Lincoln Corinthians | Vital Football

Lincoln Corinthians

Brendan Bradley

Vital Squad Member
Has anyone any information, or even heard of, this club?

I'm certain it didn't exist in my formative years but I'd like to help out a relative who's doing some research and has newspaper reports of such a team dating back to the turn of the 20th century and up to the start of the 2nd world war.

Merthyr Imp

Vital 1st Team Regular
A quick Internet search throws up references to a couple of City players who previously played for Lincoln Corinthians - Billy Bean and Bernard Towler.

Reference to the players' entries in the Nannestads' 'Who's Who' mentions in Billy Bean's entry - ''He signed as an amateur from crack local side Corinthians'. That was in 1934.

Also, that Towler joined City from Lincoln Corinthians in 1932.

Bazzzer

Vital Squad Member
Thank you @Merthyr Imp and @Bazzzer
... relative told me he had one from 1896.
I've now found one in Nov 1894.

However, I suspect the term "Corinthian" was possibly widespread, implying "involving the highest standards of amateur sportsmanship". It need not mean they were the same team I suppose.

Perhaps you have heard of one of Lincoln's best Sunday teams, Adelaide Park (EDIT: which John Ward was signed from). The teams 1950/60s founder, Geoff Edson, happened across some old memorabilia and, after doing some research, resurrected the name. The original Lincoln Adelaide again was a team from the early 1900s, if not earlier.

Last edited:

Brendan Bradley

Vital Squad Member
It's all very confusing @Bazzzer as I've been sent a clipping from the Lincs Chronicle December 4th 1896 which has a match report on Lincoln Corinthians versus Saxon Street.

Other reports included St Andrews United v Adelaide, Heighington Swifts v Lincoln Victoria, YMCA v Branston and St Andrews Choir v Red Star

The Football League tables are also there so I've screenshot those. Interesting (to me) that The Wednesday are actually referred to as Sheffield Wednesday, even then.
0.jpg