Lincoln City: "Dark-hearted and cynical" | Vital Football

Lincoln City: "Dark-hearted and cynical"

• Thread starter Deleted member 10554
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 10554

This according to the Totally Football League Show podcast on our win at Wembley. The presenters spent 5-10 minutes on Shrewsbury, and about two on us, stating the Rhead challenge probably led to our goal and a bunch of twaddle about us being, quote, "dark-hearted and cynical".

I say - boycott this show.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have two choices. You can either pay attention to what other people say, or not.

If you decide to listen to these sorts of programmes, or go on other sites, in order to find positive thoughts from either neutrals or fans of rivals, then you can't complain if you then find criticism instead.

If others won't say this, I will. Rival fans may admire the results and togetherness but this side is not going to win any admirers for artistic impression.

You may as well "boycott" Elliott Whitehouse for admitting immediately after the game to a national TV audience that the style isn't exactly pretty to watch.

I listened to the podcast and I didn't hear too much to argue with.

I genuinely don't care what pundits and other teams think, other than being mildly amused by the pre-conceptions their views betray.

I listened to the podcast and I didn't hear too much to argue with.

So you wouldn't disagree with the claim the Lincoln City method is "dark hearted and cynical"? Welcome to the forum, hope you stick around.

Last edited by a moderator:
So you wouldn't disagree with the claim the Lincoln City method is "dark hearted and cynical"? Welcome to the forum, hope you stick around.
We are "streetwise" and we (staff/players/managers/fans) know exactly what we are all about, and our strengths. Like Notty, the views on other forums brighten my day. I loved the outrage from some on the Shrews forum. Of course some take a more measured view, and are willing to admit that we were better than them on the day.
The Carlisle forum last week was an absolute joy to behold!

I can see why some would perceive it like that, Graeme. Like I said, everyone has to decide how much they care what other people think.

Here's what I care about: do we win games or not.

The only time I can remember us ever being complimented on our style of play was in the Schofield/Deehan era, and by the turn of the year everyone got wise to us and we limped into the playoffs when the season promised so much more than that.

But opposing fans on messageboards said nice things about us when they beat us, we did have that at least.

Usual rubbish said about Lincoln. Dirty players, diving and cheating, long ball ugly game blah blah blah.

I think the point here is media bias against us. There was quite a long thread about commentators being very myopic and one-sided, but this trumps the lot - the treatment of the segment, the utter bias, the insult.

I can understand a supporter saying things because they have emotional attachment, but for https://twitter.com/iainmacintosh to state this suggests something else.

Sorry, I'll stop banging on.

I think the point here is media bias against us. There was quite a long thread about commentators being very myopic and one-sided, but this trumps the lot - the treatment of the segment, the utter bias, the insult.

I can understand a supporter saying things because they have emotional attachment, but for https://twitter.com/iainmacintosh to state this suggests something else.

Sorry, I'll stop banging on.

I think the media coverage during the FA Cup run and run into the title was mostly positive. We were the darlings of BT last season with the entertainment they got from our exploits. Little Lincoln suddenly have 9k fans and are winning ugly. The purists won't like that and as we all know every club in this division play football the 'right way' according to their fans. If the right way means losing but being complimented on how prettily we lost then give me an ugly win any day and sod what others think.

Amazing that they spent longer talking about Shrewsbury when they have their centre-half on the show.

One pundit said that we just about deserved it which we did. They said that Rhead was fortunate to stay on the pitch which he was. They said that the Cowleys are a managerial pairing that not every set of opposing fans will like which is true.

They referenced the set plays which we know that NC spends a lot of time on. I don't mind the description of us being a 'cynical, dark-hearted, pragmatic side' as there are elements of truth to that in what we do and he did say later on that it wasn't to be viewed as a criticism of them. Have we forgotten Allsop's attempt to go down with an injury in the 2nd half for one of the calculated and forced 'time-outs' which the ref quickly shrugged off?

Thought people would take more of an objection to Allsop being described as a 'club legend'.

To view this as bias is totally wrong. It is comment from largely unconnected neutrals and it's a mystery to me why people get so snowblind by club loyalty that they cannot see it.

If you're indifferent to either club would you prefer to watch Manchester City or Manchester United? If an entertaining match is what you're after do you look to Sam Allardyce or Tony Pulis to provide it?

Brother Mouzone is right in what he says above. In fact, as I remember it, people were crowing about it when Schofield's way was working. There was a smug sense of superiority in the air.

Just the same as at, say, Wolves right now. After years of Mick McCarthy and Kenny Jackett pragmatism they've got a few Portuguese internationals and a slick manager and all of a sudden everyone else but them support clod-hopping, hoofball neanderthals.

But that's fandom for you, stubborn as mules and memories like goldfish.

Oh terribly sorry, I guess I should learn never to react to anything ever, especially when it is against the things I love. Carry on Brendan Bradley, you're doing great.

Oh terribly sorry, I guess I should learn never to react to anything ever, especially when it is against the things I love. Carry on Brendan Bradley, you're doing great.

Every one is entitled to a view and start a thread on it, although others may disagree and merge.