Lincoln City Penalty | Page 3 | Vital Football

Lincoln City Penalty

• Thread starter Deleted member 13556
  • Start date
Taking away that self governing ref and put in someone with millions of people looking over his shoulder and a bloke in the stands changing his decisions and you get a load of weak poor referees. Not all yet but given time the referees are going to get worse if nothing changes.

Agree there Chris.

But I wouldn’t say the refs are “weak” and most are not poor. They are all under extraordinary pressure. And cheating by “divers” to con them just adds to that pressure. And very unfairly too.

OSK:

Totally agree with what you say.

I would guess why this retropsective action is not taken is for legal reasons.

Imagine a player banned for diving who maintains he was "touched" would use legal action to clear "his good name".

A legal minefield would ensue.

Why would that start to happen now?
Players don’t take litigation when a VAR decision goes against them currently. Even when that has resulted in a red card.

I do agree with Roone there. In the rule book it says that the referees decision is final. Have they actually changed that law?

Agree there Chris.

But I wouldn’t say the refs are “weak” and most are not poor. They are all under extraordinary pressure. And cheating by “divers” to con them just adds to that pressure. And very unfairly too.
Maybe I would agree "weak" was a poor choice of word.i prefer your explanation to mine.

Why would that start to happen now?
Players don’t take litigation when a VAR decision goes against them currently. Even when that has resulted in a red card.

I do agree with Roone there. In the rule book it says that the referees decision is final. Have they actually changed that law?
I think being called a cheat (and banned for it) has different connitations to VAR decisons that are more clear cut (did he punch them etc - bar the mistake made at the weekend).

Cheating has strong negativity and premier league players have deep pockets.

I watched a tv programme many, many years ago about referees. It may have focussed on David Ellerrey, but he was the refin this particular part I remember.
He was reffing a game involving Arsenal and (I think) may have given a penalty to the opposition. They scored it and on running back to the middle Tony Adams ran past him and shouted “CHEAT”. Ellerrey whistled, called him over and said “ I object to being called a cheat. I may get decisions wrong sometimes, but I am most certainly not a cheat”.

Always remember it and had a new respect for him after it.

I watched a tv programme many, many years ago about referees. It may have focussed on David Ellerrey, but he was the refin this particular part I remember.
He was reffing a game involving Arsenal and (I think) may have given a penalty to the opposition. They scored it and on running back to the middle Tony Adams ran past him and shouted “CHEAT”. Ellerrey whistled, called him over and said “ I object to being called a cheat. I may get decisions wrong sometimes, but I am most certainly not a cheat”.

Always remember it and had a new respect for him after it.

Dover born:

Here it is. Not a penalty but a disallowed goal. I didn’t know or had forgotten that the Arsenal players didn’t know Elleray was mic’ed up either!

Please be aware that in other countries, even some top European leagues (Germany for instance) referee corruption has been proven with bribes used. Some South American countries have had to suspend leagues as corruption is so rife as to make the competition meaningless, some refs and players even being murdered.

We should be proud that in this country we have never had a bribery scandal involving referees.

I'm reluctant to criticise officials. Reffed a couple of kids games and it is really tough. One side or other bound to disagree, especially their parents!

I gave a lino pelters at Barnet a few years ago when they got a late equaliser and I'd have put my house on their scorer being several yards offside. Saw the highlights next day and the bloke had clearly run in from an onside position. Embarrassing.

As another poster noted, the players make far more mistakes than refs. I did a nerdy survey once when Henry was in his prime and the best Prem player imo. He made at least 10 clear errors, comfortably more than the ref in that match.

To be honest the refs and standards we have now are far superior to 10 years ago.

The problem is coaches and players. Standards and honesty.

I dont think there is any other sport where the protagonists try to cheat as much as they do in football there is more "gentlemanly" agreement in say cricket (if you know you're out you walk) or rugby etc. Whereas in football commentators blatantly state "the player should have gone down" etc.

An example is that "goal" Reading got awarded against Watford a few years back, everybody in the Reading team knrw is wasnt a goal, yet not one of them thought to say "its not a goal ref". Instead they just said ",thank you very much".

Accepting a goal when you know it wasnt a goal is as much cheating as diving or punching the ball in the goal in my view.

I dont think there is any other sport where the protagonists try to cheat as much as they do in football there is more "gentlemanly" agreement in say cricket (if you know you're out you walk) or rugby etc. Whereas in football commentators blatantly state "the player should have gone down" etc.

An example is that "goal" Reading got awarded against Watford a few years back, everybody in the Reading team knrw is wasnt a goal, yet not one of them thought to say "its not a goal ref". Instead they just said ",thank you very much".

Accepting a goal when you know it wasnt a goal is as much cheating as diving or punching the ball in the goal in my view.

Agree about most other sports.

AFL (Aussie rules, not the American 6 hour game) has an excellent culture around this sort of stuff.

Players get really “shamed” by their peers, media and fans if they are seen as weak or “go down easily”. Even if someone is poleaxed but put a little extra on their fall to the ground they are called out.

I’m not saying cheating and theatrics don’t happen, but it is very, very minimal, and players loathe it.

You even get some players who have a bit of a name for diving, are then often not given pretty clear fouls and the commentators will remark “Good, play on, the umpire saw him dive last week and he’s not falling for that rubbish”.

So much better than the shite dished up by a lot of football players in this respect.

I ref'd a women's game about 10 years ago. All the action was going on at the edge of the box. A defender got hold of the ball and hoofed it in the general direction of 'over there'. By the time I'd turned around the striker was legging it up the park, not a soul near her and scored. I subsequently found out she was 2 yards off side. I didn't have a clue (on so many levels).

Lincoln referee apparently admits he got it wrong

"The referee, with the benefit of looking at the television coverage when he got home, knew it was a big error, a big mistake, and he apologised"

Gillingham manager Steve Evans moving on after apology from match official Samuel Barrott (kentonline.co.uk)

Sure SE will be moving on, until Saturday and he has Kevin Johnson to comment on. Not sure his comments will have changed much, given Johnson's performance in our game away at AFC Wimbledon last season.

Let's hope SE has a big broad grin and a "well played ref" after our 3-0 victory at the Valley....................NURSE!!!!!!!!

I've been reading the thread on the Lincoln board about this and they are very unkind about our manager! Oh and most think it was at best a very soft pen but Jackson gave the ref a reason to give it

Why do you say he gave the ref a reason to give it? That sounds like the wanted to give Lincoln a penalty. The player dived and fooled the ref, he was conned by a cheat as simple as that. Retrospective punishment must be brought in.

The problem is that refs seem to have gone from one extreme to the other.
It used to be that they were less likely to give a foul in the box that they happy to give on the halfway line because of the consequences I.e. a probable goal.
Now it seems that they are looking to give any sort of contact in the box, ‘fouls’ that would almost certainly not be given elsewhere on the pitch.
It’s as if refs are looking to give pens.
So in that respect if you put your arms on a player in the box you run the risk of the ref giving a penalty, or being conned into giving one.
So I kind of agree with the Lincoln fans on that.
if we had been awarded that penalty we would almost certainly be saying the same thing.