Lincoln City: "Dark-hearted and cynical" | Page 4 | Vital Football

Lincoln City: "Dark-hearted and cynical"

• Thread starter Deleted member 10554
  • Start date
Yeah, we play some 'direct' football a lot of the time and can move it along the ground when required and possible, but at league 2 level you won't find any Barcelona lookalikes. Danny has the team playing to their strengths and I'm sure if we are playing league 1 football next season, the style of play may well change as will some of the players. I believe, assuming the Cowley's stay with us that we will be playing in the Championship in the next 5 years...Happy to be vilified by our fellow league 2 teams as we pass them on our march forward...

You say he was a teacher. For some weird reason I have "Wing Commander" in my head.

You're thinking of Charles Reep, who first came up with the idea of using those sort of stats.

Charles Hughes was a P.E. Teacher at, I think, Bradford Grammar School.

You say he was a teacher. For some weird reason I have "Wing Commander" in my head.

He acknowledged a wing commanders use of statistics, but damned if I can remember his name.

edit. Looks like that has been answered for me. Must learn to type quicker.

Gareth Ainsworth; turning cynicism into a fine art. John Beck would have been proud of him tonight.

I imagine we will be very happy if we play like Wycombe at Coventry or Accrington, and grind out a vital point (s).

I imagine we will be very happy if we play like Wycombe at Coventry or Accrington, and grind out a vital point (s).

Of course we would. Wycombe and Gareth got their tactics spit on last night and should probably got them all 3 points if it wasn't for Alsop making 3 or 4 outstanding saves.
They knew we start strong at home so they slowed the game down and got away with it. They knew we are so very one dmensional at the moment and if they can compete with Rhead , accept he will win his share of headers so pick up runners around him we are unlikely to score from open play. They knew our plan B is trying to do yŷplan A better.
It's not Wycombes job to come to Lincoln and entertain Lincoln fans , it's their job to pick up as many points as they can. Just the same as when we go away and opposing fans slaughter us for our gamesmanship and tactics.
What goes around comes around, all this holy than thou attitude is pathetic. They came with a plan, it worked spot on, we weren't good enough to beat them. Forget Wycombe I was more disappointed with our team selection and lack of a game plan in the 2nd half than I was with them or the ref

Of course we would. Wycombe and Gareth got their tactics spot on last night.

Agreed. It was awful to listen to (so god knows how it looked), and by the sound of it anti-football in the extreme, but there's two sides to every story and ours seems to be one of poor play in front of the goal.

It's not Wycombes job to come to Lincoln and entertain Lincoln fans , it's their job to pick up as many points as they can. Just the same as when we go away and opposing fans slaughter us for our gamesmanship and tactics.
What goes around comes around, all this holy than thou attitude is pathetic. They came with a plan, it worked spot on, we weren't good enough to beat them.
Agreed, sort of.
After the match no-one should complain about the 'gamesmanship', no matter if it starts from the first minute or the last; when it's a tactic we often employ ourselves. However, I'm all for being hypocritical during the match, if that's not the game plan for that particular moment for us, then as the '12th man' we need to make the officials know how very, very wrong they are for not punishing the gamesmanship.
And if it works, we'll have a collective cheeky smile on our face when the Refs back is turned.

I've just listened to this podcast. Painting the fence today. My biggest issue is that one of the pundits confused Ryan Allsop with Farman. They were talking about his (Allsop's) errors vs Swindon.

That lack of credence doesn't go down well.

As for dark hearted and cynical, and I'm reflecting on the season as a whole, I can see why some may think that. It doesn't make them right. It's just their perception.

Perception vs reality is another debate.

MacIntosh did later apologise for concentrating on how Shrewsbury lost, rather than our victory. Didn't take his slur back though.

Interesting that thommo said more than once they were surrounding the ref, every team do it just for some reason we've been singled out.
Stevenage were at the whole game, revel was a disgrace last week but we seem to be fair game.
The ref added 7 minutes today so some our dark arts were clearly spotted.
Top sod the lot of them!

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king!
The opposition only see it when we do it!.
Cynical time wasting from the kick off down at the Bank by visiting teams.

Last edited:
In the land of the blind, the one eyes man is king!
The opposition only see it when we do it!.
Cynical time wasting from the kick off down at the Bank by visiting teams.

Last week both Toffolo and Akinde got booked for time wasting/delaying the taking of a free kick. Yet when they scored the equaliser, their bloke booted the ball out of the ground and all the ref did was have a quiet word in his ear. Its funny how refs think you can only time waste when you are in front and in the last 20 minutes of a game.

What match were the Morecambe supporters that are complaining about the officials watching? Seriously? I have looked at their Facebook Group a few times since the match finished, and they appear to be blaming everyone but their own players for the defeat.

Thommo was replying live on radio to one of their loud supporters.

This supporter could clearly be heard saying things like 2he's been at it all game ref." and such like.

He referred to one cry for a foul with "no it isn't, that's challenging for the ball."

"Having now seen both Bury and Lincoln for me I'd much prefer Bury to win the league if only for the fact that they played the game in the correct manner and certainly more creative in terms of playing football.

We didn't help our chances to get something out of the game by applying zero pressure to their back line and as per usual one striker for most of the game was negative to say the least. One shot on target throughout the game was our sum of our goal scoring threat. Tactically once again we got it wrong allowing their back line to play the ball through midfield with no challenge coming from our lads whatsoever. I simply don't understand this tactic of playing at least 5 yards off an opponents defence. Once gain as v Bury they had at least 2 men up top for the majority of the game.

In short a terrible lack lustre performance frome our lads who basically showed Lincoln too much respect and showed for me how far we are from being hopefully next season a top 10 team.

As for Lincoln they will probably get promoted by whatever cheating means they can but for me I'd love it if they fell from grace and the league was won by the best team we've seen at the Globe..... Bury.

If you can be bothered have a read of some of the comments on their fans board. One comment that summed today up for me said that we could be playing until Sunday and still not score. How true.....
Last edited by redrobo on Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redrobo Posts: 645Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 10:23 am"
There seems to be some confusion in the world.