. Been made redundant 3 times in that time.

The 3 months were instead of one of the redundancies where I relocated to Manchester. Hated it so came back to the city I love, and got another job a week later.

I've never been out of work for more than a couple of weeks. Always new avenues to move into.

I've lived in Lincoln for all of my 46 years bar 3 months. Been made redundant 3 times in that time.

The 3 months were instead of one of the redundancies where I relocated to Manchester. Hated it so came back to the city I love, and got another job a week later.

There's a difference between a career and a job...