Lincoln City Penalty | Page 4 | Vital Football

Lincoln City Penalty

• Thread starter Deleted member 13556
  • Start date
I've been reading the thread on the Lincoln board about this and they are very unkind about our manager! Oh and most think it was at best a very soft pen but Jackson gave the ref a reason to give it
Let's be fair. We've only said nice things about our manager since he became our manager. Even then it's still a 48/52% split
The problem is that refs seem to have gone from one extreme to the other.
It used to be that they were less likely to give a foul in the box that they happy to give on the halfway line because of the consequences I.e. a probable goal.
Now it seems that they are looking to give any sort of contact in the box, ‘fouls’ that would almost certainly not be given elsewhere on the pitch.
It’s as if refs are looking to give pens.
So in that respect if you put your arms on a player in the box you run the risk of the ref giving a penalty, or being conned into giving one.
So I kind of agree with the Lincoln fans on that.
if we had been awarded that penalty we would almost certainly be saying the same thing.

Thing is if League One had VAR there would have been at least 3 penalty appeals. We would have had another ten minutes of officials pondering a screen added to the game and possibly still be arguing that we should have lost 2-3.
I'd still rather have just one decision to moan about and wait a few games for a soft pen to come our way and even it out.

All teams do it, including Gillingham, so it's slightly churlish for our manager to start preaching about diving. It's the main reason my interest in football has waned. When someone in the media (Danny Murphy springs to mind) states that someone was 'entitled' to go down, then the games up in my book.
Looks like Mr Evans has forgotten that Dominic Samuel is still a Gills player, that he signed - and seems more than happy to watch him falling over at the slightest touch in the penalty in every game - people in glasshouses?

It was similar to the Lincoln penalty I admit. Looked more of a dive on the replay than it did live, so he conned the ref.

To me a dive is if the fall is unnatural, particularly under no contact. Akinde gets shoved in the back (no matter how lightly) and Akinde falls to the ground but in a natural way.

With Lincoln Jackson pulls the player’s arm back and he falls face first. That’s not natural.

In an ideal world players wouldn’t need to con the referee by going down easily, but there’s a clear distinction for me between going down easily and diving.

To me a dive is if the fall is unnatural, particularly under no contact. Akinde gets shoved in the back (no matter how lightly) and Akinde falls to the ground but in a natural way.

With Lincoln Jackson pulls the player’s arm back and he falls face first. That’s not natural.

In an ideal world players wouldn’t need to con the referee by going down easily, but there’s a clear distinction for me between going down easily and diving.

I can't agree with your last paragraph, choosing to go down is cheating! To be awarded a penalty a player has to have had his progress impeded unfairly. Simply making contact does not always impede a player and he should be able to ride a fair challenge. A major plus for the attacker is that the defending player can no longer claim he did not intend to commit a foul, so going to ground has become the norm. The law must revert to the old system and state 'in the opinion of the referee', then VAR is no longer required. Football is not a no contact sport!

I agree with The Roone, I don't see the distinction? If a strong man is jogging in the park and gets nudged in the back, they will stay on their feet. If they are nudged in the back in the penalty box in a football match and fall to the floor, that is simulation / cheating / diving

So how do you quantify going down easily? Diving, as in no contact, is quantifiable. Going down because you feel the player’s a big lad and could’ve stayed up is more subjective. Imagine how bad VAR would be in this instance?

Please let's not have VAR for any form of fouls - that has to be the opinion of the referee. The ref assessors should take things up with the ref if they feel he's been conned and coach them on what to look out for, then they will hopefully improve.

Every manager , and most fans, seem to condone and indeed encourage players to 'take one for the team' with the deliberate foul in midfield to stop a breakaway.

So its logical to condone (their own) players who dive/fall easily. Until they dont this will continue. Johnson (Lincoln) clearly v good at this as no. of pens shows, but he will soon have a reputation and refs will now not give some he may deserve. Akinde did well to con the ref this time, but a few times we've seen refs not give what looks like a genuine pen, and Samual has not gone any pens (I think)
I dont like managers criticising opponents when they say nothing when their own do the same; but I suspect what Evans was really doing was trying to lodge in refs minds that Johnson should get a reputation and so less success at the con game in future

For me going down for any reason except a genuine foul (would be a foul anywhere else on the pitch) is cheating.

generally speaking it is noticeable that the best natural goal scorers do not seem to dive as much as i believe their first thought is to hit the target not 'can i get a penalty'.

Please let's not have VAR for any form of fouls - that has to be the opinion of the referee. The ref assessors should take things up with the ref if they feel he's been conned and coach them on what to look out for, then they will hopefully improve.

Every manager , and most fans, seem to condone and indeed encourage players to 'take one for the team' with the deliberate foul in midfield to stop a breakaway.

So its logical to condone (their own) players who dive/fall easily. Until they dont this will continue. Johnson (Lincoln) clearly v good at this as no. of pens shows, but he will soon have a reputation and refs will now not give some he may deserve. Akinde did well to con the ref this time, but a few times we've seen refs not give what looks like a genuine pen, and Samual has not gone any pens (I think)
I dont like managers criticising opponents when they say nothing when their own do the same; but I suspect what Evans was really doing was trying to lodge in refs minds that Johnson should get a reputation and so less success at the con game in future
As I said before I read the Lincoln thread on this and several of them were saying he goes down too easily with one or two calling him a diver

Another 2 penalties for Lincoln to come back from 2-0 down against Plymouth.
Just seen one of them on Sky and the guy absolutely threw himself down rather than go round the defender. They have been schooled to dive on any contact.

Another 2 penalties for Lincoln to come back from 2-0 down against Plymouth.
Just seen one of them on Sky and the guy absolutely threw himself down rather than go round the defender. They have been schooled to dive on any contact.

They said on SSN that that was George Grants 15th goal of the season, 11 (eleven) of them penalties. 11, wtf?