Lincoln Handicap | Vital Football

Lincoln Handicap

HoofGrantBrown

Vital 1st Team Regular
Anyone else watching today's Lincoln Handicap?

And anyone old enough to have seen the race when it was still on the Carholme ?

(I'm not old enough I should add although spent a far bit of youth on the West Common).

Yes,
Anyone else watching today's Lincoln Handicap?

And anyone old enough to have seen the race when it was still on the Carholme ?

(I'm not old enough I should add although spent a far bit of youth on the West Common).

Yes, I have been present at the Lincolnshire Handicap, but too young to remember anything about it other than being there.

My mum was still in the Red Cross, having joined during the war, and she used to be on duty at the races, and took us with her

Some incredible footage there. No doubt helped by the cameras being able to use the main road for footage.

0:47 in the "The Full Official Story...." - That's a big old building next to the listed still existing Grand Stand!

I remember setting off kayaking from near to the back of the grandstand c. 1980. They still had the equipment in the weighing room, which is seen in clip.

Too young to see races when it was a proper race course, but did see some point to point races when they used to be held there until relatively recently. There is a fantastic Royal Flying Corps mural in the surviving stand. It dates back to about 1917 when the West Common was used as an Aircraft Acceptance Park for the various flying machines being built ar Clayton's, Rustons, etc.

Too young to see races when it was a proper race course, but did see some point to point races when they used to be held there until relatively recently. There is a fantastic Royal Flying Corps mural in the surviving stand. It dates back to about 1917 when the West Common was used as an Aircraft Acceptance Park for the various flying machines being built ar Clayton's, Rustons, etc.
I'm pretty sure in one of those clips as the horses raced along, I saw a light air craft parked on the common, not too far in either.