Lincoln City Vs Chelsea 1970s Info wanted | Vital Football

Lincoln City Vs Chelsea 1970s Info wanted

StrangelyBrown

Vital Squad Member
A long shot.

My dad took me to my first LCFC match in the early 1970s. I am certain (I must have been 7 or 8) it was against Chelsea BUT just as certain it was not an evening game but a day time game (so it cannot have been the Kennedy/Peden benefit match). I recall standing on the corner between the Selenity and BM stands.

I still have memories of my dad commenting on Osgood's skills!

Question- does anyone have any recollection of any LCFC friendly in the early or mid '70's against Chelsea and roughly when would it have been.

My dad is no longer around so can't ask him but google is not helping on this one.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Only time we have played Chelsea, since the war?, certainly in the Peter Osgood era, was the Kennedy / Peden benefit match.

Although there was a 3 day working week, power cuts and a floodlight ban, the Club borrowed a generator so it could be played at night.
Wed 5 December 1973.

Thanks- I did wonder if my memory was playing tricks (at 50!!) as there was nothing else on google but my recollection is off a warmish sunny day.

thanks for the response- will keep looking. May have been a completely different match now!

Could have been but it doesn't ring any bells at all.

One more question- did Sincil Bank host any games in the '70s which were "show" games. IE not formal club games but games with players from several clubs?

I could wake up and this all be a dream!

StrangelyBrown - 1/1/2018 21:35

One more question- did Sincil Bank host any games in the '70s which were "show" games. IE not formal club games but games with players from several clubs?

Nobby Lawton testimonial in March 1972 v All Stars and Trevor Meath testimonial v Crystal Palace later that year. I recall Allan Clarke, Terry Conroy and David Herd turning out for the Imps in the latter.

GrotierBranfootLeigh - 30/1/2018 20:45

StrangelyBrown - 1/1/2018 21:35

Nobby Lawton testimonial in March 1972 v All Stars and Trevor Meath testimonial v Crystal Palace later that year. I recall Allan Clarke, Terry Conroy and David Herd turning out for the Imps in the latter.

That is really useful- it is starting to sound like an All stars type game- I would have been 5 years old in '72 which may make it a little early for my memory however it is closer than I thought I would get.

thanks

I was thinking about testimonial matches and i came across this. Only 6 years late :yes:

Attachments

• LCFC V CFC.jpg
    LCFC V CFC.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 3
I went to the Peter Housman testimonial game in1976. Osgood was playing for soton then but swapped sides at half time.
Didn’t start watching city properly until 1974. Can’t recall Chelsea? Was at the all stars game a few years earlier?